If a Movie is Leaked, Would You Still Watch it in Cinemas?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Athenagdlyt • Aug 11, 2014.

1. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Like in the case of Expendables 3, everyone knows a leaked copy has circled the globe. If you had the copy, would you still watch it in theaters? Some say this was a gimmick by the film makers themselves. They would then include in the official theater release some scenes you don't see in the leaked copy, making you want to watch it even more. If this is true, this is some brilliant marketing strategy.

2. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I think it would have been a really stupid move if it's deliberately leaked by the film makers but I highly doubt it. As for the question, if the quality is good enough then I won't go and watch it at the cinema because I already know the story. Anyway, I don't ever watch leaked movies because they are just bad in terms of quality.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If it had significant differences such as with the case of when Wolverine Origins work print was leaked and it was unfinished meaning all the CGI hadn't been put in, I'd more likely just skip the leaked version and wait for the theater release, but if it's only missing a few scenes and I already had the leaked copy, I probably wouldn't bother especially if those scenes were only minor.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't go to the movie theater anyway because the tickets and concession food are too expensive. That works out fine because I'm cynical and haven't gotten excited about a new movie in years.
    There are too many superhero movies and sequels now.

5. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    No, I would not spend money to watch a movie that's online and free. It's just the truth (for me).

Because of the prevalence of leaked movies, I think the movie industry is going to change their approach to making money. As with music, it's getting easier and easier for the general public to gain access. So, they'll have to figure out a method to capitalize on entertaining the masses in a more lucrative manner.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't go to a theater often anyway. I do watch movies online without paying for them, even if they're still in theaters, etc, and I don't find it to be anything to weird.

That being said, I think the experience is totally different, too. So when I do go to the theater, it's totally different to see it on the big screen with surround sound vs a tiny, poor quality version on my home computer.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't go to the movies much any more, there really are not that many movies I want to see and the cost to something I choose not to support. I can get movies free on my computer but I still do not watch them because often the quality is so poor I find it hard to stay focused on what is happening in the movie. To answer the question if I have seen it once that is enough I usually do not look at a movie more than once.

#7Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. If the quality was poor, then there's no point in trying to watch it online. It's funny that you should ask this. I tried to watch a movie yesterday online that's in the cheap theaters and it wasn't for longer than like 5 minutes that I could stand it. It was so difficult to hear and the picture wasn't great either.
    Otherwise if the quality was great then why go to the theater when you could just watch at home for free?

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Was the leaked version in a high quality format and as perfect as a released movie!? I'm not usually "in" on leaked movies and music, so I'll usually watch it in the movies without any problems!

10. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    If the movie is good I watch it at the cinema also - that big screen sure beats my TV and PC monitor. Let's take Guardians of the Galaxy for example. For one reason or another I watched a bad copy in the time it took for a worldwide release. Then as soon as the movie was out I went to the cinema to watch it in all it's 3D glory. Money well spent!

11. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Probably not. I don't go to the movies much nowadays anyways. Expendables is not really my type of movie, i haven't seen the first 2 movies but everyone seems to be so crazy about the it so maybe it's really good, but frankly i don't care. Maybe if it's a movie that i care and strongly passionate about say for example, a movie adapted from a book. If i'm a fan of the book naturally I'd want to see the movie version and see if it will live up to my expectations. Now, if that book-turned-into-movie leaked online, I'd probably still watch it on the cinemas just so i could get the whole experience. ;)

12. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Well, my husband and I saw a copy of it (Expendables 3) and it was good quality copy. Storyline? Not worth a buck you'll spend on theaters. But I think it got my hubby pumped up and endlessly discussing it with his friends on FB.

13. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    Yes I would still go. If I want to go it's because I think the movie looks good and would want to support the people who created this film and deserve to be compensated for it. I'm not saying oh shame on you for watching free movies I'm just saying I'd rather not do that, just to clarify.

14. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If a movie was leaked and I get to watch it on my computer, I would no longer watch it on the big screen. It would just be a waste of money.

If a movie was leaked and I haven't seen it yet, well, I'd ask around for somebody who has a copy so that I could watch it later on. Oh, and I won't watch it on the big screen either. If I don't have access to the movie that was leaked and I hear that it's pretty good, Then that's the time that I would go out and watch it at a movie theater.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hardly watch any new movies nor search for ones which have been leaked. Because there's no theater in the small town I live in, going to watch a movie in the cinema is not an option for me.

I always have to wait for the DVDs to be released then wait just a little while longer to get a used copy of the DVD. It's always much cheaper that way. Had the option of watching the movie in a theater like in the past maybe I'd go watch the movie whether it was leaked or not as long as it's entertaining.

16. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I have not and will not go see a movie at the theater especially when the quality was as good as Expendables 3. My home theater is just as good in quality and sound anyway, so I would be foolish to go and pay for it when I can watch on a 70" screen tv.

17. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on the quality of the leaked copy really, I mean if it's really crappy that you can't enjoy the full movie then why bother right? And even if it's leaked I would still watch in theaters since, well you can't really compare your movie watching experience on a theater to just a 14" LCD screen.

18. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Hmm. Good question. I think it's a good marketing strategy but also a very risky one. If studios are purposefully leaking their own movies to drive up interest in the film, they must be careful. People can see the leak version and decide to wait until the DVD release or rent the movie online through Amazon or Google Play once it is available to the public for purchasing if they want to watch new scenes in the film. This could effect a studio's pocket book to say the least. I wouldn't mind watching a leak copy of a movie if the picture quality is good. If the picture quality is awful, I can wait till the official release date in theatres or rent it online through Amazon or Google Play.

19. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I would not watch a leaked copy of a movie. I don't go to the movies that often. So if I feel moved to see a movie, I prefer to have my money go towards the movie's revenue.

The pilot of a new show was leaked earlier this summer. There have been several posts about it on Facebook, but I haven't been tempted to watch the pilot.

20. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I would not go to the Cinema to watch a movie that has been leaked, this proposition sounds unfair, I know, but in trying to be practical, if the quality of the leaked version is just as good as the one that you will see in the Cinema, who would go to the Cinema instead? watching the leaked version online will not only be more comfortable for you,because of the fact that you are in your comfort zone-your home,the fact that you can watch it at home will certainly save you money too, and who does not want to save money? Who wants to spend all the money they have? Right... I thought so, so though it is indeed cutting into the profit of the Cinemas worldwide when leaked movies are uploading online, millions of people worldwide benefit by saving from going to the Cinema, so...I think, there is more good than bad done when movies are uploaded online.