What Does the Ice-Bucket Challenge DO for Lou Gehrig's Disease?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by mythman • Aug 21, 2014.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I mean; I understand how

, but what the heck does 'pouring a bucket of ice-water on your head' do to fight the disease?

2. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    From my understanding, it is to raise awareness about a horrible disease and it has done the job. The objective is to donate money to actually make an impact and the water challenge is the main reason why it has gone viral. It more like a marketing tactic to reel in customers. I am not discrediting anyone but If you choose to take part, donate!

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mythman, when you have ALS, your muscles atrophy and you become a prisoner in your own body. The involuntary tensing up when the ice water is dumped on you is symbolic of the loss of muscle control that you experience when you have ALS.

Also the fact that celebrities worldwide are doing this challenge is raising the profile of the fundraiser and making regular people more aware that they should donate.
    So a really insane and impressive amount of money has been raised, because people who obsess over celebrities want to feel like they're a part of something big that celebrities are doing.

It's too bad that it takes celebrities making videos of themselves being doused in ice water to raise awareness of a disease that has been around for ages.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Ice Bucket Challenge is great publicity. I know about ALS, but never thought about it. This Challenge has brought it to my attention. I'm sure it's also educating a lot of people who never heard of the disease. The Ice Bucket Challenge has been going on for about two months, but it didn't really take off until celebrities got involved.

5. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:

It's really great publicity. It's also been in the news because a lot of celebrities are already taking part it in and daring their friends to take the challenge. I just wish they would also cover more about the disease not just the ice bucket challenge. :(

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At first, I thought it was dumb. There are so many stunts going around FOR something and no real donating, so they do absolutely nothing for the cause. This is crazy though. I've seen random groups of people doing it wherever I go, it seems. My news feed on facebook has so many of these videos every day, just of people I know.. so I can't even imagine the numbers.

These are the things that need to happen to get people's attention sadly. Because there are SO many diseases and the top killers are getting most of the attention. The world is celebrity obsessed.. it's dumb, but at least in this case it's helping.