Has Anyone Tried A Garden On Their Apartment Balcony?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Verity Darkwaters • Aug 19, 2014.

1. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I live in an apartment so obviously I can't have a garden. However, I looked up apartment gardening, bored one day, and behold people in apartments had gardens! I'm not just talking about potted plants. But people used their balcony to grow vegetables. They had potted plants of course, but they had gardens in stacked pallets, and used a shoe holder to grow stuff. It was amazing! Plus it would save you money on certain veggies, fruits, or herbs. Has anyone tried it? If so how do you do it?

Here are the references:

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Really, you'll just want to follow the guides. There are only so many ways you can do a garden on an apartment balcony, and some property managers might limit your options by limiting what you can put on your balcony. I've done this before, and I use an old crate to grow lettuce and tomatoes (with a trellis stuck into the crate). It's a great way to grow some vegetables, and it might save you a few bucks each year.

3. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Now I'm living on the ground floor with two gardens I can plant as many veggies as my heart desires, but when I used to live in a first floor flat I did grow a few things in window boxes on the balcony, mainly herbs, but they came out lovely. :)

4. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I rent my home so I would love to try this. I don't have a balcony because I live in a one story duplex but I think it would still be very convenient. I'm anxious to teste out my green thumb! I have thought about trying a herb pot. I've seen them where people put say mint, cilantro, parsley and other things in one big pot and have that as a space saver. Not to mention a money saver at that.

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not planning to build a whole garden in my balcony, I need the space for other stuff, but I'm looking for ways to hang plant pots on the balcony windows. To cut the costs I made some pots from plastic beer bottles. Now I just need to find the proper way of placing them on the windows. I'm not growing fancy stuff just the basics like basil, mint and peppers.

Thanks for the links, those are some great ideas! :)