Would You Eat Raw Meat

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Aug 20, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Eating raw food is getting to be rather popular. It may not be that popular at the moment but the Raw Food Movement intends to get more people to eat their food raw. Among some of their reasons for not cooking food is that:

For some foods, toxins are created when the food is cooked.
    Vegetables lose minerals and vitamins when they are cooked.

And others . . .

Those may sound like great reasons for not cooking food but wouldn't eating raw meat be really sickening?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sickening it is! I will never eat any type of raw food since I find it not edible. Imagine all the germs that you would be consuming if you ate them since they're not cooked. I don't even like half-cooked vegetables, so how much more if it's 100% not cooked? So eating raw food is not for me.

3. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have a theory that over millions of years our bodies have evolved to an extent where they wouldn't be able to deal with raw meat like our ancestors. I've never tried it, the closest I've got is eating rare steak. it isn't something I'll be trying and I'm very adventurous with my food.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been a vegetarian for a very long time. Eating too many raw vegetables can damage your digestive system. Contrary to common belief, every person has specific dietary needs. What is good for you, might not be good for me at all. Countless books have been written about allegedly "holistic" and "healthy" diets, that in fact can cause a lot of damage to those who aren't aware of their personal nutritional needs.
    I think eating raw meat is a very bad idea for many obvious reasons. One of them being the danger of getting infected with parasites and other illnesses.

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    No, vegetables are the only thing that I would (and sometimes do) eat raw. Cooking is not only essential for killing bacteria, but also for digestion.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I can't eat even one egg raw, so let's not talk about meat :D I tried eating raw meat and let's say it wasn't that bad, but it was a small quantity and I used salt and pepper. I really don't see myself eating a whole meal composed of just raw meat, I'd get a bad case of indigestion. And I'm pretty sure that some types of meat must be cooked in order to destroy some of the bad stuff, like bacteria, that is naturally found in it?

Maybe the popularity is artificial. When you get a bunch of news outlets/social media sites talking about something it tends to be viewed as popular even when it's not.

7. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    No, I just started straying away from steak that's well done. So, I'll stick to the traditional way to eat meat. Plus, as soon as someone gets sick from eating raw meat, this trend will die down. After all, cooking meat does kill off a few germs.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The raw food movement does not suggest you eat raw meat. Not that I've seen anyway. I eat a lot of raw foods, but I cook as well. I think if you take all of the whole food "diets" and cram them into your life, you're covered. Raw food, yes.. cooked food, yes. Eat more, not less, eat as many foods with little to no ingredients as possible and crap food "in moderation" is a load of bs.. if it were a bottle with cross bones on it, you wouldn't even think of it. Food is right up there with the number one killers.. as long as you eat what your body is meant to, don't read too deeply into the fads. Do what your body responds well to.

9. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I won't lie I do eat raw meat. I love raw beef. I could take a piece out of the fridge and eat it. I don't, maybe a nibble. I do it a little with pork, though I always cook it. I ALWAYS cook chicken and turkey. Most fish I'll cook too though I enjoy occasional raw fish. I'm not sure why I like raw meat, always have. Occasionally I crave it, which is odd (not preggers). I've been doing this for many years and haven't gotten sick yet, guess I'm just lucky.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think I ever would because I've already grown very much used to cooked food. I don't even like raw fish sushi which is already famous so I don't think kid be able to stomach raw beef. I'd maybe taste it once but I honestly don't think I'd like it enough to seek it out again. I'd much rather just eat more fruits and vegetables to compensate for lost nutrients than eat raw and gain more.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't often eat rare meats, mainly because much of the commercially processed meat has been through too many different hands before it gets to my plate and the chances for contamination are much higher. Plus when you see some of the conditions at some of these factories, they are deplorable. They will do anything to make a buck. I've seen them cutting open cows, who have enormous tumors which are spilling out puss and slime, and they just rinse it off with some chemicals and continue to process it. Even raw seafood can be dangerous - you can catch Hepatitis from eating raw shellfish for example.

I don't mind a good cut of steak medium rare or rare as long as it's from a reputable source. Even better if the meat has been dry aged, since a lot of the natural enzymes that form and tenderize the meat also protect it from anything bad. But stuff like hamburger, where the contaminated surfaces of the meat are ground into the meat itself, no way. Plain old steaks are safer since the surface of the meat is cooked off, and the inside remains unexposed. However even those can be dangerous too since some supermarkets have started stabbing the steaks with blades to tenderize them, which in turn pushes any surface contamination into the meat itself.

12. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Of course not. I like my beef cooked thank you very much. Veggies I can get down with that but when it comes to meat well I'm not. Fish I can understand since I've eaten raw fish (Sushi) but beef or pork or whatever kind of meat raw is really not going to cut it for me.

13. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely not. There's absolutely no sane reason to eat meat raw. Parasites, the meat going bad in a few days, horrible taste etc. There's only health risks in eating meat raw and absolutely no gain. It's not the same as eating raw vegetables as vegetables are safe to eat raw without risk of getting sick if you rinse off the veggie.

14. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Even with sushi, those are prepared by special chefs who know what they are doing. I wouldn't trust eating raw fish without it being prepared by someone who's been trained in that form of cooking. It's just not worth the risk and all the potential food poisoning that can happen with ill prepared food

15. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know several people who follow a raw food diet. It doesn't include eating raw meat. Most of the raw foodists are vegan or vegetarians. I do eat some raw foods. My girlfriend made a raw food version of tuna (fake tuna). It was so delicious! But I would never eat raw meat. I have lost a lot of trust in the meat industry so I am leery about eating meat. I certainly wouldn't eat raw meat.

16. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    No of course not I mean, that's the very reason why fire exists (not really) is too cook food. Maybe if I'm in a really tight situation I would but if society hasn't plunged down into apocalyptic measures then I'll stick with my cooked meat.

17. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Out of necessity and curiosity maybe yes. But if I were to eat raw meat everyday I don't think I'll be able to carry on with that. Vegetables I can stomach raw but meat? No way man.

18. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    The only thing that I will eat raw is some vegetables. I have ate stake medium rare but other than that I prefer my meat to be fully cooked. A lot of people has gotten sick for eating raw meat and I refuse to be food poisoned because of uncooked meat.

19. sharpayvargas1

sharpayvargas1Member

Threads:
    How come not not a single person that disagree's to eating raw meat never said "yuck!"? Let's all say at once, "Yuck!". Well that's in the place where I were brought up. My family, my friends and in the previous company where I worked, we don't eat raw meat. Someone doing that is like a cannibal. Would it be even possible that you will eat people?

20. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    NEVER lol. I can't even eat a steak rare. Ugh even the smell of raw meat makes me want to puke. I'm definitely not down with raw food and barely eat any vegetables raw lol.