How Often and for How Long Do You Exercise in a week?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by jdwriter • Aug 14, 2014.

1. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    I've just recently realized that I might workout too much, and not allow my body to repair itself properly, so I am actually looking to cut down. That is one of the main reasons for this topic.

Prior to this past week, I was walking or jogging 6-7 days a week for about 35-55 minutes per workout and then adding in the T25 program to that, without a real day off...it might have just been in my head, but it felt a bit overwhelming, so I have decided to cut back to just 5 days of T25 and walking/jogging. 1-2 days doesn't seem like much, but it feels like a lot of time off for me.

What does everyone else use as a routine?

2. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    You certainly were working out too often and for too long everyday. I workout using the Power 90 program and each workout is between 28 to 35 minutes and I do it for 6 days a week. So I do not workout on Sundays. For me time is my problem. Depending on your workout intensity you will need adequate rest between workouts.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am surprised you did not get cramps in your legs jogging that often. You must give your muscles time to recover from the workouts. I was taught to workout one day and stretch the next day to avoid harming your ham strings. I will walk 3-4 miles one day, 4-6 miles the next day with more speed, for a six days a week on the 7th day I rest.

4. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I try to workout at least 3 times a week, whether it's going out running or doing Insanity or walking the dog. I do want to lose weight though so I'll have to bump it up eventually, but I've gotten shin splits lately and it's killing me while I run :( I'd do yoga but I feel like the pace of it is way too slow for me.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe vary the sort of workouts you're doing? Maybe only run every other day and do strength training on your off-cardio days?

As far as working out too much, that pretty much depends on the individual person. Only you know your real limits and what hurts at the time and what doesn't. So if you're starting to feel fatigued all the time, then it's probably a good idea to take a few days off. I've had knee problems for the last year or so, which has varied the ways I have to workout and how much I do so. Overextended your own limits will get you hurt.

6. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on how fit you are right now, and what kind of physical activity you have to endure throughout your day when you are not working out.
    If your profession does not require you to move too much and stuff, I don't think you really are in any danger of being overtrained...

I train Jiu-Jitsu 5 times a week in the evening, and I jog/liftweights the same 5 times in the morning...
    Go get manly, son. If you feel good, who cares? Don't let that overtraining thing get in your head too much.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will exercise for around 2 hours 2 or 3 times a week. I would love to exercise a solid 3 or 4 times a week but it's hard for me, so when I go to the gym I try giving it my all because I never get to go as many times as I wanted to!

8. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually exercise only twice per week, but I want to exercise more. I am tunning up my bike to start riding it almost daily and I think that will get my body going and I will lose some weight, I am really needing it. I think that we need to find what we love doing, that's how exercise is made.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get to exercise everyday because I just walk on my way home instead of riding public transportation. But that's just a "light" exercise. If we're talking about a "heavy" exercise, then I used to do it twice a week at the most. I jog in the parking lot of the mall during weekends.

10. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Well I am pretty useless at this. I tend to exercise around four times a week. That is a bit of a waste of time to me, but its probably more than other do. Some people I know don't exercise at all. The only time they go out for a walk is when they are going to the pub. I have to either go for 3 - 4 long walks per week or get on my bike and go for 3 - 4 long bike rides.

11. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    These days I exercise at home, 6 days per week for 30-45 minutes - I use only body-weight exercised in my routines. Recently I decided to learn dancing so in between my reps I'm studying dance moves. Mixing exercise with dancing made my workouts easier and less boring because now I feel that I'm actually learning something instead of repeating the same exercises over and over. It too early to see results but I'm guessing that my body will see more improvements than what I'd get with exercise only.

12. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    On a good week, I'll jog/walk three to six miles all five week days. Then I'll spend an hour per day lifting weights, taking the weekends off. If you push your body too far without letting it recover, then you're only going to do harm to your body. My workouts pretty much take me to the limit of what I can handle without feeling terrible during my two-day recovery period.

13. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    It is entirely possible that you're doing too much, though you may just need to switch up what you're doing occasionally. I think some people confuse what a rest day is- to me it's not necessarily a day of doing nothing at all, it's just a day for lower intensity exercises. So 4-5 days out of the week I'll do higher intensity, plus my walking or running, then on my rest days it's either shorter workouts and/or lower intensity things like yoga/pilates/tai chi/etc. along with walking. My longer workouts add up to 1 hour+ per day, shorter intensity ones range anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.

14. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I run everyday. jogging for one hour and seven minutes according to my ipod nano. That's continuous run, without rest or water break. It's quite tough, but after that it feels really good. I have been doing that for years, so I guess I have already made it as my habit. But sometimes I slip in my routine to go out for a jog because I have run out of time, or sometimes it's raining pretty heavily and I only jog for specific time of the day. So when I miss that time, I don't make it up for the day because my schedule also is pretty tight.

15. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I try to bike at least 30 minutes or at least 5 miles every day. My lifting is broken up throughout the day because I write for a living. I pace my lifting by how I feel, so I don't overdo it. I have been a lifter for 55+ years, and my coach was one of the best, so I figure I know what I'm doing.

16. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's quite easy to overdo a good thing. Jogging 6-7 days a week, even if it is only for a short period, certainly adds up. It would definitely be too much for me.
    I usually go swimming for a couple of hours two to three times a week, and I ride my bike everywhere, which often amounts to 5-10km per day. I am used to riding my bike to work and wherever else I need to go during the day, but admittedly, after all that exercise, I don't feel like doing much more than just going for a leisurely walk around the park in the evening.

17. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I try to wake up early every day to jog or walk. Sadly, there are days when I am just too tired, so I don't do it. When I manage to wake up though, I jog or walk for an hour and a half or so. :D

18. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I exercise daily. One thing I don't do though, is time myself though on average I could say I exercise for two hours everyday except on Saturday. I jog up a hill that's near where I live then once I get to the top, I do a number of other exercises for about 30 minutes. Take a break and resume for another 15 or so minutes then jog back home.

19. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Whoa! I really am slacking off in my workout routine when I read some of the comments, I try to exercise three time a week, of course, three days in a row, or every other day. I walk and jog 5K every day I workout and then I do some floor exercises when I am home. I also do speed skipping when I can. I also dance for a workout, when dancing for a workout, I would spend about a hour doing that. Thank goodness that shaky workout keeps me slim. If it took more than that to keep me slim, I'd be overweight!

20. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely work out for longer than 60-70 minutes a session, but always try to do it four times a week. I don't believe in static cardio, so that trims a lot of that extra time that people spend in a gym. I also try to create efficient workouts for myself, so even the lifting and rest times in between are pretty short.