How far in advance do you plan Christmas?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by GemmaRowlands • Aug 25, 2014.

1. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I am the type of person who is perfectly happy to buy things in the January sales for the Christmas after. A few years ago, I bought a large number of Christmas cards and wrapping paper, and I am happy to report that I have not had to buy any since, because I got so much of it. I do it because the shops are trying to get rid of their old stock, and because of this, they will often offer it at a very low price. For this reason, I know that I will get a bargain, and I will often stock up on things as long as I know I have the space to do so.

What about you? How far in advance will you plan things? Have you ever done the same thing as me and bought things that you knew were going to last you for a number of years?

2. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    No I've never done anything like that except for gift envelopes for cash but it's the generic kind that applies to all occasions. I always have a cash envelope available in my supplies bin. :)

When it comes to Christmas though, I like to start buying gifts in September (start of the "BER" months). I don't like to shop for gifts during the last minute and this is true for all occasions - Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. :D

3. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    If I am on my game, Christmas plans begin in October. That's the month I start to buy gifts. Eeking out extra money over 60 days is less stressful. It's even better if you have a list. Also, you get a chance to make a few goodies and save a few pennies.

4. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:

My birthday is in September, so although I do shop in the January sales, I won't do any actual Christmas shopping for that year until October. So I suppose I'm not as bad as I made out. And I will ALWAYS make a list, because if you don't, you'll find that you simply end up buying a lot of things that you don't really need, or some people will have double the gifts that they need and it is simply a waste of money. I have promised myself that I will have a budget this year, and I am absolutely determined that I am going to stick to that.

5. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends. Christmas is my favorite holiday so I think about it year round. If I see a gift or something I would like for the holiday I tend to snap it up out of fear it won't be there later on. I like to start decorating the week after Thanksgiving, the buying doesn't have a set date because it really depends on what I see or the types of gifts I want to get--but I do like to have all of my shopping finished by the 21st or 22nd of December.

6. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    Well normally I don't start doing anything yet. Usually I wait until early November before I start doing. Partly because there are some good sales on at about that time. Also I generally don't start to feel in the Christmas spirit until closer to Christmas. I have friends who have already started planning their Christmas decorations and what they will need.

7. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I'm planning now for Christmas. Wal-Mart just started their Christmas layaway so I'm gathering my kids lists now. I plan on getting them 3 bigger presents then 6-7 smaller scale presents. Having three kids to buy for you must start early.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Because there are a lot of things to do during Christmas and a lot of things to practice, as early as August, I am already preparing myself for Christmas like practicing my music that I will perform and shaping up my body because as we all know this holiday is when we get quite big. I exercise and go on intensive diet. I also shop as early as this time for the gifts and for the goods. But I actually do for the whole year. Whenever there's a sale, I always grab that opportunity.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Usually around now is when I start on Christmas, after all our major birthdays are out of the way for the year. Now it's onto holidays, so I'm planning Thanksgiving but also starting to pick up things here and there for Christmas as well. I've picked up a couple small things, but not much so far. Need to start on decorations soon if I'm going to make any this year.

10. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    As I rarely have hundreds of dollars at one time to do bulk shopping -- I often start at the beginning of the year and work my way through. I find that I also save money this way but I also purchase more. I get to shop the sales throughout the year and find some really interesting things. Don't get me wrong I love going black Friday shopping -- but I only spend a little bit that day. I can't afford to go crazy because it will totally mess with the family budget. It's just more financially responsible for me to shop through the year and put things away for the holidays than to binge shop at the last minute -- especially considering prices are typically higher on popular items during the end of the year anyway.