Why Did Robin Williams Kill Himself?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by mythman • Aug 14, 2014.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:

Robin's daughter Zelda can't understand why Robin could've done that when he is so-beloved by so many people.

140813-robin-williams_0.

I would argue that 'they don't love "him"; they love the funny, happy, fun, zany stuff he's done throughout his life.' Whenever Robin took a break from zany-crazy, he was "just another guy"; and when we lose him, we don't lose 'all the stuff he used to do' (which is kind of depressing to think about yourself BEFORE you're gone ... that--'if I'm not around to contribute anymore--you don't really care that I might need YOU to bring me there').

It's sort of like how Lord Jesus couldn't send us The Comforter (The Holy Spirit) until AFTER He permanently passed away.

What do you think was going through his mind?

#1Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  2. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    We know that he suffered from depression. When you feel depressed, no past achievements of yours count. Nothing counts, you have no will to live and can't find happiness in anything. People don't seem to grasp how hard it is to be a comedian. You are there to entertain millions of people, everyone but yourself. No one is there to entertain you, to let you enjoy a good joke in peace. I think that's one of the reasons for his actions. But we will never know for sure. Perhaps he had some family affairs, we will never know.

3. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    His wife has said today that he was diagnosed with early stage parkinsons disease. So maybe that had something to do with it. Depression and addiction are both awful diseases that are no joke and people oftentimes do not take seriously. It's hard to say I need help and it's also hard to see around the big black hurt that's in your face and realize that there's a better way out of it. If you're depressed please reach out for help. There's no shame in it. RIP Robin Williams. I pray for peace for his family and friends and his soul.

4. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of comedians are very sad, and very lonely human beings. They use comedy as a defense mechanism.
    A lot of them have had problems with drugs also.
    We'll probably never fully understand why he had to take his own life, but it's not like this is a new thing with comedians...

Pryor had a problem with cocaine and lit himself on fire while freebasing.
    Dave Chapelle has had a few meltdowns.
    Doug Stanhope is pretty open about his alcoholism.
    Daniel Tosh speaks openly about his social anxiety.

The list goes on, and on...

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is hard to say what is going on in another person mind. We will never know what caused Robin Williams to kill his self. If he could see no reason to continue to live the life that we thought was full of happiness which may not have been to him. To him it was hard work and he just could not carry on. I like his work, he made me laugh.

R.I.P. Robin.

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think any of us should speculate as to what was going through his mind. I have seen far too many headlines on this subject and it makes me somewhat angry because I think it is in rather poor taste. I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just my personal opinion and how I approach it.

7. alviataylor

alviataylorNew Member

Threads:
    Not sure if he really did but it's quite sad that he died... :( I loved many of his movies ..

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    True, comedy is a coping mechanism. I'm amazed that Kevin Hart can joke about his childhood because his father was a piece of crap who almost drowned him.
    Greg Giraldo and Mitch Hedberg are examples of comedians that succumbed to the sadness and couldn't hold on any more. Comedians don't go through life happy all the time, they're just able to find the humor in the terrible things that happen in life.

9. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, here's the deal.

Robin has been dealing with depression and anxiety for a large part of his life. He has also dealt with alcohol and drug abuse issues, both of which he got treatment for. We were told that he got treatment and went to rehab for his depression, but his depression was still the biggest hurdle in his life before he passed.

However, his wife just came out with a statement saying that he was diagnosed with the early stages of Parkinson's Disease. For those who don't know, Parkinson's Disease is a no-cure disease in which the neurons in your body start to deteriorate and you eventually lose function of all your movement, which basically turns you into a vegetable at the end of your life. You also will get dementia towards the end stages of Parkinson's Disease.

One of the symptoms of Parkinson's Disease was depression, and so think about this: Robin Williams knew he had depression and was battling it. Many people who have severe depression feel as if they are a burden on their family and friends. Then he gets the news from his doctor that he has Parkinson's Disease.

Now, consider this: he has ALWAYS been a very physical comedian and physical actor. For someone like him to get Parkinson's and know that eventually he won't even be able to move or talk anymore is absolutely KILLER.

So the combination of depression, anxiety AND the diagnoses of Parkinson's Disease drove him over the edge.

Put yourself in his shoes: if you had severe depression and then your doctor tells you that you have this horrible disease which will render you to be a vegetable in the next 10-15 years, wouldn't you sink into depression and suicidal thoughts even faster?

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I heard he was getting tired of having to work so hard to pay divorce settlements from two marriages, although only he would really have the answer as to if it it was really that which was bothering him. I agree that he was probably feeling alone due to being beloved but not loved, but again, only he would really have the answer to it and it's a shame he didn't leave a suicide note that could possibly help us understand it better to learn and help others in the same situation.

11. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    So would remaining single have saved him? Or would it have left him non-famous and happy (like me?)?

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I read about the diagnoses too and it all finally made sense to me. From what others have said of him over the years, he was a very very good man. Of course they'll say that, but I believe it. He seemed to have a huge heart. I think that alone and his many years here would have him taking the responsibility of having all eyes on him very seriously. What kind of message would he be sending everyone if he killed himself? It just didn't rub me the right way.. I don't know him, but it just didn't suit him, you know? Before the diagnoses story came out, I was talking about how something like that would make it all make sense. I don't believe he would kill himself because of depression.. but becoming a burden on his family (that's how he would see it. That's how I would see it if it were me. And let's remember, he watched one of his best friends become dependant on everyone for everything.. Christopher Reeve. I'm sure he saw enough to scare him out of his mind), that fits.. that must be it. I would do the same and I'm in no way depressed. I love my family and my life. But the minute I see myself becoming a burden and a doctor won't help me end my life, I will do it myself. Everyone should have that right and I do not judge what Robin Williams did in any way. I just hope he gave his family some closure first..I couldn't imagine the pain they're going through.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whatever his reasons were, I was deeply saddened to hear about his demise. I think he was one of the greatest actors and comedians of our time. I have seen Robin Williams in interviews where his genius literally just bubbled over. I couldn't believe how one person could spontaneously come up with such hilarious things. I love his movies, particularly the ones where he portrayed serious characters. It's been a sad year. First Philip Seymour Hoffman went, and now Robin Williams. Two magnificent artists have left us forever. What an incredible loss.

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm sorta in the same boat.

While I know people are curious and so many people were familiar with his movies, etc, that they want to know....

But at the same time, unless you were a personal friend or family member, you didn't really know him at all. And even those who were close to him are unlikely to know what was really going through his head.

15. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Robin obviously had his demons. And from all the reports, it sounds like he was suffering severely with many different disorders and depression. I can't imagine learning he was diagnosed with parkinson's helped his mental condition either.

The one hopeful positive that comes out of this is that more awareness comes to mental disorders like depression and are taken more seriously as an illness.

16. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    And do you know why Christopher Reeve (& Michael J. Fox) don't kill themselves? I think it's because of their faithful family-love. That's not "faithful" having anything to do with "religion," but more that they & their family trust each-other. (I remember the root-word in the

of "family" is 'slave' (which is the root-meaning of "servant."))

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe that's true, maybe it isn't. Not everyone can be brave in the face of something like that.. I'm sure he loved his family very much.

18. CraftsAndLooms

CraftsAndLoomsMember

Threads:
    It's hard to state the real cause of this incident. But, it is a sad news for all Robin Williams fans.

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think it's a question of being single or famous, and I don't even think it's really about depression or drugs. From what I understand he was an only child and ignored by his parents which is why he learned to be funny and while he got some success out of it, but he still never had the necessary navigational skills to know how to connect with people or pick his partners and it's why he ended up where he did. If you have time and are really interested then I'd recommend watching this video. It's an hour long but worth the time and full of many life lessons, in my opinion.

[video=youtube_share;diyuAXzN7yo]http://youtu.be/diyuAXzN7yo[/video]

20. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    It's really sad that he had to die this way. He's seriously one of the funniest, most awesome guy in hollywood that i truly admire. I can't believe he took his own life. But then again, what do we know right? The version of him that we know is the funny side of him but we don't really know who he is behind the camera. Even though, he's a Hollywood actor, he's still the same human being, just like all of us, who was also fighting off life issues. Based on the reports, he was depressed for some time, but obviously it came to a point where he could no longer take it and so he ended his life. My heart really goes out to his family and friends. ;(