Is anyone else waiting for Windows 8 to be gone before buying a new computer?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Colebra • Aug 13, 2014.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I need a new computer ASAP. But I really can't deal with Windows 8...
    Don't bother telling me how much you like it... Really.

Is anyone else waiting, and does anybody know when that will be?

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like it. Haha!

I don't care if Microsoft releases a new version of Windows or not. I've never really considered the current OS when I purchase a new laptop. If I would need a computer I would purchase right away. If you hate Windows 8, then just install Windows 7. If you don't want to install Windows 7, then go for a Macbook.

I guess you don't need a new computer because you can afford to wait for Windows 8 to be succeeded by another version before purchasing.

3. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I am sort of in the same boat. I am building a new rig, but I don't really like Windows 8. There's really nothing specific I hate about it, I am simply a long-time Windows 7 user and haven't found a reason to make the switch. But I really need a new computer so in my case, there's no point in waiting. I can just install Windows 7 or perhaps I'll finally give Windows 8 a chance.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are lots of old Windows OS that are uploaded in various torrent sites, you just have to download them if you don't want Windows 8, because I doubt most stores still have the old OS available. As for me, I'm currently using Windows 7, but I think that Vista or XP is better because I can't seem to run any game in Windows 7 as compared to Windows Vista and XP.

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Can't you just buy a computer that has Linux installed? It's cheaper since you don't pay for a Windows license. After that you can go and buy the Windows release you like the most and have it installed, either by you or by a professional (still cheaper). This way you'll get the PC you need and the operating system you want.

6. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Why would Windows 8 stop you from buying a new computer? You can install any version of Windows on your new computer, even if it's preinstalled with Windows 8 you can just reformat the hard drive and install Windows 7 or XP. Or you can do a dual boot. You can also order the computer with no preinstalled software or OS, that would be cheaper and it will solve your Windows 8 problem. Or if you want, you can always go buy a Mac. I'm not really waiting for Windows 8 to go away before I buy a new one, although I'm not sure when will Microsoft release the version of Windows but I think Windows 9 will look the same as Windows 8 so I guess you'll just have to get used to Windows 8, stick to Windows 7 or you'll end up not buying a new computer at all.

7. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    Even if I don't like it, it wouldn't stop me from buying a new computer. You can easily flash Windows 7 or Linux on a Computer that comes with Windows 8, so I don't see any reason to not buy a computer right now. Windows 8 isn't actually bad at all, most people just think the metro menu is unnecessary, because they aren't used to it.

8. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    Due to the price of licenses tied to hardware.

For the people who do not want to pay the "

" on the parts of our new equipment, there are several options.

There are various companies that offer savings due to avoiding paying a license windows. Check this out:

Aside from the option of buying assemble components, and assembling them yourself, you can re-use your current Windows license on the Linux machine. You can setup your system as dual boot. The best of both worlds in your particular case.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think they will be coming out with Windows 9 soon and from what I heard it will be closer to the older versions in that it will have a Start menu button again. I myself didn't really like Windows 8 or even 7 that much but I did kind of like how the interface of Windows 8 looks even though it's hardly as easy as their previous designs. I really hope they go back to their roots with the next one.

10. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I really think Windows 8 is not that horrible at all, except for the UI. I'm not waiting for it to go away because it's not, I think Microsoft's next version of Windows will be the same as Windows 8 so I guess you'll be stuck with your old computer for a while. Just buy the new computer and get rid of Windows 8, find your Windows 7 installation disc and just install it in your new computer problem solved.

11. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    The touch screen thing is just silly. You can't use the touchpad on that thing...
    But I do agree that like everything, it's a "getting used to it" thing. But I don't want to go through that.

I really don't know how to install Windows 7 on a computer... Would have to look into that, and have to risk not being able to do it.
    I also saw some images of Windows 9, and couldn't tell the diference from 8, so...

I'm looking at some Chromebooks now...

12. unstrung

unstrungMember

Threads:
    Well shoot, man, if you're going to make that sort of statement, you really should state what you hate about it so much, yes? If we're going to have a discussion, one should be able to point out good points and bad points of both Windows 8 and the systems that preceded it. I'm not posting this as some sort of Windows 8 evangelist, but rather going on the assumption that we can all do better than merely stating a general hatred or reverence for one system or another, and can probably in fact pinpoint things that we do or don't like (and maybe figure out how they could be modified)....

13. donding

dondingNew Member

Threads:
    Windows 7 is like the new Windows XP. Everyone loves it, and everyone hates what came just before and just after it. With that said, if I were purchasing a new computer today, I would make sure that I can 'downgrade' it from a Windows 8 to a 7 before I brought it home. If I was given a really, really good deal on a computer with Windows 8 that couldn't be downgraded, I would certainly still take it. That's because the bugs that make Windows 8 annoying to use can be easily fixed with some software installation.

14. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's a pretty big mistake when people won't buy a new machine just because Windows 8 is the norm now. Swapping out operating systems takes minutes and can be done by anyone on any machine. There are so many ways to accomplish the task, and you'll be running whatever OS you prefer within minutes. You can even customize Windows 8.1 to look and run exactly like Windows 7, except it's smoother and faster.

15. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. Like I said before there are a few things that make Windows 8 bad but it's nothing too drastic. OP I know you said you don't want to take time to get used to it but how do you know you're not going to feel the same about a Chromebook or whatever other system you buy? Most everything we do takes time to get used to. I'm even saying this as someone who is not a big fan of change.

16. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    If I really needed a new computer, I would just buy one but install Linux until I could get the OS I want.
    I don't like Windows 8 either but I'm not really waiting for it be gone. But I'm curious about the next version of Windows. I hope it's a lot less bloated and just more of a traditional desktop environment.
    I don't blame people for not wanting to use 8. I think it's really Microsoft's fault for making it so different than what people are used to, which seems to be the only big problem.

17. tzbt827

tzbt827Member

Threads:
    I dont need to wait for Windows 9 as I could just build my own rig and then get a torrented version of windows 7 and use that on my computer, or I could be legit and buy a copy of Windows 7 for $80, but I agree that Windows 8 is a garbage OS, they tried too much to be modern but it turned out to be an inefficient way to do anything.

18. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why not try Windows 8.1? From what I've heard they fixed all the bad stuff most people didn't like about Windows 8.
    I haven't used it so I wouldn't comment on how good or how bad it is. But if I really needed a new computer I wouldn't wait for Microsoft's next big upgrade. Instead, I'll look around, find an old version of Windows, install and use it while I wait.

19. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I would usually prefer to use the windows 8 rather than Windows 7 as I am quite used to it. I think it is best if we try and understand what exactly bugs us in Windows 8 and find a alternative solution to it. I believe it can be quite good if you try and find a knack in Windows 8.

20. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why don't you just get a computer without Windows 8? Or get one with it and then install Windows 7 on it? I really don't see the problem here, it's simple to do, especially on a new setup.