Why are people against GMOs as a food product?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Esperahol • Aug 14, 2014.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Considering the various methods of food production, and the great good GMOs have done for less fortunate populations... I don't get the vehement dislike of them. Part of the problem I feel comes from a lack of understand, while a much larger part comes from fearmongering by the less than... uninterested. I mean some of the people pushing the hardest against this have a vested interest in getting people to prefer their product.

I guess I can't help being worried about this, because it honestly is setting back progress. For instance, a breed of pig that would produce much less pollution into the environment was terminated following a campaign against them. Considering the ever growing necessity of reducing Mankind's impact on the world that's just unacceptable. By this same token will new breeds of plants for consumption and fuel production also be culled off?

Anyway, please give me your reasons or opinions - I feel that the more these concerns are firmly addressed the better off everyone will be in the long run.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Everything has a side-effect or so most people think. Since GMOs have not been around for long, there's no telling what kind of long-term side-effects consuming GMO food could have on people. There are a number of studies whose findings seem to indicate that GMOs actually do have negative side effects

I can't vouch for the veracity of those studies but if they were objective, then maybe those who are afraid of eating GMO food have good reasons to base their fears upon.

3. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    Yeah, it is just like Denis said. Let me expand on that a bit. Our society has been trained that we need to be pretty much babied and have our government tell us what is and what is not good for us. And since there is little in the way of studies on GMOs, and pretty much zero long term studies, people become leery about them. I personally don't have much of an opinion one way or the other. But if it can help to reduce famine, then I am all for it.

4. thriftyme

thriftymeMember

Threads:
    I think GMO's are a good thing, overall. I have never understood the sheer amount of fear they seem to inspire in people. We have been genetically modifying crops for centuries - it's called gardening. Just because we now have labs to do it in, is no reason to panic, especially when we want to feed everyone on the planet inexpensively and easily. GMO's are life-savors to my mind. I want more experimentation and innovation in farming, not less. People should make their choice buy consuming only organic or home-grown foods if they like, but they should allow GMO's for the rest of us, in my opinion.