Do you have a paying account with any MMORPG?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Colebra • Aug 18, 2014.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I am, maybe, going get into a boxing game that I saw online...
    Do you play anything at all?

Sometimes I hear people say that buying items and stuff is cheating, but I really want to kick some butt, so...
    Do you any kind of MMORPG playing? Do you pay for it?

2. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    I used to play World of Warcraft for half a decade. That was back when I was in highschool and could play it for a couple of hours every day. Glad I managed to get over it, that game has ruined lives for some people!
    I have tried other MMORPGs since then, but none of them has caught my attention.

3. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have a premium account on Runescape back when it was popular. I somehow managed to convince my mom to pay it for me. I still feel bad about it, even though I had a lot of fun. Even though I like playing game I wouldn't want to spend money on them. I don't want to get addicted to them and I want to spend my money on other, more useful or more fulfilling things, like travel for example. There are so many games out there that are free, why not stick with those?

4. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes play DragonFable, and there are some 'grades of equipment' that you can't get unless you pay for it. My PayPal had some extra in it; I figured, "Why not?"

same reason you drive a car rather than walk.

5. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have a World of Warcraft account, but it wasn't for long because for some reason, even though I've played a lot of mmorpg's, I couldn't seem to get into it, it was far to time consuming for my liking so eventually I just quit playing it. I don't have anymore different accounts that I pay for anymore, and I plan to keep it that way, at least for awhile.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I used to play WOW a lot back in the day but I stopped long time ago, thus no, right now I'm not paying for a MMORPG subscription. I'm still gaming but I focus on single player games only. I like to pay for my game once then play when I want and for as long as I want - it's cheaper and I don't feel pressed to play by a subscription that's expiring. And since we're on the topic, I really like the model of Guild Wars 2. It's a MMO that you pay for once and then play as long as you wish with no other extra fees (excluding the expansions).

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any current active subscription, but over the last decade I definitely spent more time with active accounts than without.
    Besides the juggernaut World of Warcraft I've also had subscriptions active with Everquest II, Old Republic, Rift, Wildstar, EVE Online, and maybe some others I might be forgetting.

I think if you dedicate some time to an MMO it's usually worth paying for the subscription even in cases where it's optional since it usually comes with some advantages, even though it's never anything game-breaking.

8. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it's not exactly the same, is it? While games that you pay for may offer premium experience that is simply better, that might not be the case. With cars ti definitely is. They allow you to get to your destination much faster. There are games out there that are free and better than some that you have to pay for. Even some MMORPGS are free, making revenue by other means.

9. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I've had paying subscriptions to World of Warcraft and when I was really little, to a premium Runescape account. Currently don't have an active subscription to any game though. Just don't have the time anymore to really justify the subscription.

Don't regret having them at all though. $15 a month to fufill my gaming fix for the most of the past decade is pretty good value in my book. I never really got into console gaming all that much and didn't spend much money on console games at all.

10. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, never had a single MMO where I have to pay a subscription fee. All the MMOs that I've played are free to play games. There are micro-transactions in them but I never bothered with them either. Usually I get bored with MMOs quick so paying for subscriptions isn't a sound investment for me.

11. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I used to play Runescape and i paid for membership for it. It's worth every penny. The game is awesome and there's so many things that keeps you busy in the game. I grow out of it though but i still go on that game from time to time when i get nostalgic over the game. :p

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I never got interested in MMORPG or strategy games, so my budget will never make a dent by playing those kind of games.
    I just prefer to play single player games on the pc.

13. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Not any of the major ones, but a dear friend of mine sponsored me for a temporary premium membership on Popmundo ages ago, back when we both played it constantly. That was ancient times and I don’t remember a lot about it.

I also reaaaaaally wanted to donate to Kingdom of Loathing back when I still played regularly, so I could ascend faster and have better access to the cool stuff in the game. Of course, now that I can afford to do so, I rarely play anymore. Haha.

14. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    I have a paying account with Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, and IMHO it's very much worth it. The game is beautiful, phenomenal and it's the only MMORPG I'm willing to pay for. The others I'm playing are pretty much free with microtransactions (Aura Kingdom).

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've also never had any paid accounts for any MMORPG game. Those games actually never did interest me and being the sort of person who is easily addicted to anything I guess I'd still be spending money on paid subscriptions till now. I do play a few games though occasionally but I spend $0 on them.

16. Harlek

HarlekMember

Threads:
    I used to but not anymore. I've had enough with in game purchases and since I'm getting a bit old it's seems like a waste of money. I'd rather spend my cash on food and other stuff rather than paying for subscriptions and virtual items and besides, most of the time you're money gets wasted on useless stuff and often times the joy of the game wears off after a few hours.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I recently just got into playing a MOBA and thankfully the system the developers have put in place doesn't require paying a lot of money just to stay competitive. The most I have to pay for is a new character if I so choose to buy it but even then I could just earn it with their in game points by playing a lot. I could also pay for some skins but those can be earned too and they even encourage it. That said, it's why I don't pay regularly but I do pay sometimes to get a new item or to gift someone a skin.