ShopKick = free Starbucks! (among other stuff)

Discussion in Product Reviews started by ragtimeannie • Aug 19, 2014.

1. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    I know I've talked on this forum elsewhere about my former Starbucks habit. We used to go several times a week. Ah, those were the days! Now that I've changed jobs and am chasing my dreams, we've had to cut back a bit, so naturally Starbucks was the first thing to go. I've found ways to soften the blow by making Starbucks-like drinks at home, but honestly, every now and then it sure is nice to go to a genuine Starbucks and have a treat.

Consistently, about every three weeks, our three-person family is able to go out for a treat on the $15 Starbucks reward I get from using ShopKick. ShopKick is an app I have installed on my iPhone. I see that it's also available for Android users as well.

It's super easy and fun to use...
    • Open the ShopKick app when you arrive at a store on their list. Be sure you have your Bluetooth on, or it won't register.
    • Some stores give you more "kicks" for scanning certain items, like a scavenger hunt
    • Once you have enough "kicks," you can cash them in for rewards. I generally get my Starbucks gift card instantly after I redeem my kicks.

Most of my kicks come from Walmart, where I generally do my grocery shopping. Usually I get 30 kicks just for walking in the door, and then I'll get about 25 kicks per item whose barcode I scan while I'm there. Most trips to Walmart I can get 200-300 kicks easily, more if I'm not in a hurry.

Other stores at this time include: Staples, Jcpenney, CVS, Costco, Home Goods, Best Buy, TJ Maxx, Carters, Old Navy, Target, Sports Authority, and Albertsons. All of these stores give you kicks just for walking in, and some have the scavenger hunt kicks in addition. If you're a mall walker, you could really make a killing with this app.

The Starbucks card is $5 for 1250 kicks, $10 for 2500, and $25 for 6250. After you redeem your kicks, go to the "My rewards" section of the app to see the virtual gift card numbers. I like to import the gift card into my Starbucks app so that I get the perks from the Starbucks app as well.

Other rewards include: Target, Macy's, TX Maxx/Marshalls/HomeGoods, JC Penney, Old Navy, iTunes, Best Buy, Red Box, and other stuff.

Anyway, it's a great app. Check it out! :D

2. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    Seems pretty awesome to have especially for my wife who loves Starbucks.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Shopkick is alright if you have unlimited wifi or data plan but I find it eats up my data real quick. Wegman's is the only store that has free wifi which is a real bummer because you can only scan stuff in the Wegman's section and they don't have much because often times they'll put items that aren't even in the store. I use it on occasion but I don't count on this app because it takes too long for me to get rewards the way they have it set up.

4. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I love Shopkick. I have been using it for about 6 months now. I have already redeemed a $15 JcPenney gift card, $45 worth in Target, around $25 in itunes, and $25 in Best Buy giftcards. That is a lot of money and savings! I will continue to use it too. Love it!

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for this post. I have never heard of Shopkick. I'm an going to check it out. I hope that there is an app for Android because I shop at the stores a lot. I also love Starbucks. It seems like a win-win.

6. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I have been using this app for a couple of years and it is one of my favorites. I have cashed out successfully many times for Starbucks and Target gift cards. I love getting points just for walking in the stores because there are times when I just don't have the time to scan all of the items that are featured.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just stumbled into the Shopkick app today and I think using it can save you a decent amount of cash. Just walking into a store and purchasing something which you intended to anyway earns you "kicks" which you can then redeem.

Kicks can be redeemed for various rewards such as gift cards, iTunes song downloads, movie tickets, and Facebook Credits, among others. Rewards are relatively low.

Though rewards might be relatively low that shouldn't discourage anyone from using the app. You aren't doing any hard work to get the rewards so low though they might be, they'll save you a little money.

8. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely have Shopkick on my phone but the problem is I never remember to use it until it's too late! I should really be more proactive about checking if the stores that I'm going to can get me any kicks...and I agree with Denis, this is all passive income anyway so I'll take whatever money I can get!!

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never heard of Shopkick. I don't have a smartphone right now, because I lost mine, but I will look at that app the next time I am in business with a smartphone. Some of the moneymaking apps don't work so well for me because I am out in the country, and there are not a lot of establishments out here.

10. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I have installed Shopkick but I find that I don't use it, mostly because I forget that I'm supposed to scan items while I'm at the store, or i feel like I'm spending more time searching for specific items to scan than I am doing the actual shopping I'm there to do. Sounds like it's worth putting in a little more effort if you're able to get starbucks rewards!

11. ZRadach

ZRadachMember

Threads:
    Thanks for the post! I'm all about semi-/fully-passive earning!

After reading this post, I immediately downloaded it. I had heard about it before, yet, I didn't bother since I thought it required too much effort.

As long as I can earn at least something consistently with little effort, I'm happy. Multiple, small, & passive income sources stack up.

Thanks for reading! :)

12. erbmusic

erbmusicNew Member

Threads:
    Thanks for posting this! I just installed Shopkick on my Android last week. I haven't checked in to any stores yet, but I am excited to gibe it a go! Does it take a long time to accumulate points with Shopkick?

13. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I was using Shopkick consistently through November and December. I'm now thisclose to earning a Starbucks gift card and suddenly there are no points to earn. I guess I go to the same place too often because I have to wait another 30 days before I can get any walk-in kicks at Kroger or Walmart.

14. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just can never get Shopkick to work for me. I have been in stores that work with Shopkick,,,and I never get my points! Even when I am signed into the site...it just won't open and give me my points. I guess maybe the stores I am going in don't have a strong enough wifi connection...I just don't know what to think. It is frustrating.

15. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I'll be honest, I wasn't too impressed with Shopkick. Maybe it's because I don't shop that much but I never got too much use out of it. Didn't use it enough to get good rewards. I mostly use Field Agent and GigWalk as far as apps go. Maybe I'll try it out again and make more of an effort to get more use out of it. I'm a Starbucks fanatic so I could put those gift cards to use.

16. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I love Shopkick. I find it is one of the easiest apps to earn free items on. However, I do forget to turn it on sometimes when I walk into stores. I've redeemed about $30 so far at places like TJMaxx and Starbucks. It's great if you have to go to a mall on the weekend because a lot of times these stores offer a lot of kicks just for walking in. You can also tie your credit card to it to get extra kicks. However, a lot of people are hesitant to do this.