Documentary Recommendations

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Aug 8, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm currently in a documentary binge phase, so I'm hoping to get some recommendations from our members here. The last one I watched was pretty good which is The People vs. George Lucas, and I found it to be very well made that I stayed interested and attentive even though I'm not really a Star Wars fan and haven't even seen much of the movies. So feel free to recommend any type of documentary covering any topic you find interesting. Thanks!

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoc3roT81nU[/video]

2. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Hi DrRipley :)

I find the "An Inconvenient Truth" (about climate crises/global warming) a very interesting documentary. It's really an eye-opener for me. The ending statement made by former US President Al Gore really got my attention and made me think about a lot of things. Here's Mr. Gore's statement:

"Each one of us is a cause of global warming, but each one of us can make choices to change that with the things we buy, the electricity we use, the cars we drive; we can make choices to bring our individual carbon emissions to zero. The solutions are in our hands, we just have to have the determination to make it happen. We have everything that we need to reduce carbon emissions, everything but political will. But in America, the will to act is a renewable resource."

I think I'll watch it again this weekend. :)

3. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    One of the most important topics today is our food supply, if you haven't seen Food Inc. you should definitely watch it. My warning though, once you start going down that rabbit hole, you might not escape easily. There are a million things about the way we eat, and what is offered to us to eat that make me cringe. Once you've gotten past that you can watch Corn King, and a Forks Over Knives on a similar topic.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Thanks! I've already seen Al Gore's documentary as well as Food Inc. but I've never heard of King Corn and Forks Over Knives. I just looked them up and they do seem very interesting. I'm very interested in crops and health, especially when they are presented in a very entertaining manner. I'll have to check these out soon and hopefully they will be easy to hunt down.

More recommendations are welcome for anyone else who can chime in!

5. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    I would highly recommend The Act Of Killing by Joshua Oppenheimer. I've seen this documentary several times already and it never fails to both amaze and touch me. This is probably because the setting of the documentary is very close to home. The film follows former war lords in Indonesia recounting their crimes during a distant war. The scary thing is that these war criminals have never been prosecuted for their atrocities. In fact, a lot of them currently hold lofty seats in the government of Indonesia.

6. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not much of a documentary watcher, but there have been a few that have caught my attention.

The Paw Project: It's a documentary about declawing animals and the consequences of doing this procedure on them. It really opened my eyes to that issue and veterinary care in general.

Blackfish: Documents the lives and treatment of Orcas and other aquarium animals kept in Seaworld and similar places.

Happy: It's pretty much what the title says. It studies happiness and what people can do to achieve it.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Beware! This documentary has a couple scenes that involve very large whale genitalia that you're not really expecting until it's already filling your screen, lol. I don't recommend watching this one with family necessarily.

8. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I was just watching a video of the mysterious Bermuda Triangle. It's actually pretty interesting. The Bermuda Triangle is known for the tragic events that seem to happen in the place such missing planes and ships without a trace. Some believe there is some superstitious things going on in the spot, other believe there's a rational explanation for it. Here's the link of the video if you're interested:

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Supersize Me was a good documentary about a healthy man taking on the challenge of eating nothing but McDonald's for a whole month. His health deteriorates and he finds himself addicted to the food, eating it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It definitely sends a strong message about moderating how much fast food you should eat.

10. Serenity Fay

Serenity FayMember

Threads:
    I've actually just finished watching a box set by the History Channel,about ancient Egypt. It covered everything from the pyramids to the Rosetta Stone. A really good introduction for anyone who may be interested in ancient Egypt and wants to investigate further afterwards. Wasn't too expensive either, as I got it on Amazon.

11. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    Since there was a few references to nutrition, try and watch FAT HEAD, GMO OMG, CANCER IS CURABLE, FAT SICK AND NEARLY DEAD, FED UP, AND GENETIC ROULETTE. All of these docs deal with proper nutrition and how messed up the media, commodity market, and the greed of large corporations have influenced the scientific and education system to believing misleading info in the hope of financial gain.

12. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Some of the ones I have watched recently and liked were "Jesus Camp" about fundamentalist Christian summer camp, "Secret People" about leprosy in America, and "Inside the 50 Shades". You can watch a lot of free documentary films at

My alltime favorites include "Go Tigers" (high school football in Ohio) and Devil's Playground (the Amish on rumspringa).