Do you insure your pets?

Discussion in Pets started by PhilA • Aug 26, 2014.

1. PhilA

PhilAMember

Threads:
    We all know that insurance is a no win game, right? I have two cats and one dog. Insuring all three of my pets could cost me the best part of £100 a month (160$) and I am wondering if it is worth it. Obviously I am aware that it is a gamble, for some people it would pay off, for others that are unlucky it could cost a fortune in vets bills.

But what do you think, and do you insure your pets?

2. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have never thought about insuring my pets. The idea is quite logical as the medical expenses are rising day by day, however, the cost of insuring pets is just too much. I do not think I can afford it in the near future. However, once I start earning quite a decent income, I would definitely do it. It would be a relief once your pets are insured as most of their health problems can be tackled using the insurance. I would love to do it as soon as possible.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Insuring a pet is advisable most of the time. If a pet is part of the family, it should be treated like a family member and if insuring it makes the pet owner feel better then they should go for it.

Most of the time though, most of the bad things we're scared will happen to our pets don't happen. Which makes all that money spent on insurance . . . wasted money. Insure your pet only if you're sure something will happen to it, otherwise I'd rely on feeding the pet well, getting it some vaccinations once in a while and everything will be alright.

4. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I probably should think about insuring my pets but luckily they haven't had any major medical issues. I brush their teeth every day so I don't have to deal with 800 dollar teeth cleaning appointments, ( what I hear it costs which is ridiculous). I have care credit a medical credit card and use that for the pets which I fortunately only have to use twice a year when I take them for their yearly checkups.

5. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I don't understand the need nor the desire to insure my pets. What good would insurance do? What is it for? To me, that seems like a waste of money. My pets don't need any monthly medical care. Do other animals need this?

6. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    How much does pet insurance typically cover? I know my family dog growing up broke toes pretty often running around with other dogs, so she would have been a prime candidate. She also had a couple surgeries due to a minor car accident as a puppy (the night before they were supposed to measure for the invisible fence :rolleyes:) and a torn ACL. My husband and I don't have any pets yet, but we do plan to get a dog at some point. (He wants cats as well, but I'm allergic.) Pet insurance is something I've thought about, but I haven't really looked into it since we don't need to make that decision yet.

7. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    No because the plans that I have available only cover accident related vet costs, or replacement of the pet if it where to die on an accident. So it would not cover any routine visit or any illness or condition. My cats aren't worth any money, they are worthless and at the same time priceless. I could get another cat for free or cheap adoption fees but it would never replace one I lost, they are all unique. I don't think it's worth the money to insure them for the slim chance that an accident would happen and the insurance would cover the vet fees. I'd rather save that money so I can pay for vaccines and vet treatment when they need it.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been thinking of getting an insurance for my dog, I made some quotes in two or three companies to see which one is worth it. Turns out the only one I would think would be worth it is the absolute more expensive one, because they cover a lot, even exams and cardiologists. My dog is a Cavalier, which is a breed that is known for having your neuro and cardiac problems, so I think when my dog gets a little older I will most likely ensure him to make sure that I won't spend a crazy amount of money... But he still one year old, so I might wait to pay for that much before I strictly have to.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    At the very least, you should be putting that money aside for an emergency fund for your pets if something happened to one of them. We had a lot of issues with our Beagle during her last years, and ended up spending well over seven thousand dollars in vet bills with her. We didn't have insurance for her, so my family members and myself all had to chip in. Those rates you are being quoted though sound really high, you should be able to find them for much lower than that. I would check around on some of the comparison shopping sites.

The other thing to keep in mind is that pet insurance doesn't cover if your dog bites someone, that is under your home insurance policy. And if you don't have that coverage, it can ruin you financially in the event of your pet hurting someone else. I've heard of cases where someone's dog attacked another person's kid, and they got sued for over $350,000 in medical bills, due to all the reconstructive surgery needed for the kids face.

If you go with a higher deductible, and just put money aside to pay that deductible, they will likely offer you a lower monthly rate.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No I don't insure my pets, because I always assume that most won't have a budget-draining and chronic disease, which is usually the case, like most of our pets live long lives, but some died due to sickness too. But realistically, I can't afford it, so it's not even an option for me.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it is a good idea but probably not entirely necessary. Many pets have lived and died before without the existence of pet insurance, but since we do have it now as a luxury then I say it would be alright to buy it if you have the spare budget for it. My family has had many pets before and none of them were insured and somehow they all turned out fine.