When Rating Customer Service . . .

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Denis Hard • Aug 13, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had to fill a survey that required me to "rate my overall satisfaction with the service I received" when I contacted the customer service department of a certain company. The customer service rep had tried to really helpful and she made me feel confident that my problem would be solved. Unfortunately, the problem wasn't solved.

The next day I got this email asking me to fill the short survey I mentioned earlier. Since the lady had tried her best to help me, I said I'd been satisfied with the service I'd got.

Supposing you were in my shoes and a customer service representative at some store tried to help you with something but the issue was beyond her, would you give that person a negative rating should the store follow up to find out whether you were satisfied with the service you got?

2. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I think that's a good question. I have had situations like that where a customer service rep tried to assist me with something and they did try but the situation was just too beyond their expertise. In those cases I will try and talk to a manager who can more help me. I probably wouldn't give the person helping me a bad rating if they were pleasant and really trying to help me even if I didn't get the results I didn't want.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I give the particular person a good rating, but I always leave a note that my issue itself still wasn't resolved. They usually have questions that indicate a different between the service and if your issue was resolved, so I much prefer those surveys so I can applaud the rep, but still criticize the lack of resolution.

4. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    It would really depend on the situation and the person.
    Like you, I would probably give a good rating because the person was nice and really put the effort in.
    I'm always ready to give good ratings for these type of stuff. You really have to try hard, in order for me to go out of my way and complaint or give a really bad rating...

5. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to say I wouldn't give them a bad rating because they made and effort to help. Of course I would of looked at to what extreme they went thru to help me to give my rating.

6. PhilA

PhilAMember

Threads:
    I don't give a bad rating in circumstances like this one you mention. It sounds like the rep was acting in good faith to do the best they could, and that's all you can really evaluate. Is anyone else getting annoyed with constantly being asked to fill out feedback forms? I a m starting to ignore them they are being thrown at me so often.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The survey asked if the service was good not if your problem was solved. Most of the surveys I have received that asked me to rate the service also ask if the problem was taken care of to my satisfaction. If your survey did not give you the chance to let the company know that your problem was not resolved there may have been a place that you could write that information in or maybe you could send a seperate email customer support stating your situation.

8. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    A well thought out survey will ask you to rate the customer service rep on a number of characteristics (for example, in your case you might rate the rep highly for friendliness/attitude, but a bit lower for knowledge). If not, in general I would rate the rep fairly well because they did their best to help me and if they could not, it appears to be a shortcoming of the company's system to either educate their employees or to provide an appropriate assessment survey.

9. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    I always rate based on intentions and if I feel someone is doing their best to try to help me, I'll give them the grade there even if I may need to call back another time. If I get brushed off then it's obviously a different scenario.
    If it becomes a more complicated matter with good and bad elements, then at worst I'll simply not do the survey at all.

10. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I rate customer service reps based on a few things - friendliness, effectiveness and honesty.

If the individual cannot help me, but tries and fails, I am satisfied. What I don't like are rude customer service reps who show no empathy and act as though I am bothering them. I also hate the ones who act like they are my best friend, but never follow through with what they say they are going to do.

11. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    It's really hard to say. If there was a way to say that you were dissatisfied with the service and not the employee, then that would be the way to go. Obviously, the girl was not properly trained, so it wasn't really her fault. However, the service was still unsatisfactory because your needs weren't met. It really is a tough one, but if I had to choose, I'd say I wasn't satisfied.

12. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I would rate the rep I dealt with very well but as others have said make a note that my initial issue has yet to be resolved. The reason I would not penalize your first contact is because they could have reached out to the correct department and even followed up--possibly more than once--but if the next person in the chain doesn't want to do their part chances are the person you spoke to has their hands tied...or may not even know the issue was not dealt with.

13. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    If I had to rate the person I talked to, and they couldn't fix it, since the root of the problem was somewhere else, I would definitely give them a good rating! They did everything in their power to help the customer. They couldn't, but they aren't to blame, so why should they have to deal with the consequences of a bad rating? If I had to rate the company, however, I would choose to leave a bad rating, since they couldn't fix my problem, and they had the ability to do so.

14. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would do this too. If the customer service representative did all she could in order to help and was very accommodating and polite, I would give her a good rating. However, I would also need to inform the entity that the rep wasn't able to solve the problem. I think that it would just be fair. I only give a bad rating if the customer rep is very impolite.

I've only been asked to give a rating to customer service reps of JustHost and I've always given them perfect ratings. :)

15. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    I have been in your shoes a few times and I agree that's a tough one. I decline to take the survey and just leave it at that. It's not fair to give a bad score for that person if they genuinely tried their best to help and it was out of their hands.

16. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I personally would not take the survey if I was not satisfied with the results. I know you mentioned that the customer service rep tried her best to help you, but she was supposed to have been trained to deal with every type of problem that could occur. The only way that I would give someone a bad rating is if they were rude to me while on the phone, would not answer all of my questions, or (like one rep done once) hung up on me. All companies should make sure that all of their customer service reps are fully trained before allowing them to work, that would solve a whole lot of problems.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If my problem wasn't solved, then depending on their efforts I would give them a moderate rating, like 3 to 4 stars out of 5, but I wouldn't give them a bad rating for something that they can't really solve. But some customer service representatives are really lazy, I had to call again just to have my problem solved because the 1st one that I talked to was ineffectual. The 2nd one was able to solve my problem just by a quick look at my records. (It was a debit card issue) So if I was asked to rate the 1st CSR, then I would definitely give him a bad rating.

18. sharpayvargas1

sharpayvargas1Member

Threads:
    I would definitely give the rep a good rating as appreciation for the effort she exerted. I also need to consider if she's new in the job. She did her best only that she wasn't trained enough by the company. So just like other comments, it's the company's fault that they didn't train her properly or that they hired someone who's not fit for the job. So, good ratings for rep, bad ratings for the company. As simple as that.

19. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    There is no questioning the fact that most people believe they receive inadequate customer service from most companies today. Only 48 companies out of the 733 total companies with a CustomerServiceScoreboard.com rating currently rank as Acceptable or better. This is only 7%

People adding comments and ratings are also asked to rate each company on a scale of 1 - 10 (with 10 being the best) when it comes to 5 specific aspects of their customer service interaction. Based upon the average scores for each of these aspects, it is no wonder most companies score so poorly.

20. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Usually they give you a spot for "additional feedback" and in that kind of scenario I'd likely give a good overall rating, given that the actual customer service itself was good and genuinely attempting to be helpful, but I'd also mention how my problem didn't get solved entirely and how it could have been handled better (or just by someone different, perhaps) in the future. I still think overall that warrants a fair rating, though.