Has anyone tried out Nicer Dicer?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by Kek • Aug 18, 2014.

1. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    Here is the video about the As seen on TV product that makes slicing and dicing a lot easier.
    [video=youtube;g4jE-4uL1XU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4jE-4uL1XU[/video]
    We all know that the products in those commercials look perfect. But when you buy one and bring it home, you find out that it doesn't work like you wanted it to. I've been thinking about buying the Nicer Dicer but I have some second thoughts. Could you really slice up vegetables like in the video? Perhaps the blades aren't sharp enough and you have to slice up the veggies before dicing them further with the machine.

Does anyone have any experience with this product or could tell me if it is a good or a bad idea to buy it? Thank you!

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The thing that bothers me about this product is that it has 12 pieces and attachments that have the same function as 12 tools that I already have in my kitchen. So why would I replace my 12 small tools with their 12 small tools? It's not a space saver because my tomato slicer and my grater take up the same amount of space as their slicer and grater.

You know who this would be great for? A young person starting out who does not own any kitchen tools and has never bought a grater and needs all the tools.
    It's not worth it for a mature cook that has all the peelers and slicers.

3. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    You might be right that it isn't worth it for a mature cook that knows how to slice and dice fast. For beginners, however, dicing can be a pain and take a really long time. For those people, this product might be great, since it cuts down the preparation time. To be honest, I've never heard that such a thing as a tomato slicer exists. I always try to cut my tomatoes with the sharpest knife, but it always makes a mess. Thanks for informing me and giving your opinion.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yup, they make tomato slicers and they cut perfectly symmetrical slices. I did not say that mature cooks can slice things faster. I said that mature cooks already have fully stocked kitchens and own all the cutting devices included in the Nicer Dicer, so it would not be worth it for them to buy those items again.

Here's what a tomato slicer looks like. Amazon has them. 41x05bR-thL.

5. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sorry, I must have misread your reply and thought that you meant the speed at which they are able to cut veggies. Yes, buying an extra appliance that can't do anything other than what your fully-stocked kitchen already can is a waste of time and money. Thanks for including a photo of a tomato slicer, I'm really amazed! So, you are telling me that the blades are sharp enough to cut through the fruit without squishing it? That's amazing!

6. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I guess I am old-fashioned. I just use a knife! For things like a tomato or bread, I use a serrated knife. Soft foods cut better with serrated knives than flat knives. All other foods, I use a plain, sharp knife. Plus, that would be too many pieces and parts for me. I would have no where to store them in my kitchen. I think they "look nice" but once you actually start to use them, they will wear down very quickly. I wouldn't spend my money on it. That's my opinion on the products.

7. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I think this would be a good product for like a kid who wants to help their parents out in the kitchen or someone who wants less cleanup since the sliced veggies or whatever end up in the container and it seems more convenient. But this product would be interesting to try and see if its as easy as it looks.

8. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    That's a valid opinion, thanks for contributing. I'm learning new things in every post in this thread. First the tomato slicer, now the serated knife. I've always struggled cutting tomatoes, even with my real sharp ceramic knife. But I never knew the bread knife could be used to slice it! I will try that when I cut my next tomato, I hope I remember! I'm still a bit skeptical, so I will try it out myself and report back.

9. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    I used the Nicer Dicer and the blades deteriorate very fast.
    There is also a newer/older model that has a large knob on the top and that one works even worse. In the commercial, they seem to slam down on it hard and I think that's the only way to really make it work. Because if you don't, it always seem to get stuck on something.

10. jmoriarty630

jmoriarty630Banned

Threads:
    I don't have any experience with this particular set, but my friend's mother said she bought them and they weren't near close to as good as they are in the commercial. I think it's generally the same with these shopping videos. I just use normal knives, and they've always worked perfectly.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Dollar General is selling a similar product, but it's more square shaped than rectangular, and I don't believe it has as many parts. Theirs is selling for $20, but it may be worth checkout out because at least you can open the package and see how sturdy the device is.

There are a lot of items shown there which are rather redundant too. I don't need another peeler, I already have a nice stainless steel Kitchenaid brand peeler which likely works much better than the one that comes in this set. Same thing goes for the grater and the mandoline slicer, already got those, and they are much better quality.

I would probably pass on something like this, simply because the very act of pushing blades straight down on veggies usually doesn't work. If your tomatoes are a bit past ripe, they will more than likely just get smashed by something like this instead of diced or segmented. On the other side, stuff that wasn't yet ripe, and perhaps still hard, would probably get stuck in the blades.

Whether you are using a knife with a regular blade or a serrated blade, you need that back and forth cutting motion to cut through food easily. Just pushing the knife down directly on the food typically doesn't work well and makes a mess of the food.