Is Rap music destroying our youth?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by ericah23 • Aug 20, 2014.

1. ericah23

ericah23New Member

Threads:
    Okay so I have to know what is your opinion on this?

2. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Short answer:

Of course not.

Long answer:

Of course not. What's making young people crazy in today's world is the lack of a moral compass.
    When their parents, for whatever reason, don't provide this, that's when you have a problem.
    And it's such a complex problem, that involves so many moving parts...
    It's ridiculous when people try to say that it's videogames, or rap music, or Marilyn Manson.

Why do YOU think rap music is destroying our youth?

3. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    As much as I dislike rap I don't think that it destroys anyone. Actually, I don't believe a genre of music can have a huge enough effect to ruin youths. The misconception of rap is that people tend to link rapping to cursing in songs. Not all rap songs have curse words in them, some of them are actually really good quality music. I don't think it makes any sense at all.

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think rap music has a huge influence on youth (especially those who love to listen to rap). The lyrics mostly deal with rebellious behavior, drugs, sex, violence, money, hate, revenge, and many others. Youth is very much affected my the music they hear and thus rap affects them too. There are those who don't really mind the lyrics while there are those who take the lyrics in rap music seriously.

Do I think that rap music is destroying the youth? Well, not really... As long as we would be able to educate them, it won't have much of an effect.

5. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    What about these guys?

[video=youtube;AtaCr3iGpOU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtaCr3iGpOU[/video]

Are they destroying our youth?
    The video has almost 1M views...

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think it is the music that is destroying the youth. I do not like the language used in some of the music or on the videos. The words used are so gross, if you hear or use those words when talking to a friend without thinking there will be a time when it will come out of your mouth at the very time you do not want it to because that is the way you are use to talking. Suppose you are talking to your boss the conversation gets heated and out come the words oops.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think so. Television is full of violence and sex, not only fictional shows but news programs constantly talk about murders etc. and those can prove to be damaging to kids as well but with proper parental guidance, no external influence will ever be strong enough to have that much effect on them. What I do find suspect, however, is how we're all accepting the violence and sex on media but somehow a little swear word is a bit too much.

8. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Rap music is not destroying anything, Satan is! I grew up listening to all types of music and rap was my music of choice, but it never made me think outside of myself. Of course entertainment had an influence on me, but for the most part, I was in control not TV, nor rap. I will say that rap definitely has gone to a whole other level with wickedness and subliminal messages. Some of the messages are definitely not the best for our youth, but hey, God never fails.

9. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cool Video.

I think that Rap is commonly associated with sex and violence and that not a lot of people know that there are also rap music with lyrics that pertain to love, religion, belief faith, repentance, and redemption.

Then again, probably there are more rap songs that pertain to drugs and violence and sex than there are rap songs that pertain to faith because that's the image that rap has on other people. I love rap. I love Eminem and Tupac. I love rap metal too (Linkin Park).

But if we look at what's happening to the youth, how they're behaving, you'd see that there are a lot of those who are becoming rebellious. There are a lot of those who are becoming war freaks. And probably these children love to listen to rap music. So it's a bit easy for people to say that rap is destroying the youth.

10. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    No, rap music isn't destroying our youth. Here's a list (in my humble opinion) of what's hurting them.

Absentee parents
    Poorly run schools
    Drugs/Alcohol
    Molestation

Whenever you see a destroyed adult, someone who's off balance, it's usually a combo of the above. The person's parents weren't around much or he or she got into drugs. It's never, 'I began to listen to rap and my life spiraled out of control'.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't think so. Your question reminds me of the debate as to whether video games can make the youth violent. I think rap music certainly promotes drugs, sex, money and girl's bodies, but it's up to the personality of the person if they would do jail-worthy or immoral things that rap music promotes in real life.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Rap, TV, Movies, Social Media, etc, etc do not in any way make young people disrespectful, unruly, promiscuous and so on. If a kid is bad and grows up to be bad then the parents and the schools are to blame. The problem is parents are too busy making money that they forget their responsibility to be there for their children and guide in all things ETHICS.

13. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Of course not. That's just plain silly. What's destroying our youth is plain ignorance, that's it. Stupid pop culture icons, stupid TV shows, stupid society and lack of proper education when combined can be very dangerous. You can add to that mix the lack of proper parenting. Don't blame music for the stupid things people do.

14. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I'm more interested in knowing why you think rap music is destroying our youth.
    If it's about violence or language, the same argument can be (and has been) used for television, radio or books.
    Like in other media, there is rap music of good quality and rap music of bad quality, it's up to the parents to be interested in their children and see what they are doing.

15. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is not a shred of doubt in my mind that music is not to blame for destroying young people. Of course I am different than most people but that's exactly my point. It depends on the person. When I was younger, I'd watch movies with profane content and listen to music with sexual innuendos. I had no idea what any of it meant.
    For the ones who have a problem, parents need to do a better job of being parents because they are the biggest influence in a person's life.

16. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I like the old school rap of the early late 70's and early 80's when it was still clean. Then Tupak and Public enemy of the 90's where there was an actual message in the music. The "shoot em up" and calling women out of their name I can do without. Destroying our youth? It doesn't help when they love music that degrades women and glorifies violence that's for sure.

17. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it is. I think a lot of things are, but that's not one of them. There are goods and bads to every music genre, you really can't blame music for "destroying" a generation. It doesn't cause people to do hateful things, and if it does, it's a select few that would have done that for one reason or another.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's just another genre of music, and a lot of today's youth actually don't even listen to it. There's people who listen to country and commit hate crimes against minorities. It's like movies and video games, people don't have to be influenced by them, especially if their moral compass is pointed in the right direction.

19. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Of course not. It's the community, bad parenting and ignorance that's destroying our youth. Don't blame music for the wrong doings of moronic people that's just plain ignorant and stupid.

20. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    Definitely no.

If you think so, you probably have a wrong POV on the subject of rap.

It's the same with any type of music - there are good examples, and there are bad examples. Rap can be really inspiring and thoughtful, if you listen to the right artists and bands. Again, it's the same with any music. But rap has been a big part of our culture, and it's for a reason. ;)