Wireless internet without a router?

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by Mayvin • Aug 4, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I find that PC's seem to break down and get viruses even more than my laptops and I'm not really in the mood for the bulkiness of having a PC anymore with the endless wires connected to everything but you seem to need to connect a router (to have wireless internet) on the laptop.

I've been doing some research on finding a way to connect to the internet on a laptop without needing a router (or a PC to connect it to AT HOME, because I know you can do that like at a coffee shop) but so far not really coming up with anything. Just interested in simplifying my life lol without the multitude of wires. I know there are USB devices that you can plug into your laptop to get internet but you still need a router to use them.

Has anyone else been able to connect to the internet on a laptop without needing a router or a desktop PC at home?

#1Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not possible. You'd still need a router no matter what, unless the device is capable of connecting to a 4G network from Verizon, AT&T, or another company. The fact of the matter is that you can't plug-and-play to create a 4G device like that, though. A business that offers free Wi-Fi often uses a router, too, although you'll never see the router. You don't have many options right now, unless you want to use your smartphone as a mobile hotspot. It basically becomes a router, though, and then the data charges will be pretty high for daily use.

3. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Ok, well I guess that answers my question. Good to know, since I really was thinking this was possible to have internet in the home without a router. I will just try and find a way to not have a bunch of wires all over the place. I really can't stand that.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, you are right; there are USB plug in devices that will give you 3G service similar to what phone companies use which means it will not be very fast. That being said, you could have internet on your phone and then you wouldn't need to have the router or all the wires. And as you stated, so many places offer free wi-fi, you don't have to go far to be able to get onto the internet. I have a girlfriend who goes up and has a coffee at McDonalds all the time while she checks her emails. If its something that you're looking for, you can always try contacting your internet company and who knows, maybe more options will be open in the future due to consumer command.

5. Gavin

GavinMember

Threads:
    You can buy 4g cards now too. The router is a necessary piece of equipment to home networking unless you plan on plugging in directly to the MODEM, but if you have more than one client on your home network then its not going to get you very far. Good luck.

6. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    Uh... You can get a wireless router. You said your other option was connecting AT HOME. That's still a router you're connecting to. Another way would be to buy a phone that can turn into a hotspot. That way you just need a phone with you. i really don't see any other way.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Comcast has a program where if you use their internet, then you can connect to Xfinity-wifi hotspot anytime you are close to one.
    If you have Comcast, this might work for you; or if your ISP provider does the same thing as comcast does.
    It works similar to the free wifi hotspots at a fast food place does, but you don't connect to the store wifi, you connect to Xfinity through your comcast email.
    It is a pretty good way to connect when you are out and about, and don't want to use 4G or LTE, but is only good when you are close to one of their hotspots.
    If there is one close to your house/apartment, then you could also use it at home for a wifi connection.

8. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know what the US currently offers but there are sticks you can plug into your USB port and get connected through a network (usually a phone/ISP provider). No router is needed. As long as you are not in a rural area you can take your laptop to a gym plug in this USB stick and access the internet. But the monthly fees are substantially higher than just connecting to the internet using a router at home. Those devices are made for business people who are always on the move. Also they monitor your minutes and give you a download quota and everything.

9. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's not really possible, the router is what you are connecting to when you say you want to connect to the internet.
    That's unless you are using a USB dongle, which is something that you plug into your computer that let's you connect, it depends a lot from which provider you have, but that's usually a much more expensive solution and usually has bandwidth limits.