Are those PC maintenance softwares for real?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by daimashin • Aug 21, 2014.

1. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm referring to programs like Tuneup Utilities and Advanced System Care with PC maintenance. I've had Advanced System Care Free installed for a few years, and while I regularly "scan and repair" my computer, I don't really see the difference. Actually, I uninstalled it today and found that my PC runs faster. I'm starting to think that these programs don't actually do anything and just rely on the user's placebo effect.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The software doesn't kind of like repair you PC. The tune it up. By fixing registry errors and doing some other background stuff I don't know of [since I'm no geek] the software makes your PC run faster. I've used some free software for that and though I didn't see much improvement in speed I did notice a slight difference because the computer wasn't as slow as it previously was.

So I do believe those maintenance softwares do work but I wouldn't pay for any when I could get a good one free.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I only used such software what I knew next to nothing about computer maintenance. From what I remember they only clean the registry, delete unused files that clog the system and fix other minor issues that slow down a computer. But fixing real problems, not so much. I'd rather not buy such software or I'd use free stuff like CCleaner that has similar options (like the ones I talked about) to clean your system.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Advanced Systemcare is one of the few programs that actually works. You need to use all of its features, especially the RAM clearing tool to see a real effect, though. It's especially useful for deleting files that are infected with a virus or files that contain sensitive information. I'd go for the PRO paid version in order to see the real benefits of the software, though. The free version is somewhat limited, and you're missing out on some of the best features available.

5. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah some of them are pretty legit. Although I'm not so sure about those Registry Cleaners, they don't seem to do anything that's useful. But as for those hard drive cleaners and driver update softwares, they're pretty much legit, just be careful with the free ones though.

6. troutski

Threads:
    Oh, good one. Driver update programs are perhaps the best thing you can install on your machine. A computer running on outdated software will bog down and start to perform incredibly sluggishly. Some people don't even know they have to update their computer's drivers, and they wonder why their machine craps out on them after a few months. Updates are constantly released and falling behind on the update schedule can leave your machine down in the dumps.

7. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are PC maintenance software that work and there are those that don't. I had Advanced System Care installed in my past laptop once and I thought it was great. However, you know what happened? It got attacked by a virus and I hid the laptop reformatted. It's now being used by my mom without Advanced System Care installed.

My current laptop does not have any PC maintenance software installed except for an Antivirus software called Malwarebytes and I haven't encountered any trouble for a looong time. My advice? Just read some reviews of the software before installing it on your PC.

8. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Some of them do work actually, when I was still struggling with my old PC I tend to use those maintenance softwares to clean up my system and they do actually work. But be careful though, don't just install them willy nilly, some of them contain adware and other software that will give a lot of headache. The best PC maintenance software I can recommend to you is, well it's already in your computer it's called "Disk Cleanup" and "Disk Defragmenter" pair it with a decent Anti Virus program and you're all set.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm not an expert, but I personally don't trust the softwares that use pop up ads as a means to advertise. If ever I were to trust a software that promises to clean up my computer, as I have done so in the past, I usually just rely on recommendation from others because I think that if a product is good then it can rely on word of mouth instead of just pushing their product forcefully via pop up ads.

10. troutski

Threads:
    If a software's being advertised through random popup ads and not on the developer's website, then you're just asking for trouble. You're wise to ignore those popups because they're almost always going to infect your computer with malicious files. There are hundreds of legitimate software out there that range in effectiveness, but there are thousands upon thousands of fake programs that are designed to compromise your personal information and your computer rather than fixing it.

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yes some of them work some of the don't it's all 50/50. Personally I find them to really helpful especially those driver updaters they're really good. But as for those cleaners like hard drive cleaners and stuff, I would just stick to the default application installed on your OS which disk cleanup for Windows, I don't the Mac counterpart.

12. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I've had ASC Pro for two years but didn't find it very useful. Most of the time I found it slowing down my PC especially when loading folders. Icons are especially slow to load. I've got it removed and now everything seems to work smoother. I've switched to MalwareBytes which detected a few malwares that ASC didn't all these times.

13. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    I think that most of the freeware that says 'Make your PC runs faster' actually slows down the PC more, as they are just programs that keep running in the background, which use up resources as well as some tend to send pop-up adverts all the time, which is their way of making money, but slows down your PC even more, so I am not surprised if the OP found that his PC runs faster without the software. I find that the software already in your PC, like Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter, as well as Windows Updates, are usually good enough to do the jobs that these programs do.

14. elizabeta

elizabetaNew Member

Threads:
    I can safely vouch for TuneUp Utilities, though it doesnt really make my machine to run any faster, it saves me a lot of time in freeing up HD space due to duplication and also fixing registry errors. The downside to it is that it can really take up a lot of CPU space when its performing its "Tune Ups"

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use Wise Care 365, and all it does is delete unwanted and useless files in your pc like registry files and invalid shortcuts, etc. I think that's just what those kind of softwares do, they just delete anything unwanted and useless that takes up space in your pc. They also offer to clean traces of your viewed files and they shred them too.

16. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the same. You can't optimize space that doesn't exist so the only way to do it is to delete things. I don't trust anything but Ccleaner though because I've been gun shy of downloading. I do wish that it was better on cleaning registry though but it's not a big deal because I'll just clear registry manually every now and then.

17. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I haven't used one which I could say actually works. I haven't tried out a lot of tools, but that's primarily because I think most of them are useless, especially if you're careful and have technical knowledge in PCs in the first place. There is also the issue that these tools can do more harm than good, especially registry cleaners.

18. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    Most of the benefits can be solved with a little computer know-how. "Clearing the RAM" as they call it is simply ending useless processes that run in the background, many of which can be disabled through the control panel or services.msc (search for it in the Start searchbar). You'll be able to disable services or programs on startup. The only trouble is figuring which programs/services are essential, but if you read up on the internet you might be able to save some money not going for the PRO versions.

19. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah it's really simple at least if you're computer savvy like I am. However, sometimes I wonder if I'm missing something because of the occasional freezing but I know this is a common problem with Flash and Firefox sadly.

20. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Windows already has a tool to defrag your hard drive, and CCleaner is free and can clean your temp files as well as registry files. That's pretty much all these tune up type tools do for your PC, they just bundle these features into one program and market themselves as some magical repair tool for your computer. Some of them can actually screw your system up even worse. I recently tried one out called Glary Utilities, for example, and it messed up my registry, causing many programs to not show up in my "installed applications" list, that I use to uninstall programs from my control panel. So now I cannot uninstall certain programs, unless I do it all manually.