What Is The Stupidest Thing You've Ever Regretted Buying?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by ACSAPA • Aug 26, 2014.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes we buy things on impulse or because we don't know that there are better deals out there. Do you have a stupid purchase that you regret making because it was a waste of money?
    Once I ordered a $1,200 queen sized mattress and box spring, because I was young and stupid and had never bought a brand new bed for myself before. Now that I'm older, I realize that you can walk into Walmart and get 2 or 3 complete beds for that amount of money.

What about you guys? Have you ever bought something dumb or overpaid for something out of inexperience?

2. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Good question, I think I have too many to list. Generally my biggest regrets are extremely expensive dinners. I mean I like the experience but at the end of the day it's just food. When it comes to purchases of things I don't stress as much because I figure I can always return it.

3. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I 100% completely agree with this. lol I don't know how many times I've thought "where did my money go?!" Only to remember I went to McDonalds and Burger King and all over everywhere. Ridiculous.

4. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Hanging in my closet is a $120 dollars dress that I got to wear for a wedding and never again. I regret getting it because originally I didn't want to, I was going the get a cheaper one. But my family insisted that the wedding was formal because it was in a hotel. Turns out a lot of people where wearing more of a semi formal or smart casual type outfits. My mom, dad and I ended up overdressing a little bit. If I'd had gotten a simpler dress I would have worn it again at least.

On the other hand I tend to be very practical with my purchases so I haven't made many I regret, but my partner is the complete opposite. He's got so much things that he doesn't use, like a bunch of tools and electronics.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's difficult to think. I'm not a big fan of spending money anyway. I guess the stupidest would be Puss in Boots for the PS3. It's not that bad of a game but I probably would have been able to get it for cheaper. It's ridiculous spending 30 or 40 dollars when I finished the whole game in a short amount of time and it is hard to sell for much later.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The stupidest purchase I've ever made is software which I paid $30 for. It sounds like a pretty small amount right? But here's the thing:

I had been ripped off. The software could be downloaded free from the developer's site. Some middle man had decided to make cash off the free software and I'd fallen for that because I didn't spend some time comparing prices. Had I done that, I'd have got the software free.

7. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    My printer. I bought the most expensive possible product I could find, for God know what reason. It has so many options that I haven't even found them all out. It can probably bake, but I don't know that.

And I use it for printing a black-and-white document once a week or so.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Well aside from hard drugs, lol...

One time I ordered a customized laptop from Dell that I didn't really need, but for some reason I felt I needed it. This was like 10+ years ago fresh out of college, when I was doing freelance work in addition to my day job, so I set up a room in my place as my "office" and was all set to try and start up my own business. I was ready to write off all of these expenses during tax time, and I assumed I would get enough work over the following year to pay it all off.

The big stupid mistake I made when placing the order was to not pay attention to the resolution of the screen. So I basically took a mid-range system, and chose a whole slew of upgrade options, like a beefed up dedicated video card, extra memory and all that jazz, but didn't realize the screen itself couldn't go any higher than 1024 x 768 resolution. So what I got was a computer that was more or less useless to me and I couldn't return it either, and I owed an arm and a leg on it, plus I financed it through Dell's credit program which has exorbitant interest charges. I couldn't even get any work done in Photoshop or Dreamweaver on it because the screen was so cramped. Plus it weighed a ton because of all the add-ons I included with it.

Another dumb purchase was the Cuisinart rotisserie oven. Not only was this a total impulse buy one evening when I had been drinking, but I actually ordered the stupid thing online and spent like another $40 on shipping for it because it weighed so much and was so big. The appliance itself was so poorly designed, I ended up junking it shortly after. It wasn't cheap either, at $250. It could barely fit a 6 lb chicken, despite the overall device itself being really big and bulky. It was a vertical roaster, which I later discovered sucks because all the juices drop to one end of the chicken, leaving the other end to dry out. It came with some other attachments to cook kebabs, but those were a joke too because everything would slide off of them while cooking. It also came with grill grates for stuff like steaks or hamburgers, but who in the hell wants to wait 45 minutes to an hour for a burger or steak to slow cook in a rotisserie oven? To make matters even worse, the tray at the bottom to catch the fat was too shallow, so a typical chicken would cause it to overflow on your counter. And the reflector plate in the back was impossible to keep clean. Even after my first roasted chicken, the plate was caked with dark brown burnt grease stuck to it that would not come off at all.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I regret buying this smartphone online because it only lasted for 8 months despite it being brand new, and the motherboard was the faulty part, so I have no luck finding one, motherboards are hard to find unless you go to specific places that sell them which is far from where I live. So now it's just stuck at home gathering dust in my drawer.

10. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Oh I do have a lot of these stupid purchases but on in particular took the cake for me. It was a laptop table and cooler combo. It was pretty cool I mean, it's a portable laptop table that has legs and had a fan to cool the laptop AND a cup holder. It was pretty cheap but and I thought it would come in handy for me, turns out it was crap so it went in my closet of regrets and unused things. That's $15 down the drain.