Unlimited data plans

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by SevenWays • Aug 24, 2014.

1. SevenWays

SevenWaysNew Member

Threads:
    Do you have a limited or unlimited data plan connection? I heard that unlimited data plans were becoming hard to find in the US.
    I have always had an unlimited plan and I think I wouldn't know what to do if I hadn't. It's so very comfortable to never have to worry about limits, I'll gladly pay a little more just for that weight off my mind. I think unlimited is always preferable for those who work on the Internet or spend much of their day online. What are some upsides about The Limited data plans? Never had experience of them so I can't think of any.

Also, what unlimited data plan do you suggest? Best deals for that?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Limited data plans don't have a lot of upsides. Maybe they're only good for those people who spend very little time on the net. Let's take the example of someone who works 8 hours a day in some office then goes out with friends at night. That person won't have much use for an unlimited data plan at home. To save cash s/he'll opt for a limited data plan so that they can occasionally check their emails or post something on social media.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The main issue with MOST unlimited data plans is that you'll get throttled down to snail speeds if you use more data than the company wants you to. Wireless companies lose a lot of money on unlimited customers compared to those paying for limited plans. This doesn't count for companies like Sprint that still offer unlimited data, which they claim to not throttle. Sprint's unlimited isn't too bad, although their 4G connections are lackluster in most cities. If you want to save money, then you should cling to your unlimited plan, especially if it's grandfathered in. I'm okay paying for limited data and I realize that I'm paying a lot more than the data is actually worth. My bill isn't outrageous, though.

4. SevenWays

SevenWaysNew Member

Threads:
    Oh is that a common practice? I had no idea. Perhaps I'm lucky but my ISP seems to never throttle down my speed, and I'm pretty sure I'm using more data than the vast majority of other customers.
    I already decided to cling to my old unlimited clause, but from experience grandfather clauses can be disregarded by companies without too many consequences. It already happened to my mobile traffic plan, which I knew was grandfathered in until the price doubled.

Denis, you're right, that's indeed a case where one could prefer a limited data plan. If you're rarely on the Internet, you're not a gamer, nor you download much.

5. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    Yeah that's what they don't want you to know. You will have great internet for the amount allotted to what you pay but then once you get past that you'll still have data, but it will be very very slow data. Virgin Mobile plans actually tell you that right in their contract.

6. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    I'm on an unlimited data plan with AT&T (grandfathered in on the original iPhone plan) and I usually get a message from them on the last 1-2 days of the month telling me I have exceeded the preferred data limit and I may experience reduced speeds. In all honesty, I've never really noticed it being slower than it was earlier in the month. I do have my eyes open for a better data plan because my husband and I are both still on our parents' family plans just to avoid losing that data plan. We'd love to move over to our own plan, but it just doesn't make sense right now.

7. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Bottom line, If you're a gamer and or your phone's internet like a home computer, you'll never have the joy of not being throttled. I'm currently with Boost Mobile and I've only been throttled once and that's when my main home internet was off. If you have internet service at home for gaming & watching movies, you'll should never exceed your data limit.

8. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    You assume that people are only using their phones at home. I use mine for internet browsing at work because I don't really like the idea of my company being able to track everything I do online (there have been layoffs in the past when the economy wasn't good). I also don't use the company's wireless network for the same reason. (To be fair, the wireless at work is also pretty terrible so a lot of people don't use it.) That's where most of my data gets used, because I surf the internet and watch videos during lunch, and my email is constantly updating.

9. Zikkled

ZikkledNew Member

Threads:
    I don't think an unlimited data plan is worth it, but that's because I have no qualms with using other wireless connections, going as far as guessing passwords so I can get connected, sometimes. Not to mention I don't actually use the internet on a mobile device all that much.

10. iam911

iam911Member

Threads:
    I have an unlimited plan, but it gets throttled after 1 gig of usage so not really unlimited. After the throttle, the internet is really slow and pretty much unusable. Since I have just moved too, a lot of places that I go to barely have 4G, but I have it at my work place and my apartment. It's nice for when I am using the bathroom with nothing to do. Depending on how often you actually use data on your phone, I would say to try and find a limited plan that is right for you. I don't think my company offers a limited plan, which is why I have the unlimited, but it is not exactly an unlimited plan. Try to monitor your usage rate everyday for a month and see what kinds of results you get.

11. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I am currently with Straight Talk and they claim to have unlimited data when it is only 3GB of fast speed and the rest of the month your internet is really slow, like dial up slow. I have heard that Metro PCS has truly unlimited data but I am not sure if that is true or not. I plan on trying it out when ever they get good enough service where I live at. I use to be with AT&T but they were just to expensive for me.

12. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    And my home internet just went out.... It seems to be a widespread issue, so not just me. This is a time when I'm really glad to have an unlimited data plan because I can just switch to my phone without worrying too much. Is it a bad sign if I can't eat breakfast without internet access?;)

13. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I currently live between two properties, and both of them have internet so I don't have to use my data plan when I am at home. I also don't have to use very much when I am out and about, so a data plan of 2GB per month is enough for me. It is not worth me paying the extra to get unlimited for something that I would not use. However I understand that if you do not have internet at home, you might use a lot of it, and it would cost you lots of money if you were constantly going over your data allowance, so having an unlimited one would be of clear benefit here.

14. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    I just switched over to unlimited. It's better since I was going over every other month. Especially when I got in a bind and had to use my cell as a wifi hotspot. It took my bill down like 10 bucks or so a month. Worth every penny.