Can Traveling Alone Save You Cash?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Aug 9, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Traveling alone has it's pros and cons but let's look at the financial aspect of traveling alone. Is it bad or good for your wallet?

If you're going to stay in a hotel then probably you'd have to pay full-price for a room which you could have split up with someone if you had a friend or spouse traveling with you? That's probably the only drawback of importance than I know of.

I've been traveling solo for long and I'm sure I spent far less money than I'd have spent if I had someone tagging along. What do you think? Do you save more traveling alone or when you take someone along?

2. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    It can both save you cash and cost you more, depending on your preferences. If you are going to sleep in hostels and want to have privacy, you will definitely pay considerably more than you would if you traveled with your friends. However, if you don't mind staying in the bigger rooms with up to 10 beds, you can save a lot.

If I travel alone, I try to find a Couchsurfing host. This way, I can save A LOT of money. Around 10-15€ per day accommodation alone. Not to mention the benefits of having a local show you the hidden corners of the town and tell you where the cheapest drinks are sold.

3. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Traveling alone probably does cause you to spend more than you normally would if you were traveling with someone one. If you were with some one else like you said you could split the cost of hotels and maybe attractions you choose to see. I think when traveling alone its a good idea to find ways to save money as much as you can.

4. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    I think travelling in a group of 3 or 4 is more cost efficient. As you can always split costs of your hotel rooms and cabs. Also then chances of getting scammed are less.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are pros and cons. Traveling alone you can choose a cheaper bus or train journey as I found when attempting to travel with a friend who wanted to get back for a pub quiz, meaning we would have to get an expensive peak train back. Also you can be flexible on dates and how long you want to stay or not.
    The only advantage is sharing a cab or a nicer hotel room. Those are the only things I find traveling with someone else would make it cheaper. I have found travel companions on my travels and shared rooms with them, so it can work out sometimes as that is usually the main concern. I have shared with someone I met on the bus and we pooled our money together to get an air conditioned room!
    Other than that I choose places where it is a room rate rather than per person occupancy.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it depends on the person or the group that you're with. As a group, you'd have much more capabilities to save since you could split the bill on many products and activities, but the group must be all on the same page of trying to save. Otherwise, you'd just get dragged into spending for activities that you might have otherwise been able to avoid if you were on your own. I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing though since if you are traveling I think you shouldn't worry that much about saving.

7. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    If you are very familiar with the destination, traveling alone can be more cost-effective. When you are alone, you can eat and sleep just about anywhere you like, as long as it's allowed in the place of course. You can accomplish a lot of things without having to worry if your companion is hungry or tired or sick. You can rent a bicycle to take you to inner places you wish to reach. You can even save that leftover bread for later if you are scrimping on food without minding anyone else. It would not be economical if you book in a multi-star hotel. But there are lots of places that can provide accommodation for lone travelers.

8. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have travelled alone and there are definite financial benefits. First and foremost, lodging is cheaper. You don't need to get a big hotel room to accommodate you and your family. Also, you can pass on eating at restaurants and opt for delis and other places that offer less expensive food. Of course, the fun factor isn't as high. As the saying goes, 'the more the merrier'. However, your pocket won't suffer much because of a five day trip out of town.

9. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of people set off alone. It's easy to make friends in the hostels and maybe travel together and i think travel alone is not big issue for the male on the other side also have an issue for female,s..

10. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think it can save you a lot of money, because obviously you only have one person to think about, and you can often pay less to accommodate one person than you would for two - for example you could rent a room in a house, or sleep on somebody's sofa, or something like that. I think you do have to be rather brave to want to travel on your own in the first place, though, as you really do have to be comfortable with your own travelling abilities. It's not something that I would be able to do personally, not unless it was very firmly staying in my own country!

11. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's easier and cheaper to travel with someone, assuming the other person is paying for his expenses.
    Not only do I think it's a lot more fun, there are many things where you can split costs in order to save money, like hotel rooms, wine bottles at meals, taxi rides, etc.
    This is all assuming you're just going with a friend who is paying for his own expenses though...

12. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    It's cheaper as long as you don't act (and spend) like you're traveling with companions. If you're alone and stay in hotels rooms the whole deal is more expensive - you have no one to share the cost with. But if you sleep in hostels or try couchsurfing, like Kek suggested, the cost goes down fast. So in the end it depends, act like a lone traveler and you save, act as a group and you leak money.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Overall, you spend more money if you're traveling by yourself. However, there is more flexibility to choose where you want to stay at, where you want to go to, and control your money better. That means you know where you want to go and you spend accordingly, instead of depending on someone else's preferences as well. And of course if you're staying at a hostel and sharing your bedroom with more people it gets cheaper. I love traveling by myself because of the flexibility to stay wherever I want and do whatever I want to do!

14. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Well of course it can & it will. Paying for round trip tickets for one is naturally cheaper than two. However, by car, then 2 people would be a better idea for financial reasons. Gas can be split while putting two incomes together is always better than one.

15. daren

darenMember

Threads:
    travelling alone or with someone, both have advantages and disadvantages. if you are travelling with some one you can share all the budget. if you are travelling alone you have to spend less. so, its depends on you that how you will enjoy more.

16. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    Daren! You are absolutely right. I totally agree with you. I also have the same thought about it. Usually I love to travel with my friends and Family. Travel with someone is always a source of extra enjoyment and pleasure. I always feel better to travel with friends or family. In my life approximately twice a time I travelled alone and it was not a bad experience for me. I enjoyed it too.