Are Cat Owners Hypocrites?

Discussion in Pets started by Denis Hard • Aug 20, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most cat owners consider themselves to be animal lovers. Don't they care for an animals after all [?], cat-owner haters ask.

According to real animal lovers, someone who really loves animals shouldn't keep meat-gorging cats because they depend on eating meat obtained from other animals: pigs, cows, etc. What I don't get though is what these anti--cat ownership people suppose cats should eat if they can't have meat.

What do you think? Are cat owners any worse than all the other meat-gorging people who may not own pets that are carnivorous? Are you a better animal-lover if you own a pet that doesn't eat meat?

2. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    What? Cats shouldn't be gorged on meat? What do they eat in the wild? Yes, MEAT! I don't understand this argument at all. :confused:

The only thing I believe cat owners should cut back on is the amount of "treats" they give their cats as some of them go overboard.

What I will say though is that people who are anti anything will often resort to ludicrous statements that are clearly plucked out of thin air when they are losing the argument.

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Cat don't need to eat meat anyway, but I really don't understand the opposition at all here.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cats are carnivores.. they NEED meat. Yes, need. Please do not deprive your pets of that or you'll be very sorry. That said... both cats and humans alike have evolved on meat.. we may be able to live without meat, but our instincts are to eat it.. that doesn't necessarily make us hypocrites; I just think most people wouldn't eat it now if they had to kill the animals themselves. I don't eat meat, but I have cats. carnivores will die without meat and I'm not a hypocrite for denying meat to those who are actually reliant on it. It's a necessity, whereas for humans, it's not.

5. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a cat owner. Cats are carnivore, they need meat to survive. Their digestive system evolved for eating meat, and also their teeth. They can't digest veggies as well as meat, and they need nutrients that are only found in meat in order to live. There are a lot of species that are carnivores. Carnivores exist and as an animal lover one would understand that it's normal for animals to eat each other, and if we value animal diversity we must love both herbivores, carnivores and omnivores animals. I think the real hypocrites are those who try to force a vegan diet on a cat. You can't call yourself an animal lover while at the same time harming your pets by not giving them proper nutrition.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't understand the statement all too much, but from what I gather, I think dogs eat meat as well and of course that meat is bound to be from some other animal. I don't really see the issue in keeping pets that eat other animals because a lot of pets tend to be that way including snakes and even some fish. They would be doing the same had they been in the wild. If people are really getting to be this much sensitive I would really start to worry.

7. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Unless you only feed your cat fish, which I believe is not healthy but you can look it up your going to need to feed your cat the pet food with yes, MEAT. But I do understand what your saying because I consider myself an animal lover but when I give my dogs their food knowing all the animals in it, I can't help but think about the suffering that many have been involved for those animals. I've been hearing more stories about the plight of farm animals and how cruelly they're treated.

8. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I think what we as animal lovers can do now is to make sure our cats are spayed or neutered and if we can, to donate to the different groups that focus on TNR (trap, neuter, release) of feral cats.

Because cats were domesticated mostly to control rats, but then we started keeping them as pets and unfortunately we allowed them to overpopulate. If we could control the population, not only will less cats suffer on the streets or die at shelters, but also we could reduce the amount of animals needed to feed those cats, and reduce the number of birds and other small animals killed by stray or feral cats, or just pets that are allowed outdoors.

9. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I am a cat owner and I love being around them. The point you raised here is spot on instead of just touchy feelings about the welfare of other animals. It's concrete, doable, and best of all, logical.

10. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say it'd be MORE hypocritical for someone to improperly take care of their cat by denying them the proper food diet they need to be healthy. That's part of being a cat owner; despite what your own beliefs are, you need to do what's best for the health of your animal.

11. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    I don't understand where you were going with this post. Cats are carnivores, plain and simple. Meat has been, is, and always will be the best thing to feed them. There is nothing hypocritical about it.

12. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, here's another post that makes absolutely no sense. Cats and dogs are both meat-eaters, and there's nothing wrong with that. Feeding meat to an animal isn't a problem, and saying it is doesn't hold much water.

13. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Cats need meat to survive as do dogs. They need the protein. I don't think that makes them hypocrites. I think they'd be hypocritical if they said they loved animals but hated everything but cats.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I fully don't get your point, but cats need meat just like humans to be able to survive, so I don't see the validity of the debate that they say that cat owners are hypocrites.