Using lemons

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Aug 7, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that most people have lemons around The House, the question is, do we use them? I have noticed that sometimes one or two months can go by before I actually use the lemons I have, meanwhile they go dry of course, meaning I've wasted money. Do you always have lemons in the house? What use to you give to them?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never have lemons or fruits in the house at any time because I don't like fruits. But I noticed that when I was younger and staying with my parents, they had the same problem. They'd buy lots of lemons but no one would touch them. Most of them would just lie around until they were tossed away. This happened frequently but I never got to understand why they bought the lemons in the first place.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That is something surprising Denis, you don't like fruit? So what do you eat for healthy? Fruit is something I eat daily, at least 2 or 3 pieces per day, so I really can't imagine my diet without it, I think my stomach and everything else would complain. Are you a healthy person even when you don't eat fruit? Not even a lemon tea? :)

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suppose I am healthy. Maybe I make up for that by eating lots of vegetables. To be honest I don't know. The last time I ate a fruit was two or so months ago. 1 ripe banana. The problem with me is that anytime I eat fruits my tongue gets sore. I found the cause for that today:
    But I'm not going to see a doctor for that.

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I would suggest this: Flavour your water. If you cannot find a use for lemons in your food recipes look to drinks. The sliced lemon is a beautiful touch to chilled water. If you want to get real crazy try some cucumber in there with them. Gives you the hydration you need without the typical taste you expect from water.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Actually I've just seen a show on tv recently about flavoring the water and I was really surprise about it, it seems that just by putting some fruits in contact with the water it gets more tasty. I guess that with lemon it would be lemonade, I am going to try it, I fear it might be too acid though.

7. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I always have lemons in the house, I've been known to keep at least 3 on stand by just in case. I use lemons in cooking a bit but more for my beverages. I use fresh lemon in water, homemade iced tea and sometimes I make homemade lemonade. I like the no calorie flavor lemons give to food and drink items.

8. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I never actually bought lemons before because I don't use them at all. I don't like the taste of real lemon because I think it's too sour for my taste. People say that lemon is great for cleaning but I never found it effective at all, I have soaps for cleaning purposes. Other than the piece of lemon I get when ordering lemon tea, I've never found the need for them.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always have a at least half a dozen of fresh, organic lemons in my kitchen. I start my day with a glass of warm water with the juice of a quarter of a lemon. By the end of the day I have usually consumed at least three lemons. I also frequently use lemon juice in my cooking. I got very ill last year and my therapist recommended lemon water to me. It has worked wonders. The only thing to watch out for is the high acidity in lemon juice. It will affect the enamel of your teeth. That's why it is recommended to drink it with a straw and to rinse out the mouth with water afterwards.

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    3 lemons a day seems like a lot Dora, but at least it's a healthy fruit so it can't do any harm :)
    I usually have some lemons around the house, but never too many, I really only buy more when I run out. I love using lemons when cooking fish and also to dress my salads, but flavoring the water seems like a great idea, I have to try that out.

11. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    I use lemons and limes all of the time for all kinds of different stuff. I am always cooking Asian or Mexican food, and a squeeze of lemon goes great on a lot of dishes from both. I use fresh lemon or lime with my Thai curry beef. Whenever I make tortillas, especially chicken, I squeeze a little lemon juice on them like a condiment. Not to mention it goes great with fish. And for salad, I don't use dressing, I just use lemon juice and olive oil.

12. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I buy lemons to make homemade lemonade but sometimes I'll wait a little to long and the lemons will dry up, but that's only happened once or twice, usually when I buy them I use them right after I buy them, well within the same week anyway, otherwise there's no point in getting them.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a lemon tree at home, but it's the green type of lemon. It also rarely gets used and if it does, it gets used only as an ingredient in a homemade condiment or it's used to clean the toenails since it makes them white. So we don't waste any money on them at all, but they do get wasted a lot over here at home since it's not used often, so the fruit just wilts.

14. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I put the peels in the garbage disposal to make it smell better. I also use it for cooking. Surprisingly I use lemon a lot while cooking. I use it also to make juice as well or you can use them for cleaning and incense as well. Plenty of uses for it. I never really think about it until I run out of lemon and them I'm like "NO!"

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If money is tight, I won't buy fresh lemons, because they aren't an absolute necessity - I will just stick with the bottled lemon juice in the mean time. But if I am not cash strapped, I like to have some fresh lemons and limes on hand at all times. I've been brewing my own iced tea for a couple years now, so a slice or two of lemon in it is nice from time to time. But be careful, because too much lemon will start to bleach the tea and make it look weak and watered down. As someone else noted, it's also nice simply in a glass of ice water, to brighten it up. I love some fresh mint (bruised a bit to release it's flavor) along with some lemon slices in my ice water. Lemon juice is also great for simple salad dressing recipes, or just toss your lettuce with lemon juice and olive oil then season with salt and pepper. Some fresh lemon juice also works well in a simple marinade for chicken - it's just lemon juice, white wine, butter, salt and pepper and a little water. Warm it though in the microwave until the butter is completely melted into it, then dip boneless skinless chicken breasts in it just before tossing them on the grill (season the meat some more as well once it hits the grill). The lemon/butter/wine ads a nice tangy note to the exterior of the meat and helps it get nice grill marks too.

If some of your lemons start to go bad before you can consume them, use them to freshen your garbage disposal instead. Chop the lemons up into smaller pieces, and toss them down the disposal with running water - it gets rid of any bad odors and leaves a nice lemon scent.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We use lemons to flavor the water, squeeze some into the tuna fish salad when it is mixed together. Lemon in tea hot or cold is great, squeeze some on cooked vegetables and rub some lemon on your hands if you just chopped onions or handled chicken. As you can see lemons are used in my house. And don't forget a big glass of lemonade.

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I've drank one of the best drinks ever this last month, passion fruit lemonade, so I guess I am giving lemons a new use in the next days, because I am going to try to replicate that drink. It doesn't seem too hard, sugar, water, lemon and passion fruit, the most refreshing drink you guys can imagine.

18. johnlena112

johnlena112New Member

Threads:
    With more juice and more zest that most lemon bars, these lovelies really pop with bright lemon flavor. The optional hit of almonds in the crust adds richness to balance the lemon flavor beautifully. You can use Meyer lemons in these bars, but I recommend balancing the sweeter, floral notes of Meyer lemons with at least half Lisbon or Eureka lemon juice to maintain some of the perky, tart flavor.

19. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I actually have the opposite problem, I never have lemons because I use them up too quickly. The main thing I make with lemons is lemonade. It's delicious and so easy to make that every time I have even one lemon in the house it is bound to become lemonade. Sometimes I even use them to pour on some of my meat.

20. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I use lemons excessively. Its acidic property is known to be used quite a lot for household cleaning. Also, I enjoy drinking lemon juice quite a lot, many a times. Lemon juice is one of the best ingredients to add a unique taste to your food. I just love to use lemon for everything. Whenever my mom comes to my home, she helps me to store the lemon juice in a container. It is easy to use in that way.