Have you ever traveled first class?

Discussion in Travel started by H.C. Heartland • Aug 22, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Have you every traveled first class? I have traveled first class on a train only. The monetary difference was not that bad. On plane travel however, the monetary value is quite large, and so I have never thought it worth it to try. Family and friends have traveled by first class as it was offered by the airlines for a bump, buddy pass, etc. But the 'extras' that they received just don't impress me that much. The listed advantages are more space, a quieter environment, better food, more customer service (which is a plus considering last time I flew overseas, I couldn't get the attendants to even look at me), and of course faster entrance onto the plane (which when it comes to packing my overhead luggage I'm somewhat panicky to get in there first for fear there wont be enough room, but other than that who wants to get on too early?). What do you think? Have you flown first class? Is it worth it?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think it's only relevant for people who need more space, to be honest.

I rarely have issues with noise anyway and I'm a small girl, so I don't care about the extra seat space or leg room.

Someone on the larger side would be much more comfortable in first class, though.

3. Canadianlover

CanadianloverMember

Threads:
    I would presume first class service differs airline to airline. I have never flown first class myself but my friends have. From what I've heard you can stretch your legs out and actually lay down to sleep. I don't consider first class to be worth it on my budget. When I travel I always go for the economy class.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have, and it was glorious. I've been spoiled by it and I really wish I could just fly via first class every time but unfortunately I was only able to do so once by chance and I didn't have to spend my own money for it. I might change my tune if I actually had to pay for it each time though but hopefully someday I'd have enough money that it wouldn't be such a dent on my budget. However, I don't really like traveling all that much to make that much of a goal out of it. I'm just glad I got to experience it and find out what all the fuss was about.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even if I could afford it, I would probably not spend the money on first class. Maybe business, but I can think of better things to do with the money as it is a short period of time you are traveling.
    I rarely eat airline food and I don't let getting disturbed on a flight. I know they offer drinks and gourmet food, but is it worth the cost?
    The only things good are the luggage allowance, the frequent flier miles and the extra leg room.

6. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    My company has a policy of booking first class for international flights, and it makes a big difference. I took two trips to Asia last year. The first one I talked my company into splitting my first class ticket into two economy tickets so that my husband could come with me, but that didn't make sense for my second trip so I got to go first class. For a flight longer than 10 hours, the difference is remarkable. First of all, the first class seats are full pods where your seat flattens all the way out into a small bed. It is kind of like trying to sleep on someone's couch, so it isn't super spacious but it's actually possible to sleep. The other big difference was that they provide you with more food, better food, and you have more choice in the type of food.

I definitely don't think it's worth first class for domestic flights, because they aren't long enough to warrant the perks and I'm not tall/large enough to need extra space. It's very nice for international flights, but I don't know if I will ever be rich enough to pay more than double for the luxury. I am very glad, however, that my company has the policy it does. It makes it much easier to get off a plane and go straight to work.

7. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've never traveled first class but am curious to do one day just to see if its worth the $1000 price tag that I've heard of. I mean champagne and caviar with lobster and all that lol? Actual room for your legs? Ann actual meal? Since now-a-days they don't feed you anymore. All the peanuts you want... My imagination is running wild! A relative of mine recently took first a trip first class because she needed the extra leg room but I didn't much of other perks, I need to ask her.

8. rgrimes

rgrimesNew Member

Threads:
    I'm not too bothered out it. I don't really know why someone would pay 200$ extra just for a bit of leg space. I think the economy class is fine for me, but I would like to fly first class once just to experience it.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was bumped up to first class once. A friend of the family was working at the airline gate and upgraded me. It was great. The leg room was wonderful. I was the first to board and the first to disembark. Drinks and food all during the flight. One flight attendant for the four of us.

I don't know if I would splurge for a first class seat, but it sure would be nice especially for a long flight.

10. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I wish someday I could fly first class just for the experience. I guess its all worth it for longer flights. From what I gathered, the first class is ridiculously priced because it subsidizes the cheap seats. The longest flight I've been in was 4 hours. Was able to sleep rather comfortably.

11. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Just as an FYI Airfrance who also works with Delta serves you champagne on the trip from Paris to the States. We only flew economy and were way in the back next to some of the bathrooms. Maybe the flight attendant was showing mercy by offering it to me, but I did also see it on the menu and so I think it is something they normally do. Many of us have had sparkling wine but I thought to be able to drink champagne that actually came from Champagne France was pretty cool. Also, on the way to Madagascar, the man sitting next to us went in the back and asked the stewardess for ice-cream and she gave it to him for all three of us! He travels all the time and so must have learned a lot of tricks. I guess it just goes to show it doesn't hurt to ask and maybe it is possible to up the standards of economy class.

12. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I have flown first class. It was courtesy of my father. I was flying home for Christmas after my freshman year in college. Getting a nice window seat, great food and attention was wonderful. I felt like a princess.

13. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have a fear of flying, and part of it is because of the fact that you are so crammed together when you don't fly first class. I have never actually purchased a first class ticket, but I do think that I would be able to cope with those seats a lot better, as they must be more comfortable, and you have the option of moving around much more easily. However, they do cost a lot of money, often running into the thousands, so the question is whether or not it would be worth it.

14. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, and honestly I don't think I'll ever book first class seats in my future travels. The perks first class offers do not matter to me that much so why pay more for something that I don't care about? Sure, if you need space or a little more quiet time to work when you travel, I understand. But for most of us people money spent this way is a waste in my opinion.

15. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    Yes i travel first class many times in train and its travel is much interesting and have worth in it because every tourist want to travel first time in train because every facilities are available in it..

16. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I never got the chance to fly first class. In fact they don't even offer it anymore from what I understand. The last time I flew was 11-21-2013. The best option was business select.

17. daren

darenMember

Threads:
    If you have enough budget for first class, then you must go for it. I also travelled throuh first class. during travel, i dont like noise. so first class is good fot those who dont want too much noise. service is also better in first class.

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I travel too often to be able to afford first class. But, naturally, if I received a special offer, I wouldn't say no to it. :)
    I would particularly enjoy first class on long flights, where it would enable me to stretch my legs more, and I could even lie down for nap. I always find it very difficult to sleep in an upright position, and appreciate any kind of space available where I can put myself horizontal and sleep for a while. As for special food and drinks, I really don't care all that much.