Better Bed, Better Sleep

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by allswl • Aug 25, 2014.

1. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    A friend of mine recently told me that the quality of sleep I get at nights is directly related in part to the kind of bed I sleep on. I have a foam based mattress and there are days I sleep well and other days when I do not. I have heard that spring mattresses are bad for you especially regarding sleep. So my question is, when looking for a new mattress to buy what do you look for?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I look for a good bed, not necessarily an expensive bed. Walmart sells mattresses that are a foam/spring hybrid and very affordable. My daughter and I sleep better on those than on an expensive bed that I bought years ago.

3. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I have had problems sleeping on spring matress. We found the best solution by buying a foam mattress and putting it flat on the floor. Makes the night action far more interesting as well, if you know what I mean.

4. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I need a new bed. It's going to be my Christmas present for 2014. I just haven't decided on the kind yet. What I can say is that resting on a worn bed has a lot of draw backs one being you don't wake up feeling as refreshed and your body hurts. So, I am hoping to cure a few ills by getting a new bed for myself.

5. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I think a good quality bed most definitely impacts how well you sleep. I have a mid range mattress but one of my big planned purchases is to buy a really well made king size mattress. I have slept on crappy beds at hotels and wake up feeling not rested but when I get back home and sleep I wake up feeling much better. I have friends who couldn't afford a better or new mattress and they bought those foam toppers that are usually about $100-$200 and apparently they're a great cheap fix.

6. ssequoyah

ssequoyahNew Member

Threads:
    I think that no matter what you're buying, you should look at reviews online. You can find out what the owners said, and go with something highly rated and worth the money. I prefer memory foam, as it's extremely comfortable and very pliable for your preferred sleeping position.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you can't buy a new mattress or still find it difficult to sleep on, I find a good quality mattress topper works. My guest have all found the mattress topper so comfortable and made difference to their sleep. I also prefer to buy good quality pillowcases as your face is on it for eight hours a day and makes sleeping more of a luxury and pleasure.

A thick mattress topper is cheaper and is also good for winter to make the bed warmer.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have a spring bed and I find it to be satisfactory if not more. I agree that the quality of bed does have an effect on your sleep though. I've found that my sleep is very good when I stay in hotels where the beds are of the more expensive kind. Although even then not all of them are to my liking since I still have preferences that go beyond price.

9. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I have also been looking into this lately...
    I'm a person who usually has a hard time sleeping. Just a little thing can totally disrupt my sleeping hours.
    I'm also sleeping in the same crappy mattress where I've been sleeping for years now.
    Sadly, mattresses can be quite expensive, and I'm hoping to change houses before I change mattresses.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy that theory about better beds getting you better sleep. I've slept on all kinds of beds and haven't noticed much difference [as far as sleeping better is concerned]. Maybe it's because I got insomnia. The only time I ever slept well was when I used to do a lot of work outdoors [almost the whole day] and the fatigue would force my mind to switch off at night so I could some rest.

11. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually use beds that are made of cotton. These are not the ones that are available in the market but are made on special requests to the bed makers. I think it is completely easy to fall asleep on the cotton bed. I had used foam beds for some time, but it had been very uncomfortable as it can lead to back pains by morning. Cotton beds are very flexible and great for your body.
    Also, I believe that your quality of sleep depends on how hard you work the entire day and your state of mind. There were times, when I do not mind sleeping even on the floor and was capable to get instant sleep as I was dead tired from the entire day's work.

12. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    I'm of the belief you're better off hitting the mattress story and feeling everything out. Some things look good on paper or claim to have greater health benefits, but nothing beats going in and trying it out yourself.
    All you really need to ask yourself is price range and whether you want a firm or softer mattress. From there, go with what feels right.

Surprisingly, I just grabbed a $200 foam mattress from Walmart and its been amazingly good.

13. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I use to have beds like that before and it really doesn't have any effect on my sleep but when I switched to a water bed I felt great and I feel a lot more relaxed compared to when I'm still using that spring bed.

14. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I realized that before. I can't sleep well on spring beds and if I do it's either I'm too groggy or cranky when I wake up. Also it gives me backaches. Also the pillow plays a huge part on getting some awesome sleep.

15. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Seven years ago I invested in a Sealy mattress that cost me around $1400 at the time. I have never slept better in my life. It might sound ridiculous, but I regard my mattress as one of my "best friends", someone I can always trust and rely on. :)
    My mattress has square springs and is cushioned in between every single spring. It supports my entire spine while I sleep and doesn' put any strain on pressure points.
    Also, the firmness of a mattress plays a vital role in the quality of your sleep. I would recommend you go to a quality mattress centre and ask for some expert advice and test some mattresses before you decide what kind of bed is the best for you, as everyone has different requirements.