What makes you actually download an App?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Esperahol • Aug 15, 2014.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I ask because while there are common threads... some things just seem inexplicable in nature. I mean Flappy Birds is something I still don't understand the popularity of it. Me personally I'm not really an app person, then again I'm not really a Smartphone person. I just don't get the appeal. So feel free to speak to me like a 5 yo regarding this subject.

2. PhilA

PhilAMember

Threads:
    I use apps to kill time basically. I don't like how almost all apps now are free, but require large amounts of money in-game to make anything happen. I have been careful to never get involved in paying for in-game purchases, it is just a pointless, expensive habit. Smart phones are great for keeping your mind and fingers occupied, that's about it. If you take it too seriously you will end up regretting it I am sure.

3. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    The reason I use apps is because I need to use them. I have some apps installed that are related to what I do everyday. Apps make it more convenient for me to access the services wherever I am. Most apps are free on the store which make it even better. As for the game, I always stick to the free ones and those that I think suit my play style. I do agree that more and more apps are free on the surface only, when you actually use it they are usually littered with adds or tons of features locked until you buy the pro version.

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are two reasons why I go to the Google Play Store - there's an app or game that I really need, or I just feel like going to the Play Store and download something just for fun. So, what makes me download an app that I need if I have more than two alternatives? I just choose the app with the highest average rating from users.

When do I download an app when I'm just browsing the Play Store just for fun? I look at the description, I look at the images and I look at the average rating and user comments. If I love what I see and what I read, then I'm gonna download the app.

In addition, I usually look for an app that could be used even if I'm not connected to the internet. That's a big plus for me.

5. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Well like you, I'm not really a smartphone person so I'm not really into apps and stuff. But I do download some, no special reason really just to pass the time and entertain myself. But I only download free apps, you can never make me throw money on an app purchase no matter how great the app is, I would donate to the developers maybe, but not a purchase.

6. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Either curiosity or just sheer boredom. I'm not really one to play with my phone but I do keep some apps to keep me busy when I have some down time. If a game or an app in the app store has a large amount of great reviews or if all of my friends have it I tend to give it a whirl. I also sometimes just download an app because I'm so bored and the name of the app looks interesting but most of the time I'm not wasting bandwidth with apps.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd only pay for an app if there weren't any free alternatives or if the other free ones are subpar. Sometimes I'd opt to pay for an app just because the design looks better than their competition even if they offer it for less or for free. I don't really have any prerequisites to what I look out for before buying an app, but I do try to think about it thoroughly before paying since sometimes I know I just get carried away but that happens to me for any other product as well.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Reviews and recommendations. I love apps so when it's on the top 10 list of apps I tend to try them out, but I won't spend money on them . I only download the free ones.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are a few apps which are helpful. Apps which someone won't mind buying or downloading because they're worth the money.

Shopping apps for example are great if you shop frequently and need to compare prices before popping into some store to make your purchases. For investors I heard of a stock market app that would provide with you with information that would help you make good decisions in regard to selling or holding your stock. There's the Google maps app . . . need I say more?

10. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    If I can't use it as a useful tool and or to make money, I don't see it as nothing more than a waste of time and memory waster. The only game app I've downloaded is Family Fued with friends.

11. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    If it is a free app, I usually will take a chance on just about anything. If it is pay, I take a look at the reviews and see if there are any negatives to the app that make it so that it does not do what I need it to. Secondly, if the app is new and has too many 5 star reviews I usually get suspicious.

12. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use my smartphone as a PDA. It also allows me to take the occasional credit card payment from a client. I mostly download apps that help me with my productivity. I have a entry level smartphone with limited storage capability (which I will be upgrading very soon). I am very picky about what I add to my phone. I only have one game installed. I think it's Words with Friends or something like that. I play it with my sister who lives on the opposite coast. Still, she has to poke me to take my turn because I go for days without thinking about the game.

So I only download apps if they can keep me organized or help me make money in some way.

13. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have one game app on my phone, but I use apps for functionality and to serve a specific purpose otherwise. I use Wunderlist to keep my priorities straight, and then Umano to listen to recent news articles. There are tons of apps that I enjoy using, but I try to minimize the number of apps on my phone to avoid bogging it down and using all of the available RAM.

14. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I only download apps that I need. I have the odd game but most of those that I use are free. All my apps have to serve a purpose to me, they are mainly for business purposes. I normally download them from recommendations. I really don't see the point in shopping apps, but then again that might be because here in Ireland they are rubbish.

15. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Being free. That way if it turns out that I didn't like it, there will be no real consequence. I download loads of free apps but I wouldn't do that with paid ones.

16. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I only download FREE apps that are worth my time or will entertain my kids at their doctor visits. All but 3 apps on my phone are apps that allow me to make money on. If I'm already out and about and can make $10 on that visit, I'm all about it. Just a trip to the store to buy a gallon of milk earned me $6.90 so basically it paid for the milk and the gallon of gas it cost to get to the store.

Two apps are of games for my children. They are educational games so I know they're learning as they play them. It keeps them quite and sitting down while we wait forever to see a doctor. The other app is a spreadsheet app that keeps up with all my wonderful earnings coming in.

17. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Many factors convince me to download an app:

1. If it's free
    2. If it's on sale
    3. The reviews on the download page
    4. External reviews
    5. Graphics
    6. My need for it

Most of the time, I download games. If I like the graphics, I download it. However, once I finished or get bored of the game, I uninstall it.

18. EvanCross19

EvanCross19Member

Threads:
    I'm sold on an app as soon as it proves how useful it is to me. I use the PerkTV app while I'm sleeping and it earns me points that I later cash in for gift cards. Then there is the authy app that great for 2 step verification on highly personal and private online accounts. Of course the weather app has it's many benefits. Facebook, Twitter, and other social media apps are great for connecting and are some of the more obvious apps that most people use. If the app is just a silly game, I may download it if it's A) free B) has very few, non-intrusive ads, and C) Doesn't push a lot of sales like "buy this game item now" type of stuff on me.

19. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    When deciding on whether to download an app or not, I look at the description, that is, what the app can do, after that, I look at reviews, after that I may download it to see if it is really worth keeping, if it is not, I'll permanently delete it. I'll download an app whether it is free or not because I believe that once an app is good, and it is really good, that is, it does what it is supposed to do, it is worthy of having, even if it means paying for it. If it is barely mediocre, then I won't even consider it. I have a very low tolerance towards apps.

20. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Well to start with I very rarely pay for apps, I find that for *most* things I can get something comparable for free and it's worth the slightly less convenient or neat features. I'm not really a huge app or smart phone person either, and I'd say 85% of my apps are ones that I find useful and help more with needs than wants or gaming. I try to limit apps that would just tempt me to waste a lot of time (flappy bird, for instance, lol).