Brushing cats teeth?

Discussion in Pets started by Mayvin • Aug 13, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I have brushed my dogs' teeth for several years and they have gotten use to it. Their teeth were really starting to get bad until I started doing that and have probably saved my self tons of money in teeth cleaning at the vets office. But wondered if people actually clean their cats teeth?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people brush their pet's teeth. I have never done it though and don't think I ever will. I suppose the reason pets teeth need to be cleaned is because when they're locked up in a house or some cage, they can't naturally clean their teeth as they'd do if they were in the wild. My pets always have the freedom to roam around the place I live [there aren't many people living around here] and attend to their tooth-cleaning needs themselves if they have to.

It's good for the pets I suppose and good for your wallet in the long run.

3. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    Take the cat to the vet four times yearly. A friend of mine takes her cat every two months for grooming and stuff. There were special treats for cat to help clear their teeth.

4. tzbt827

tzbt827Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of this practice on cats, I only ever thought that pet owners brushed their dog's teeth. I usually take them to the vet regularly anyway so they can do any of the teeth cleaning and such if they feel necessary.

5. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    We've been a cat owner since I was young and never did brush our cat's teeth. One tip we got from a friend who also loved cats is to watch the food your cats eat to care for their teeth. A combination of wet and dry foods is the best way to do it. And as mentioned above, there are treats for cats specifically made to clean their teeth.

6. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't clean my cats teeth and really should. I really wished I cleaned them after last month's $300 veterinary dental cleaning with 7 extractions. I have started them all on a water additive called CET Aquadent that is supposed to help. The bad thing about it is that unlike humans, once gum disease starts in cats it can't be reversed. There is some poultry flavored toothpaste that I may try soon.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't brush my cat's teeth, and when I look at it when he yawns or sleeps with his mouth open, it looks fine, so I guess this is a case of if it ain't broken then don't fix it? I guess cat's teeth can survive for a lifetime without any dental help if you feed them properly. I feed him dry and wet food.