Movie Reviews

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Aug 8, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Where do you guys get your movie reviews?

I often check movie reviews first before renting or going to the movies, and usually, I just go to the known sites like IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes, and they are often good enough for me to make an informed decision, but I'd like to hear of more sources if you guys have any. I know there are a lot of movie reviewers on YouTube but so far the ones I've found are either too boring or kind of annoying.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like Rotten Tomotoes. It's by far the best place to get your movie reviews from. Anyway, you can find great movie reviews on htttp://www.metacritic.com/

Normally though, I don't read movie reviews because I want to find out more about a movie. Most critics try to tear apart movies. The more negative reviews I see on a movie, the more likely I am to watch to see why film critics think it's bad.

#2Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  3. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I don't read reviews. I agree with the previous comment. Critics go into a movie assuming it is going to be bad and the reviews seem to reflect this. I lean more on word of mouth from friends who have seen the movie. Or better yet, I'll watch the previews and if it is something that I personally think looks good, then I will go and watch it to find out for myself! I can't tell you how many times the critics have raved about a movie that I couldn't stand OR ripped up a movie that I actually enjoyed a lot.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I usually check out ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. I also make it a habit to check out reviews from people who actually watched the movie since some movie critics might be too artistic or heavy handed when reviewing the movie. I also don't check on reviews that often for movies that I'm really rooting for since it might affect my personal preference and judgement of the movie.

5. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I usually check Rotten Tomatoes as well if I'm looking for the review of a specific movie, but as for reviews of movies that came out this week I follow a couple of blogs and podcasts.
    I rarely read professional reviewers though, they sometimes have their own agenda and have a different criteria than regular people.

6. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I never follow reviews' opinions even though I watch them. I mostly go to IMDB and IGN for movie reviews. The thing with reviews is that they are a person's opinions so it's going to be different for every person. As long as you believe that the movie suits your taste you should go for it. Don't let reviews dictate what you want and don't want watch.

7. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also usually go to Rottentomatoes for my movie review fix. What I like about Rottentomatoes is that there are a lot of movie critics giving their two cents. I don't like IMDB because their movie reviews seem to be quite high.

Are movie reviews important? Well, they are to me. Movie reviews help me decide which movie to watch so that I won't be spending my money on crap movies.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I really want to know a lot about a movie, for example who is in the cast, movie quotes and stuff like that, I go to IMDB, and only rarely to Rotten Tomatoes. But I'll usually just check for reviews on Netflix or some random blog I see around.

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually ask my friends about a particular movie and it really helps to know about different movies from your own friends to help you think which would be a good movie to watch. I am too lazy to search the web and find out professional reviews for a particular movie. Also, most of the time it is difficult to relate to the person who gives the review if you do not know that particular person. Hence, I rarely keep track of any review sites and prefer to know opinion from people I usually know.

10. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    Rotten Tomatoes remains as the best site to find reviews on movies that you are planning to watch. What's the site trustworthy is that it aggregates dozens of reviews from various sources. This allows you to gauge the general reaction to a film. Additionally, there's a scoring which is determined by a combination of ratings from professional movie critics and ordinary film fans.

I would also suggest that you check out the film's ratings on MetaCritic. For the latest reviews on the latest movies, I highly recommend IndieWire Playlist and Rope of Silicon. These sites talk about nothing but movies. In short, they know what they are talking about.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go to a site called Rotten Tomatoes for viewing movie reviews. It compiles various movie reviews by critics from all over the web. I feel this is the best place to look because it lets you look at all these reviews and compare to see how many good and bad reviews there are. If there's an overwhelming amount of bad reviews for a movie, and their reasons are generally the same, that's a red flag for me.