Do you toss out clothes that don't fit?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by True2marie • Aug 14, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    A running joke (in America) is about the slightly overweight female who refuse to let go of clothes she hasn't been able to fit into since high school. One days, this woman is sure she'll be able to get back into these clothes, especially her favorite pair of jeans. Does this describe you?

As for me, I am the queen of giving clothing away to Good Will. I hate to see a shirt or pair of pants collect dust just because I can't squeeze into them. However, before I donate anything, I always wash and clean the item.

2. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    I am guilty of leaving my cast-off clothing in the most remote part of my closet. After a year or two (or 5) of having them hidden there, I decide to take the clothes out. I wash all of them again and inspect every single piece of clothing. I sometimes find a sweater that I liked but have forgotten I had it, so I put it on the side. Any clothes that I would wear go on one pile, all the others go to the second pile, sans the torn ones that go straight to the garbage bin. I pack the clothes I want to get rid of in bin bags and throw them into the textile trash bin. They give the clothes to people in need.

3. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't like to have my closet over stuffed with clothing because it just looks terrible, and it makes it harder to find what I am looking for. I donate most of my things to the homeless shelter. There are some clothes and shoes that I will take to a local consignment store. If they don't sell, the consignment store donates them to various local charities so it is a win-win for everyone.

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Generally I get rid of clothing that doesn't fit and is no longer my style. If something was particularly expensive or I really like it I will hold onto it. I tend to give myself a timeline for how long to keep it because I don't want to keep clutter around.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a girl but men gain weight too, right? But not all men gain weight. Some lose it. I used to a little bigger when I was younger. I didn't work that much, didn't exercise and you know what happens then. When I started doing some work that required physical exertion, I began losing weight and clothes that fit became too large. I couldn't get rid of them.

I collected them, handed them over to a tailor who resized them. It's a lot cheaper than going to shop for new apparel.

6. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly only keep the clothes if it's close to my size and I know I'll want to lose weight in order to fit into those clothes. If it's like 2 sizes too small or too big or something then I usually just donate it along with my other old/unworn shoes and clothes. I know my residential area back in college used to do a "swap meet" where you can bring anything that's in relatively good shape out to the lawn area and you can trade or give away your stuff for other things you see that you like.

7. maddie619

maddie619New Member

Threads:
    I don't like not being able to close my drawers because of the clothes I can no longer fit into. I would rather give them away to goodwill or a thrift store so I can make room for new clothes. Giving my clothes away to charities that support the homeless is also a very good idea, a lot of people don't have clothes that aren't torn or stained and seeing as you were going to get rid of your clothes anyway... Even if it is a pain to drive down to a bin for donated clothes with your car all loaded up with trash bags, it's better than not being able to close your closet door because it's so overloaded with things you probably aren't going to wear again. I also see it as a karmic thing in a weird way, like if I give this really nice blouse away to someone who doesn't have anything better, then I can go buy that really cute dress at the mall.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I either donate the clothes or sell them on eBay if they're really nice. In a small apartment like mine, space is valuable and I don't want a bunch of clothes that don't fit taking up valuable real estate in my closet. Plus I'm blessing someone else with clothes they can use, so it's win/win.

9. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    The only way I'll toss out clothes if they're too old and torn that they wouldn't be able to be worn by someone else. Otherwise, I'll just donate them or give them to a younger family member who possibly needs them.

I generally don't like holding on to clothes that don't fit. Just takes up too much space and something I know can benefit someone else.

10. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I'm kind of guilty of holding onto things that no longer fit (even things that are 5x to big) but sometimes I'll go on a little spree of cleaning things out and giving them to good will or family members that could wear them.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I tend to keep old clothes as well, although admittedly it's more because of my laziness than anything. I also like the fact that I can dig up some of these clothes from time to time and try them on to see where I'm at weight-wise in contrast to my past. However, it's just a bonus as I hardly ever do it since it's tucked away in a very ignored part of the house.

12. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I usually give away clothes that don't fit and are still in good condition. But I do still have some sentimental pieces like my quinceañero dress and the first outfit my boyfriend got me. It's not that I think I will ever be able to wear those, even if I lose weight my hips are bigger now than when I was a teen. It's that I have an attachment to those pieces that makes it really hard to give away.

13. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, this does describe me! But with me I held on to clothes that fit me before my pregnancy. However, I have finally just lost the last few pounds I needed to and can now actually fit into those clothes, and not in an unattractive way. It is such a great feeling being able to fit back into the clothes I wasn't sure I would ever fit into. Now I have about 5 more pounds to go until I can fit into a couple other pairs of jeans that I had and I will be at my final goal weight! I have made three goal weights so far to get a little weight off at a time.

14. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't. I make them my inspiration to bring back my previous body, to work out and shed off fats i have never wanted to come but because of my weak control for urge, I gave in and gained them. I don't stash them, I display them to be a constant and incessant reminder of what I have to accomplish.

15. lilygracer

lilygracerNew Member

Threads:
    I used to keep my old clothes as "inspiration". Inspiration to either fit into a smaller size or to be confident to wear something I may have purchased impulsively. But, I just ended up running out of closet space. I learned a trick from a friend that every time I wear something to put it back on the hanger with the hanger facing the opposite way. Then if after some time (perhaps a few months or a year) if I have not worn that piece of clothing than it is time to get rid of it. And it has been a very useful tip for me. Because it really shows what I honestly wear. The things I do not wear I donate or give it away. I feel bad throwing away perfectly good clothing. So even if I don't plan on wearing that piece of clothing, at least someone else can get some good out of it.

16. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I toss out cloths only if the are to small or I just have lost interest in them. I give them away to family members or friend that I think that can fit them. Sometimes I bundle them up especially if they are new I would sell them on ebay. I have sold 25 pair of jeans for 50.00 on ebay with free shipping and handle this can be done for some extra cash. Other than that I would catch a garage sell or donate to a salvation army whatever I dont sell.

17. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    Not at all, if it's something that I really like that I know I'm not going to fit again, I give it to somebody that know that's around the same size as me. I always give to Goodwill or the local church or thrift shop.

18. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    I keep things that are a) close to the size I am in, b) cost a good amount of money rather than inexpensive items and c) still look to be in very good condition. I have friends that I will often offer good clothes to, and who are generally appreciative. Other than that I send practically everything to Goodwill.

19. Mochaisis

MochaisisNew Member

Threads:
    For me, it really depends on how expensive the garment is and whether I can replace it. I have a few small bags of clothing in the back of my closet filled with articles that are timeless and I know that I can never replace. For the most part, though,I try to donate clothing that I'm not wearing anymore to people who need them more than I do. I make several donations per year to my church, Goodwill, and Salvation Army. I'd never feel right just tossing old clothing into the trash, especially when I know that there are people who have less that could use them. Those clothes aren't useless, even if I can't use them anymore.

20. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I get rid of clothes often usually not from them not fitting but wearing them so much that they need to be replaced and also from again me wearing them so much that I gt tired of them and that's when I'll donate to good will. If I couldn't fit into some clothing that I had been hanging onto for a while I would try and make the effort to just let someone else have some use of them. Although if it was my favorite pair of pants or something I may hang on to them giving me more motivation to loose the weight.