How to Preserve Flowers?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by giftblooms • Aug 23, 2014.

1. giftblooms

giftbloomsNew Member

Threads:
    We are always gifted flowers by some or the other guest. Looking at those beautiful flowers we never feel like to throw them away. It is very hurtful to see the flowers falling down after one or two days, especially when received from a special person for a very special reason. Thus, now you have a better solution to preserve the flowers for a little longer time. How? Have a look below-

1). Cut Off The Stem Of The Flower Periodically

2). Keep Changing The Vase Water Frequently

3). Separate The Floral Preventing Packing Of The Flower

4). Always Cut The Flowers By Holding It Under Fresh Water

5). Use Only Hand Picked Flowers

2. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    Those are good suggestions. I actually did a science fair project in fifth grade about how to keep cut flowers alive longer. I had a series of carnations, roses, and daisies, and I had one of each type of flower in a variety of different substances. I think I tried plain water, flower preservation powder (like what comes with the flowers), sprite, aspirin, and probably one other thing. It turned out that pretty much anything you add to the water will help the flowers last longer. They just need some form of nutrients. If you have the flower food packet that comes with the flowers, that works best. If not, you just need something that will give the plants energy. Something with sugar will work well.

3. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I got some flowers a few months ago and I followed the directions to preserve them and for some reason it didn't work all that well, and within a week those things were all withered and pitiful lol. That's really never happened when I've gotten flowers flowers before. Your directions sound good, and wish I had tried a few months ago.

4. rgrimes

rgrimesNew Member

Threads:
    How about actually filling the vase with nutrient rich soil, then frequently watering it? Or you can do the opposite. I have never tried this so don't take my word for it!

5. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    If you have been given lots of flowers or you just harvested many blossoms from your garden, you may also consider drying the flowers. This craft will guarantee that you can be able to display the flowers for a longer time. Roses, carnations, and lavenders are my favorite flowers to dry. On seasons when these no longer bloom, you can still have a dried flower bouquet which would look nice as a centerpiece or placed on the corner table tops.
    56996_max.

The step by step instructions are shown

6. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Just to add to the think tank: Pressing flowers is also a nice way of preserving them. However, it is best to press them at the height of their color so for some, they might not want to get rid of them that quickly. It is easier to choose flowers that have flat petals, but if you want to choose something like a Tulip petal, then all you would need to do is separate the petal from the stem and flatten them individually. Wait for the flower to be completely dry and then flatten with a flower press (two pieces of wood screwed together), or an old book (then stack a bunch of books on top of them to press down). It is best to put the flower between some sort of paper that will absorb the moisture. Much like a cheese press: you need to change out the paper every couple days. After a few weeks your flowers will be ready! You can use tweezers to remove them and use for framing or other craft ideas.