Will everyday stretching elongate your legs?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by beccagreen • Aug 19, 2014.

1. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Truth be told I have very short legs, okay maybe not that short but it is rather short which makes me look unproportioned when I'm wearing certain types of clothing. I usually have to hide my legs just to avoid looking weird. My friends told me I should just make way for it visually through clothing but I would like to try out stretching and maybe elongating my legs a bit. So, do you think everyday stretching will actually do something or will it just be a waste of time?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I really don't think it's going to lengthen your legs any. Even if it did, it wouldn't gain you more than an inch or so overall, which wouldn't be noticeable.

That being said, I don't think it's a waste of time for you to stretch overall. :)

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Stretching overall helps to keep your body limber, helps to avoid injuries to your body also. As far as making your leggs longer I really don't think so. I am short also and have never found anything to make me taller. There are clothes styles that will make you look taller or shorter and there are shoes that you can wear that will give the appearance of your leggs being longer. Your answer maybe in the style of clothes you need to wear to give the appearance you desire.

4. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    There seems to be a lot of information around suggesting that stretching will lead to longer legs. I am not too convinced that it does actually work but from what some researchers are saying there are certain exercises that is done properly and regularly will lead to longer legs. That thing is you are not likely to see noticeable increase in the short term so be prepare for results to only happen over a couple of years.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The so-called leg lengthening exercises can only help elongate your legs when you're still growing during puberty]. If stretching does make your bones longer which I doubt is possible then there's no way you can get any noticeable elongation of your legs.

As the others say, stretching isn't a waste of time. It helps you stay fit. And by the way, you shouldn't care too much about what people think about your legs.
    Try that.

6. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it'll make your legs longer, I don't really think there is much you can do but embrace your legs and be happy you have them. I have tiny little legs too, I have to use a step stool to get a cup out of my own cabinets! But stretching can help strengthen you legs I know that.

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think stretching will make you legs any longer unless you are still at a growing age.
    Stretching involves working your muscles to strengthen them, while you leg length is based on the size of your bones, both you femur and your tibia, nothing else. Heck, you leg size IS the sum of the size of those two bones :)

8. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    There is no way to elongate your limbs once you've reached maximum genetic growth. Stretching is good to stay loose and ready for physical activity, but no way your gonna permanently stretch.

9. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah I kinda agree with you guys, I've tried a lot of exercise and I've grown 2 or 3 cm at the least and that's me doing it for almost everyday for the past 2 months. But I'm enrolling in yoga class just to keep my body stretched out and relaxed, my instructor said I can get at least 2 inches more if I correct my posture, better 2 inches than nothing eh?

10. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I think stretching is great for waking up the muscles and preparing yourself for an exercise without a risk to injury. As for elongating your legs ... hmm, no, I can't see it. I think in terms of height, that is program into your DNA. There are workouts you can do to give yourself a much leaner look to give an illusion of longer legs, even if you are petite. You should check out a video by Joanna Soh on YouTube. It's an exercise channel I go to and she has a recent video covering this topic of giving your body a much leaner and longer look, starting with your legs.

11. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think that stretching your legs can make you feel really fit and help in the overall growth of the body, but I do not think it will specifically help you to elongate your legs. I believe such exercise never actually helps a person and they exist only for namesake. The best way to try to look tall is by trying to hide your shortness by wearing the right kind of dress and extremely high heels.

12. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Here's the thing if your epiphysis or growth plates, where elongation or vertical growth of your long bones happens, have closed, whatever you do, there would be no chance of your long bones to lengthen. Stretching exercise for height usually lengthens not the long bones but the vertebrae. They don't really lengthen the spine per se, but the spaces in between the vertebrae. You might want to do stretching exercises on you spine then.