Would you have a pet snake in your house?

Discussion in Pets started by Kek • Aug 21, 2014.

1. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    My brother fell in love with ball pythons a couple of years ago. I followed his obsession shortly after. Before you know it, he was ordering heating pads off E-bay and thinking about how to construct a terrarium for a ball python he was about to order. Time flew by and we somehow got over our obsession. He never actually got the ball python we both desperately wanted back then. I hope he gets one soon, because I haven't gotten over my obsession yet! I think snakes are amazing creatures!

Ball pythons kill their pray by squeezing them. They are not venomous. Pythons eat mice that you can easily buy online. They don't need much maintenance actually!

Do you have a pet snake at home? If not, would you like to have it? Why, why not?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate snakes and most reptiles. Suffice it be said that I've been in places where poisonous snakes live and witnessed first hand what they can do . . .

Most snakes kept as pets though not venomous still can be dangerous especially the big ones. Owing to the fact that I have this snake phobia, I don't think I'd ever get myself a snake for a pet.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    If you are going to get a snake, ball pythons are DEFINITELY the choice to go with for your first one. You'll love it. Just do all your research, stay up to date on it, and love your new little buddy. They're very relaxing to have. <3

4. donding

dondingNew Member

Threads:
    Snakes creep me out, so I don't think I could ever consider owning one as a pet. And even if I somehow learned to not be creeped out by the creature, any family or guests I have over at my place would freak out, and possibly never want to come visit again. I don't want that to happen, so I don't get snakes.

5. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    You definitely sound like a snake lover! Do you have any snakes at home? It sounds like you have experience with ball pythons! Do you have any tips for a beginner like me on how to feed and handle them? Please share your thoughts with us! I'm glad I found someone that shares my passion for snakes! Thank you for existing and loving our snakey friends! :)

6. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, nope, nope, there is no way a snake would be allowed in my house. I would cry every time I saw it. Just thinking of it and knowing it was in my house would make me cry. I'm glad you like them though.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't because I'd be too paranoid sleeping at night with a snake that might break loose somehow. I do find them fascinating to look at especially when they eat, but I'd much rather just watch it through a tv screen or at least just watch other people' pets which would allow me to bask in their glory with actually having to go though the paranoia and maintenance.

8. Jessi

Threads:
    I don't currently, but yes, when I was younger, we had snakes. We did a ton of research and found that ball pythons were the right ones to start with. As for advice on feeding and handling, seriously, it's going to depend on your research because you'll end up having a set size of snake....and will need to adjust the food size based on that, too.

9. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, I never thought of that! Come to think of it, you can't exactly feed a whole mouse to a newly-hatched ball python, it couldn't swallow it at all! What do pythons even eat until they grow big enough to have a mice diet? I would assume cockroaches or something like that, but I really have no clue. Perhaps small chunks of meat? I will definitely have to do some research before getting a snake, it would be stupid not to.

10. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have seen a lot of people who have snakes as their pets. I feel really sad for the snakes when they are put up in a small cage and not treated how they should be. The actual place of the snakes is in the forest and capturing them from their natural habitat is really horrible. In our religion, snakes are worshipped and it is really disheartening to see how some people do not respect the snakes how they should be respected.
    I would never have a snake as my pet. However, I would love to befriend a snake, which is living in the forest. Snakes are as much scared of human beings as we are of them. So, it is always good to keep our distance from these creatures.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger I really wanted to have on albino python (The yellow and white one) which would be called Banana. I always loved how beautiful and fascinating snakes are, even though they're not really friendly, are they? They are quite expensive to buy and to maintain, so I don't think I would have one. However if someone offered one to me for free I probably would accept it!

12. Jessi

Threads:
    They can eat pinkie mice (baby mice) and will continue to do so even once they get a little larger.

And while ball pythons won't get big enough usually to eat anything larger than a rat, larger snakes (like Burmese pythons) can end up eating baby and full sized rabbits, too.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind snakes and think they're cool. I wouldn't keep my daughter from getting a snake if she wanted one, but I personally like furry pets that I can cuddle with.
    I like touching snakes at the science museum because they're dry and smooth, but I wouldn't choose one for my pet.

14. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I am terrified of snakes, so I will not allow a snake in my home. I do not care if it is a pet or not. A snake is a snake. They can always turn on you just like any animal.

15. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I am not afraid of snakes, but my housemates are. So it's a big no for me. But if I were living alone, I still wouldn't want a snake as a pet. I couldn't imagine myself taking care of a snake ever.

16. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't, not because I'm scared of them, I'm not, I just don't have the room for one in this pokey little flat I'm living in. If I was in a bigger place then I'd definitely consider it as long as my girlfriend wasn't living with me as she is petrified of them!

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I won't take care of one, they don't appeal to me visually and they are known to eat cats, chickens small kids, etc. Who knows, one day it let itself loose on our house and it ate my cat and our Jack Russell Terrier? So I'd rather take care of cute and furry little creatures instead, like hamsters and rabbits.