What do you do with garden waste?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by GemmaRowlands • Aug 27, 2014.

1. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    In my area, we have green bins where we should put waste from the garden. However, I have just bought a compost bin because I realised that I could save money in the long term from doing this. I usually spend £12 per year on compost at the beginning of Spring, and the bin was only £30, so this means that I could make all of my money back in three years. And the best thing about it is, because I don't have to carry the waste through The House to the green bin, there is less mess and less effort involved, so this is good news all around! What about you? How do you deal with the waste that you produce from your garden?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Same as you. Use it a compost material. Unlike those who live in places where there isn't much space, here there's so much land that almost everyone has a compost pit at one end of their farms/gardens. Any garden waste + kitchen waste and anything else that can decompose goes into the compost pit. The stench can be overwhelming [near the pit] but since it isn't too near the house, all you look forward to is when you'll use the manure and save the cash you'd have spent buying chemical fertilizers.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Here we don't have special bins or designated spots to throw the garden waste away so we end up putting everything in one isolated corner of the garden where it will turn into compost. Along the way we just mix it up with a pitchfork to speed the decomposition process. Good way to cheaply fertilize the garden, a bit smelly tho', but ok as long as the neighbors don't complain.