When Pastors Claim that 'All We Can Do Is Pray'

Discussion in Misc & Others started by mythman • Aug 18, 2014.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Well, they're "right"; but not with people's current understanding of "prayer."

See, most people understand 'prayer' as "a work-order request-submission to God"---which is SINFUL ... about as sinful as 'using the interjection "god!" in your speech' (i.e. only "criminally sinful" if you know it is).

The 'right' understanding of prayer is that it's more like a "meditation on the love & care & righteousness of God (particularly with respect to positive- & negative events in your own life)."

(The atheist psychologist would observe that prayer is really just convincing yourself that Somebody has everything planned, and will change those plans at your request if it fits with the aims of His plan.)

The reason Lord Jesus Christ addressed prayer (even though it doesn't really change the conditions until you act on it) was that 1) He was asked-to, & 2) we ALL have a prayer-dialogue going on in our heads---a sort of back-&-forth between 'the way things are' & 'the way we move to make things become.'

We each have some power over the conditions that surround us, but almost-never a majority. So--in many cases--there IS nothing you can do but pray ... but that's not "telling God what you want Him to do and then folding your arms and pouting until He does it," it's more like "seeing what he's already done for you (in your personal life) and asking him how you can find more of that (and then listening & watching for the answer)."

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sure we do but if you're praying for something to be done and you actually do something about it and get what you wanted, deep down you'd say, "I did this on my own." My understanding of prayer was this:

You ask for something in faith [no child asks his parents for a fish and get a snake] and wait for what you requested for to be done in accordance with HIS will. I prefer the letting go and letting God be in charge of everything approach.

3. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe you're an angel---one of God's servants. I am not; I am an heir of God. I appreciate that my godly riches didn't come from MYSELF; but they are just as much MINE as they would be if I DID get them myself.

If the child asks for a fish, but will not TAKE the fish you give them, you let them use the snake to catch the fish they want. God said to man "Hold Dominion." When did he EVER say to let go of that?

4. Denis Hard

Threads:
    Man was to hold dominion but he gave it away when he ate the forbidden fruit.

I'll give you an example of when letting go was the best action to take. Peter is in prison. The disciples prayed for him and let God be in charge of everything else. Had they taken matters into their own hands [try to break Peter out of prison] that probably wouldn't have worked. But because they BELIEVED, Peter was set free by an angel.

Thing is we don't have enough faith in God, which is why instead of praying and waiting, people pray and immediately try to take action to get what they want.

5. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Where does the Bible say that?

I disagree. Angels are only messengers, not needing to 'take form' now that the Holy Spirit is among us. I think it's more-likely that the angel showed Peter the opportunity to get out---no matter HOW he retold it.

God is Love. Maybe you feel safe in a fortress built out of that stuff, but I would rather use that love to team-up with the people buildeing it

When Jesus called Simon to walk on the water, did he 'pray and wait'"

6. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    I never understood the concept of prayer. God knows everything right? So he knows we have problems. He knows that we are going through something. So why don't he do something about it without us having to drop on our knees and pray for him to do something. He is a loving and merciful God but why do we have to beg him to do something for us? Someone who is merciful and loving would do good things without being asked to.

7. Denis Hard

Threads:
    You have to ask because it proves that you have faith in Him to answer your prayer.
    Don't forget that He is King of all that lives. He has rules you must obey for Him to do stuff for you before you even ask.
    That promise though only applies to those who are OBEDIENT. Not every Tom, Dick and Harry. Don't parents reward kids who do their chores or [are] well-behaved? How much more will God do for those who believe, obey and do all that is expected of them?

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Umm... I'm sorry to bother you guys about your conversations about God and everything in between, I know that this section of the forum is entitled "Misc & Others" but this is kind of umm, under the "Shopping Discussions" section so I don't understand why this thread is in here. There's an "Off Topic" section on the main forum page for this type of stuff.