Job references

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Mayvin • Aug 13, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Curious to know how you handle job references when applying for a new job? Do you use former employers, co workers, family friends, volunteer experience?

2. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I try to use former employers, but think supervisors at volunteer positions are just as good. I like to use past employers as references because I feel like the hiring manager for the potential new job probably views them as the best light because they worked with me in the past and can speak to my skills at the office. I think volunteer references are great too, especially if you don't have much paid work experience. I try to stay away from too many personal references, unless an employer specifically asks, because in my opinion I don't think their opinion of me carries as much weight.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am self employed so it can be hard for me to give a reference some times. Mostly I use friends. I let them know what I am doing and ask permission to use their name and number. No one yet has said no, not that I have asked often. When I did work a 9-5 I used a supervisor if it was the right situation like trying to get a new place to live.

4. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the job. If it is for a volunteer position or a position with an organization, I will put down close friends. They will know my well and speak on my behalf. If it is for a full-time or part-time position at a retailer or business, I will put down my business contacts. These are the people I have worked with, know my work ethic, and my work behaviors. I don't think there is a set of standards to follow when putting down references, is there?

5. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    A family friend who knows how to present himself professionally in writing can be a big help. It helped me grab an internship with people who now know my strengths and weaknesses within a workplace. I believe that is a good way to start if you have no professional references. As others have mentioned, putting yourself out there by volunteering can help you acquire references , but most important is the valuable connections you'll acquire.

#5Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  6. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Get most recent references from people you think can put you into the most positive light. Whether that be your pastor, former employer, co-workers, friends, etc. I've worked in charity organizations and had leaders in that organziation give me references, I've had my former music teachers give me references, I've had former teachers give me references. All are appropriate depending on what sort of job you're applying for and what you're looking to convey to your future employer through the reference.

7. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if it is a set of standards per se but I have had potential employers ask for very specific references and I'm assuming if I didn't produce them I would have been out of the running for the position. For example one wanted a reference from a superior from the last 2-4 years.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use references from past employers. When I'm job hunting ,the best people to tell a potential employer what I'm like to work with, is people who have employed me before.