Fixing Leaking Pipes...

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Colebra • Aug 26, 2014.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I have quite a big problem in my house right now:

There's a leaking pipe somewhere around the water heater.
    At this point, I have a bucket below the spot where the water is falling, but it get's filled every day...

Does anybody have experience with fixing this type of stuff?
    Do you ever just go with tape?

Thanks people!

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a professional but I had a similar problem a few months back. What I learned: you can either use special water proof tape to wrap around the leaking pipe or stop the water and try fixing the leakage by replacing the rubber elements. How complicated the solution is depends on the spot from where water is coming out. If that spot is along the pipe (the pipe is cracked) you have to get a pipe replacement. If that spot is where two pipes meet you can try replacing the rubber elements I mentioned.

Anyway, it's important to get it fixed. Until I got my problem fixed the price of the extra water I lost exceeded the price I payed for a fix.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I would call a professional too, but if you want to attempt seeing what the problem is first I would make sure to turn off your electricity. Then make sure it is really leaking and not just condensation; this can happen when cold water enters the tank. There is a temperature pressure valve at the top of the 'tank type' heater (that's what we have) and you can try to tighten it. Some people try turning down the thermostat to see if that helps relieve pressure. IF there is a lot of rust the entire tank might need to be replaced. Ask your plumber if it would be cheaper if you purchased the tank yourself and had him install it.