All I Am Asking Is, Give Apps a Chance?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by unstrung • Aug 6, 2014.

1. unstrung

unstrungMember

Threads:
    I resisted Smartphones for the longest time, I really did. And, I made fun of people who constantly talked about their apps - the whole idea seemed just plain silly. However, I eventually broke down and got myself and android phone and IMMEDIATELY drank whatever flavor of kool aid makes people want to incessantly download different apps. I admit it, I love them.

If you're anything like me, you probably tend to download every single app that you think might possibly have the slightest chance of being useful, entertaining, or otherwise beneficial or rewarding. And, since all apps are very definitely not created equal, you probably find that you often need to thin out the herd a bit and delete some of the apps that aren't cutting the mobile mustard.

My question is, how much of a chance do you give them before sending them off to app heaven? Are you an instant deleter who fires them up once and then makes the decision to keep or delete? Are you a diehard who tries every possible way to make an app do something that provides value before giving it the heave-ho? And, how does the amount (if any) that you paid for the app change your evaluation? There is no right or wrong answer, obviously, but I am curious how other people do it...

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't download that many apps, and they're not really that enticing to me. I'll download them and try them out for a couple hours over a day or two. If they don't suit my needs, then I'll get rid of them right away. I know plenty of people that download all of these apps and then never delete them for whatever reason. Having too many apps on your phone, especially ones that run in the background, can hinder the performance of your device, which is important to keep in mind when downloading them.

3. ItsZiggy

ItsZiggyNew Member

Threads:
    I download a lot of apps and I think I'd be labeled under "hoarder" as far as deleting them goes, I don't use up much of the space on my 60gb iPhone so I usually just forget about them entirely. I have about 40 game apps, dozens upon dozens of toolkit apps, and a few news/social network apps which are the only ones that I use daily. I mainly download new games that I'll never play just so I'll be prepared for long flights or drives.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually download a lot of them and leave them there for a while until I find enough time to test them all out. I do it this way because I don't want to forget to download them as some of them are only featured temporarily. When I do get the time to test them out, I usually just give a few minutes per app and if I don't end up liking it then I delete it immediately.

5. devilishomar

devilishomarMember

Threads:
    I usually judge an app by how it's presented in the App Store. I own an iPod Touch 4G with iOS 6 installed (I don't have the privilege to have fun with iOS 7 apps yet), and I browse the app store for different kinds of apps, not downloading them, but by looking at the description and pictures they've uploaded on the app store.

If the app that I'm looking at only has one preview picture uploaded to the store, I probably won't download it because it just feels like the developers are hiding something by not showing different aspects of the app. One picture says nothing, multiple say a whole new story.

6. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are times when I give apps a chance but most of the time, when I don't like the app, I just uninstall it right away.

IMO, there's no need to hold on to an app that you would not use anyway. It's just a waste of space. I'm trigger happy especially when I see the uninstall button.

There are apps saved in my phone that I have already been using for more than a year! Examples of these are Facebook and Google Chrome. These are useful in my everyday activities. As for other apps? If they're useless, bye bye apps.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't download that many apps. I have limited space. If I can download the app to my microSD card I will give it a chance. A few days at least. I will delete an app right away if it doesn't work as advertised and it runs on my internal memory. I have limited internal space. The app has to perform or it gets deleted.