Clothes for fall/winter weather

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by mariee • Aug 21, 2014.

1. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Hi guys. So on October I'm going to be traveling for the first time and I wanted to ask if any of you have advice on what kinds of clothes I need to pack for the colder weather. I'm from Puerto Rico so I'm only used to tropical weather. I'm going to be traveling to Missouri and I read the weather can change there pretty quickly, the average temps are 68 / 48 Fahrenheit but I read it could go warmer or much colder suddenly. I'm going to be staying for about a month there and I'm not sure I will have the chance to do any shopping there other than Walmart, so I want to be prepared, specially being plus size which means clothes are harder to find. Also which stores would you recommend for affordable basic clothes for the colder weather?

2. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Okay, what part of Missouri and what time in October. The beginning of October is generally mild in the southern end of Missouri and by the end can get cold. It changes though. The northern half can get pretty chilly. I'd suggest you'd bring a coat, long sleeves, and jeans. However, also pack a few t-shirts and a hoodie in case of cool/warm days. Believe it or not Walmart has plus-sized winter apparel. I think they go up to 3x. That is where I do my shopping and I'm a plus-sized gal.

3. jmg707

jmg707New Member

Threads:
    I think the key is to dress in layers. I always have a sweater and scarf with me when I travel. If you stick to some neutral colors for basics (pants and tops) you can brighten up with a pattern. Also, jewelry of any kind works to dress up a bit if you need to. A fun necklace or some bracelets. I am a terrible over packer when it some to traveling. I like to be prepared for anything ;) As for where to shop, it is not necessary to spend a ton of money. Look for sales if you can. Shop around online for a few style boards that you like and then look for those items! There are several stores that do have plus size clothing for women. I think it is more about the individual items that you choose. You want to be comfortable and look good. Don't buy things that you wouldn't for your daily life either. Your style is your style. Pick up a light jacket and definitely some closed toe shoes. If the weather is unpredictable, you will be ready!

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd say just use your common sense. Buy some warm jumpers and jeans, some woollen stockings and socks. Invest in a good jacket,
    some sturdy shoes, perhaps some gloves and a woollen hat. If you are not fussy, you can find a lot of good quality clothes in thrift stores, some of which have hardly ever been worn. You might find some really original items there and not spend much money at all.

5. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Great to know. Our local Walmarts clothes are very limited, usually just underwear, exercise clothes, tees, tshirts and shorts. Probably because it doesn't make sense to bring winter clothes to a tropical climate but I've noticed other American stores do, and then they usually end up in clearance sections because not enough people buy.

I don't know what area I'm going, I'll have to research that.