Does anybody read anymore?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Adeal4u • May 14, 2012.

1. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I see people asking questions in the forum that have already been answered in the FAQ. It seems like people don't read anymore, maybe it's because of the smartphone technology. They always want you to tell them what they're supposed to do, rather than finding out on their own. Does this bother anyone else, or am I the only one?

#1May 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  2. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    That's nice.. I wrote an answer and it disappeared...
    Shortly, once again.

It's nothing new, really. And it's the same in a real world.
    Although I can understand them sometimes. Because once in a while I also don't feel like searching some huge forum for a thing I'd like to know or I'm lost and literally can't find it. It's not very often, but I know this feeling when you are fed up of reading, fed up of reading LONG answers, instructions. And you just want it in a simple and short way.

3. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Some people are just too lazy to do things on their own and want others to do them for them... what do smartphones have to do with that? Is Siri the one to blame?

4. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    This board has a lot of topics, so it's probably hard for people to find answers. It has nothing to do with smartphones, although I will say that smartphones, in many cases, are making for stupid people.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    It's something that happens on a lot of forums. On one discussion site, they delete discussions if the answers can be found in the guidelines or FAQs, and then people complain because their discussions have been deleted! The problem is, people are in too much of a hurry, and don't want to waste time looking for answers to queries. The sad thing is, if they invested a little time in getting to know how sites work, they'd get a lot more from them.

6. zeus02

zeus02Member

Threads:
    This is entirely true but not to all,I actually find only that a certain group of people are affected in that way.

7. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that's what I was implying, that the smartphones are making people stupid. Do you see the irony in that statement? I don't mean this forum in particular, I mean forums in general. Nobody wants to do research anymore, they just want to be told how to think.

8. imokaye

imokayeMember

Threads:
    So true. I admit I could be like that at times too. LOL. We can also be guilty about this when we buy a brand new cellphone, and would not bother to read the manual first. Just went straight to exploring the handset.

9. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    Shoot, I see it all the time and it drives me nutty. If someone states that they tried to find it already, then it's not really annoying. But sometimes they actually say "I didn't bother searching, but blah blah blah?"

Now, I'm not talking about any specific place. This is just in general. It's especially frustrating when I type out a long explanation that has every single bit of info needed and I still get questions. It's like, WHAT? Go read the dang thing I just spent all that time on!

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It's pretty standard and has been for a long time. I don't see the connection to smartphones either....this was happening long before smartphones were mainstream. Regardless, it does drive me nuts at times, too.

11. kla0316@gmail.com

Threads:
    Great topic for discussion!
    I think because of technology, this is the "new" way we do things... We know someone else already knows that information we seek, so we just ask ask ask! Even though a little research on our part would find the information as well - such as "are there any new coupons posted today?" ... when we could just look up the information and research on several coupon sites, we just expect this information to already be available from someone else's research.

12. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you, someone understands what I'm trying to say. I have to explain every little thing it gets tiring after a while. I blame Google because it seems people will ask you a question as if you're Google. When you could just go read and you will find the answer. Everyone wants everything now, and no one is willing to put in some research to find the answer themselves.

#12May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
  13. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    It's like I heard that people are getting more and more stupid because/if they check their e-mails all the time ;) But I'd agree with it, I'm afraid. We're becoming a mental handicapped society.

14. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I think reading is overrated. Understanding is what it is about. I do not think that smartphones are making people stupid. Some just are. Have always been. Will always be.
    However....
    There was an interesting article on the cover of Popular Mechanics called "Is Google Making You Stupid?" Interesting article, some good points but yeah, I maintain that I just do not care.

15. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I am not a smartphone person so I do read quite a bit. I read magazines mostly because of the interesting articles. I am not to big on books though because it seems as though I don't have enough time in my day. I want to but I don't get around to it. I use to read a lot of books and then the old computer came along. It seems as if it's more important, the things that I do know how to use on here. I need to get back to it because I have books here that I bought 5 years ago at least that hasn't been read. It's shame on me I suppose.

16. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever people ask me questions, I would normally say, Google it. I don't understand why people can't do their own research or find their own answers! The same thing with forums... there were times I wanted to reply, please read the FAQ, okaythanksbye!

17. mommy0906

mommy0906New Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with most of the other members on here. There are always people who are not going to read the FAQ's. I personally just try to be polite and let them know that if they want the answer to their question, they should read the FAQ section. I know that there are a lot of people who are tempted to just tell the person the answer, but to me this is a mistake. By giving those people the answer to their question, they will never learn to follow the rules and read the guidelines first. It is important to get people to understand that taking the easy way, isn't always the best answer. They should learn how to find out things for themselves, otherwise we are all going to be wasting time telling them what they can easily find out on there own. I personally make it a habit to read the FAQ sections just to be on the safe side. I love this site, and I know that this is going to be one of the sites that I visit the most. Looking forward to hearing more from all of you.

18. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I also read the FAQ and I search the forum to see if the question I have has been answered already. If not then I will ask my question, but some people don't like to do it this way. I'm wondering if this is how it's going to be from now on. No one seeks answers by research they just rely on another person to tell them the answers.

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that people do not read what is right in front in them because it is easier to ask a question. But sometimes the question may have been asked just before you see the answer and go oh man to yourself. It happens to me more times than I care to say. I usually read before I ask a question because it makes me angry when people keep asking the same questions over and over.

20. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes people ask the same question because they didn't understand the answer the first time around. But I do agree with you when you say they must read before they ask a question. That is annoying however, but if they read and still didn't understand what they read, they should ask a question don't you think? Don't be so harsh on people that does not understand what they have just read, because they probably haven't read for such a long time to get the understanding of what they are reading.