Do You Search For Local Sellers?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Aug 14, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's if you buy from sites like eBay.

The pros of buying from a local seller are many. You can cut down on shipping costs if the seller is amenable with that. The possibility of getting scammed is also much lower because once you have info about the seller's location, should they try to scam you, all you need to do is drive over and ask them what they think they're trying to do.

If you haven't tired shopping 'local' online then you better try it and see that buying from Ebay can be as safe as buying your stuff on Amazon.

2. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    No, I rarely check out if a seller is local or not when purchasing items on places like eBay. The main thing I look for is the validity of the advertised product and site. If they jive, then I don't mind spending my money. If something seems wrong, then I pass.

Also, to me, if you're going to be concerned with whether or not a seller is local, you might as well get on Craig's list.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on what I'm buying, if it's a heavy item, then for sure I would prefer a local seller. But for the rest, I don't mind buying from international sellers as long as the price and shipping fee is reasonable. And what I do if I want to find a local seller is I just go to the Ebay version of my country, which is

and when I search, the results they show by default are local unless you indicate otherwise.

4. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, I never look at where the item comes from or where the seller's location is for that matter. What I always look for are the price and the shipping of the item. As long as it's cheap and offers shipping to my place and has a good rep, I'll buy it. I think the short version is that if the seller is reliable I don't care where it comes from.

5. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't ever look for a local seller. I can see the benefits of doing that but I tend to look for best price and reviews first. I don't mind paying for shipping costs because I don't think I would want to meet up with a seller anyway for safety reasons and if I thought I was scammed I would definitely deal with Paypal for it.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was only one time that I searched for a local seller on eBay. I was looking to buy a car and I wanted to be able to check out the car before making a bid. I also didn't want to pay the shipping fees associated with shipping a car. I happened to find a great car that was being sold via a local dealership. A woman had her friend who worked at the dealership list the car for her. One of the best purchases I ever made from eBay.

7. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I have always looked at where it came from but it never dawned on me to search before hand and only browse by local sellers! Thanks for the great tip! I often think about Craigs list and how easy it is to just go pick something up locally as opposed to having to pay for shipping but that would make sense that if we shop locally it will cut the shipping costs. I wonder if some sellers might even go down in their shipping costs once they found out you were a neighbor? Its worth a try!