Are you confident in opening up your laptop and performing maintenance?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by troutski • Aug 19, 2014.

1. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So the most basic form of maintenance you can perform on a laptop involves removing the backing and using canned air to clean off the sensitive electronics and fans. Doing so improves the performance of your device and ensures that it won't run sluggishly or overheat due to dirt and grime buildup. Are you comfortable with opening up your laptop and performing this type of maintenance or upgrades? Or would you rather ignore the issue or let someone else take care of it?

2. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, no, I'm not comfortable doing it myself just because I don't know the first thing about it. The only one I allow to do it is my boyfriend, whom has been doing that kind of thing ever since he was a teenager, and I know he knows what hes doing.

3. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Heck no. The only thing I am confident about is adding memory. As far as other stuff is concerned, I consult a professional. It people have a bad rep but they do get the job done. Also if a laptop requires too much maintenance it's probably time to get a new one.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For basic cleaning and maintenance that I can do on my own. There are parts which I ca replace if I know they are defective and I have the replacement at home. For other things like doing a major upgrade, that I wouldn't attempt though. It's better to use a professional in such instances rather than try the upgrade and end up messing things and paying a lot more than you would have initially spent [paying a professional to do that for you].

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Not really. I was confident before with taking apart my CPU but for some reason I'm a bit more hesitant when it comes to laptops. I never really took it apart just to clean it anyway and I mostly just did it to exchange hard drives, so I wouldn't say I would make an initiative to take these things apart just to clean them, admittedly it's mostly due to laziness.

6. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I am. It's just like Lego to be honest. Just remember where the pieces go and everything will be fine and don't go yanking on everything. But if you're not confident enough then it's probably best to let someone else handle it.

7. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    I am pretty comfortable with that level of repair. Dell has very good step by step instructions for pretty much any repair, and doing those sorts of things yourself can save you a lot of money in the long run. It's also more convenient than scheduling a technician or taking your computer to a repair shop. I once changed out my keyboard myself even though having a technician do it would have been covered under warranty, because it was such a hassle to schedule the service.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I am confident opening up my laptop. I have been doing maintenance on computers for a very long time. They don't scare me. Last week, I added a new hard drive to my laptop. ThinkPads are made so that they can be easily upgradeable. I only needed to remove two screws to pull out the hard drive. One of the many reasons why I love them.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The farthest that I have done was getting the RAM off the desktop pc to clean it because it was dirty and has started to make those beeping sounds when turned on instead of booting, so I cleaned it. Then after that, no more beeping sounds. I don't own a laptop but if ever I did, I won't be messing with its parts yet until I'm knowledgeable about it already.

10. rgrimes

rgrimesNew Member

Threads:
    I think I am able to perform basic maintenance on a laptop. It is more difficult for me because I rarely tamper or do any maintenance to my laptop, but more frequently with my PC. I should be alright as long as I don't knock anything over or accidentally stab something.

11. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Yes and no. I'm all for cleaning the bits and stuff off of my computer, opening it up and cleaning the fan simple stuff like that but when it comes to taking apart each part and just cleaning all of it then no. I'd rather have a dirty PC than a broken one.

12. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I can do the cleaning aspect of it myself, but if I need something replacing I normally take it to a friend who will do it for me. I used to build desktop computers from scratch, but have found laptops a little bit tricky for me and my fat clumsy fingers. :)

13. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    If my warranty expired, then yes, I feel confident with opening my laptop case to dedust the insides. After all, it's easy and I'm not working with the hardware. For more complex fixes or maintenance I go to a professional. Laptop hardware is compact and I don't want to risk breaking my laptop - such a mistake is quite costly. With personal computers I'm ok, I periodically open and remove most of the components for a good cleaning. All that dust is killer.

14. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I mean it's just a matter of putting into place what you took part and not pulling out things that doesn't want to come out. Just be careful and you'll be fine. Often times you might want to check for guides online.

15. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    Yeah, I do all the basic cleaning and maintenance on my laptop alone. I have a set of little screwdrivers to open it up. It's a hobby of some kind.
    I also make my own computer from parts and such. I enjoy all technology related items and gadgets, it's just so fun.

So, yeah, I am confident enough. But I did screw up a few times, though!

16. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    God no. I can't trust myself with that kind of things. I'd probably mess up my laptop if i tried, so i'd rather stay away from that situation as much as possible. If there's a need to get my laptop looked at, I'd go to a friend who's a pro when it comes to this kind of technical issues. He knows what he's doing so I'd rather have him do it. :)

17. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    No, no at all. I am not really comfortable doing the mechanical work at all. I just prefer to go to service center and have my laptop fixed for me than dong all these stuff. I am afraid that I might end up messing up my laptop more than it already is. I can't afford to buy another laptop right now, so this is all I got.