Anyone used Southwest airlines?

Discussion in Travel started by Mayvin • Aug 13, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    So I've been looking into the best airline to travel with and have been looking at Southwest airlines as a front runner mainly because of the fact that they don't have check bag fees for the first and second bag and also it has gotten alot of good reviews. Also noticed they had have alot of discounted tickets for like under a hundred dollars and wondered if anyone else has had a positive experience with SW airlines? Especially with what they call the "wanna get away" inexpensive tickets.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I actually don't like Southwest, but you're right about them being cheap. I just wasn't fond of the fact that it's first come, first serve for seating (they don't let you pick seats in advance) so I've had two separate trips where I didn't get to sit with the person I was flying with. :( And the planes I was on were tiny with very little space....and considering I'm a small girl, that's a strange complaint coming from me, ha.

3. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    Southwest is a good airline, if you biggest request is expense. If you are looking for better service or a better experience, I would always suggest Delta. I've used them for years and now, because I have Silver Status I get one bag checked for free as well. If you don't fly very often, Southwest is good, if you do, I would always go with an non-discount airline.

4. atlman

atlmanNew Member

Threads:
    Being that I travel often for a living, because of work, I fly Southwest most of the time. At first I really protested having to fly Southwest all the time, as I didn't like how you don't have assigned seats but is part of a boarding group. But over time I realize that Southwest provides the most cheapest and frequent flights, at least in America. Southwest now flies to places in the Caribbean like Montego Bay so I will definitely be booking flights for myself for Southwest in the near future.

5. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    My family and I have flown Southwest several times. If you're going to a destination that they serve, they often have the most affordable tickets (particularly when you take in the lack of fees!). They tend to be a "seat yourself" airline, so booking early and checking in as soon as you can will get you a higher number for boarding and choosing your seat. They typically do still allow those with disabilities and young children to board after their first/business class passengers, which has been great for us because we have a carseat with us when we fly. We've had very good customer service from Southwest and the flights have been comfortable. Oh, and we almost always book the "wanna get away" tickets. They economy tickets no different from regular economy but they aren't refundable, so we always make sure we either have trip insurance or that we will definitely be using the tickets. We learned to get trip insurance after having a sick child on the return leg of one journey.

6. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    First come first serve seating? I was online the other day and they gave the option of picking your seat in advance. But I guess I need to double check that before I start to fly with them, I would not be a big fan of first come first serve seating.

7. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    It may sound cliché but we use Southwest airlines when we fly south west. (I couldn't help myself). Our point of destination is usually Phoenix, AZ. We have so far found Southwest to have the best prices. Of interest, is their 'NoLimits Internship' program for full time college students (as designated by the school - mostly juniors apply but sometimes they accept sophomores). For more information see this site: