Why do you think some people are more successful at work than others?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by True2marie • Aug 23, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    In my teens and twenties, I believed hard work was the key to a successful career. However, as I got into my thirties, I began to realize it's not always a component. Hiring on to a company at the right time and befriending the right people really helps. It also depends on who your boss is.

In my last job, my boss had a reputation of fighting for her people to advance. So, almost everyone on my team (including me) got promoted. Some people didn't like her personality, but they were glad to be under her for the mere fact they could get ahead in the company.

2. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I believe that having a good boss or employer can really help a lot in your career advancement. I also use to think that way when I was still in the corporate world. But after my retirement, I can say that your success primarily depends on you (not on other people) and you still need to work hard and work smart. It also depends on your definition of what success is to you. :)

3. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Well you can work hard as long as you like but it won't guarantee you anything. You have to work smart not hard. If you're planning on making it big you have to consider the fact that there are people better than you in so many different ways and working hard will not really make you better than them. Why would you push a wall to take it down and walk over it when you can just climb over and get to the other side right?

As for the connections, yes it's very important. Also, you have to take into consideration that you have to a likable person in general. Nobody would want to promote someone that is grumpy and unable to socialize. That's one thing I've learned in the real world, no matter how great your portfolio is or how smart you are and you don't know how to properly communicate with others, you won't get too far in life.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that getting ahead at work is a combination of having a good personality and people skills, having a good work ethic and having a lot of drive and ambition.
    I've never been promoted at any job because I'm a hippie artist type and I've never had a passion for office work. I'm not cut out to sit behind a desk.

5. Kendra70422

Kendra70422New Member

Threads:
    I believe some people are more successful at work than others because they have had recent or past experience in the field that they are clamoring. If they have done the work before this gives them a little information under their belt as well as tips on how to cope with the job and this leads them to better or higher success. Another reason someone could be better than another at a job is if they are just simply good workers. There have been many times where I have seen some workers that are lazy and don't tend to get along with their employers, then I have seen their competition rising above them and getting every task done assigned by their employers so it also depends on the individuals diversity.

6. Betsyake

BetsyakeMember

Threads:
    Although the work is not your taste, you still like to work here where all are in harmony, I think.