Types of Toothbrush

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by DrRipley • Aug 22, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never been picky when it comes to what toothbrush I use. Usually, I'd just use whatever was available and I don't even mind using the most basic types such as you'd see in a hotel. However, with so many different new features being introduced these days such as thinner bristles and flexible handles, I'm wondering if I should start paying more attention since new technology is there probably because of new findings, and if so, I'm not sure which ones are really important and which are just gimmicks.

How do you choose your toothbrush type and brand? Are you picky?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    In the past, I had not concerned myself too much with toothbrush quality but rather doing it regularly. That being said now that I have turned 40 (please insert pathetic weeping), I have become increasingly concerned with the rising cost of dental work and so any help in this area is welcomed. One thing that has become important to me is the size of my toothbrush head. In the past I have had oversized heads which hit the back of my mouth in a painful manner. Now I have a smaller head and I think it is reaching every part of my teeth. I don't like a bristle to be too soft or too hard so I usually choose medium. But the best tooth brushes are probably the ones approved by the ADA (American Dentist Association). We are also trying to make sure and switch them out every 6 months or when we are sick. (if you can believe it, at one point in my life I actually just boiled them!) They aren't so expensive that we can't just treat ourselves to a new one.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been tempted to get an electric toothbrush, but I prefer one I can replace and carry around without fear of the battery running out or the head being worn out. Also for traveling it is a bit heavier and I like to travel light. There are some with tongue scrapers which are actually useful and don't hurt. I have sensitive gums so I choose medium bristles over the tougher ones and buy multi-packs as I change them frequently as bacteria builds up.

4. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I'm the same.
    I never used to care about this, but I'm kind of paranoid when it comes to dental health though...
    Lately, I've noticed that the really cheap toothbrushes last very little time. So I've been thinking about upgrading my toothbrushes.
    I don't think I'd go with an electrical one, but there are lot's of different kinds of handles and heads.

5. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    If you follow these advertisements for toothbrushes these days, you would end up buying a different one every week. I use a toothbrush that has a big enough head and that is firm. I do not believe the type of toothbrush you use matter that much. What I believe is more important is how often you change them (I change mine every three months), how you brush your teeth, the type of toothpaste you use, and if you use mouthwash when you are done brushing.

6. smilemae

smilemaeNew Member

Threads:
    I presently work at a Dental Clinic for more than 6 years now. Soft bristle toothbrushes really matters. It is very helpful to avoid bleeding in the gums. Our Dentists usually suggest toothbrushes for babies. It is small enough to reach to the interior part of our teeth. But now that I am wearing braces, I use ortho brushes. It's a special kind of brush ideal for patients wearing braces. It's bristles are different from the ordinary toothbrush.

7. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've recently tried using an electric toothbrush and honestly wasn't impressed like I thought I would be. I like to try a variety of different brands to see which works best for me and I have found that Colgate brand the "extra clean" version really gets my teeth clean. And the medium works best for me.

8. ReDGuNNeR

ReDGuNNeRMember

Threads:
    I have experienced a much cleaner mouth/teeth/gumline after switching to an electronic toothbrush. Even if you have a good brushing technique a competent electric toothbrush will do a much, much better job at cleaning your teeth.

My sister works for a dentist so getting free toothbrushes and toothpaste is not an issue for me. She really tells me she notices a difference from people who use an electric toothbrush to those who brush regularly. This is not a joke, DON'T FORGET TO FLOSS! You'd be surprised how much gunk is lined between with your teeth, even after using a $500 golden toothbrush. The tongue scrapers are also an excellent purchase. Best of luck with your dental hygiene fellow Don't Pay Full-ers!

9. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I never really cared what brand of tothbrush I buy. I always use the medium one and every night of brushing, I do a combination of baking soda followed by regular toothpaste. During the day, I only use toothpaste alone. I got this habit from my grandma and even in the age of 90, she only has partial dentures. Unlike with my grandma on dad's side who is younger but already has full dentures.