Where To Get Second Hand Items?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by Denis Hard • Aug 29, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You don't have to buy new furniture and anything else your office needs. If you can find used 'gently' used furniture which you can touch up a little with a layer of varnish or something like that, it would look as good as new but cost a lot less.

Since office equipment can cost quite a fortune when you are starting out, are there places where you can buy virtually everything you need that's in a good condition? Would sites such as Craiglist be a good place to find great deals?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Shopping online on Craiglist or similar sites is a great way to score old furniture, cheap and still looking good! A friend of mine just recently bought a wooden wardrobe in excellent condition. For slightly damaged furniture items, using varnish (like you mentioned), is a great way to bring new life/looks, and it's pretty easy to do - there are plenty of tutorials on Youtube that teach how it's done. Used furniture stores are another great place to search or even the flea market.

3. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I dont know it the items at Dirt cheap is consider second hand but I buy most of my items from there and other than that I buy lots of thing from eBay. I try to shop for bargains all the time. My furniture I get it at Renter Center sometimes I get good deals on item that have been returned.

4. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I get second hand stuff from garage sales. Where I am from, garage sales go on every weekend and it's mainly rich people having them. I get expensive and very nice stuff very cheap. I also look on Craigslist because there are people that give things away. I know this poor family that went to the Salvation Army and got everything to furnish their house. Surprisingly, all of the stuff they got looked new. The owners took really good care of it.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Craigslist is good for used items, but keep in mind that you can't be too picky. You sort of have to just take what you can get with Craigslist.

Check Ebay for "local" listings, too. You can sometimes find good ones that you can pick up locally instead of paying for shipping.

Also, Freecycle is really popular in some areas.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes offices just throw things out. There's an office in a strip mall near me where they throw out things from time to time. I one got two filing cabinets from there. Recently they threw out a computer desk and an office chair but I left them because I already have those things. It doesn't hurt to look on the curb or near dumpsters when you're out and about.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Goodwill stores are good for furniture or the local website. When my landlady moved out she put her things on the web, so people could come and collect as it was cheaper than paying someone to dispose of them. Freecycle or yard sales too, if someone is having a yard sale they usually have large items to get rid of too so is worth contacting them beforehand. Mt friend gave a lot of her furniture to goodwill, they have depots where they collect them and restore them before putting them out in the stores.

8. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I've found lately people have been moving towards Facebook groups instead of the traditional classified pages like Craigslist. My area has some groups exclusive to different types of items and some general ones. There are some groups of people giving away stuff that you could take an fix. Try searching things like "Classifieds ____ (your city, state, area or whatever)" and see what comes up.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There are shops out there that specialize for second-hand items, depending on the items. But you could have it best from your friends, relatives and friends of friends or to someone you just know. If they have something that they are selling and you have and affection to it, then you could buy it whatever it is. But of course, this doesn't always simply work, because buying personally, all the items that you are looking for might not be available, as they are not selling it. If this is the case, then you could to online. Find it online. Sure and item that you are looking, whichever it is, is always present being sold from someone or from somewhere that could even be shifted to you, second-hand or brand new.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my local area we have a store that takes the items from large hotels when they are updating their units and sales them at a good price. We have gotten some really nice pieces for the home from that store. I like getting good things on the curbs when people are moving and just want to get rid of the piece of furniture. The Goodwill has been a good place also to find good used things.

11. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Yard sales and curb side freebies are where to get great condition items for almost nothing to free. Alot of people post online on Facebook trade and sell groups what they have to sell, trade or give away. I would suggest that option first then I'd say Freecycle second. If nothing, I'd suggest Craigslist, eBay or whatever else that has used items in good condition.

12. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    Look for estate sales and moving sales. Sometimes they have great office furniture and equipment especially if the owners of the house ran a business from their home. Also, look for businesses that are closing and are selling everything. They will usually sell their office furniture and equipment for great prices.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think ebay is still the best place to get second hand items because you could at least rely on their feedback system. Sites like Craigslist are good too but I'd only check those places if I were looking for something specially cheap. I know there are pricey second hand items there a well but if I'm going to new paying a lot then I'd much rather have the security of sites like ebay.

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Freecycle (local). Also, yard sales, garage sales, thrift stores, second hand furniture stores, etc. While many thrift stores don't carry large pieces of furniture, you can often find smaller pieces such as desks, chairs, file cabinets, and shelves. I've actually seen some nice pieces for as little as $5. I need to start shopping for a new desk after the holidays, so I'll be on the look out as well.

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    eBay is a better option but you can also give Craigslist a shot - at your own risk. There's something more formal and trustworthy about eBay transactions. With Craigslist, you have to carefully filter the people you'll be dealing with lest you run the risk of getting an item that doesn't meet your expectations.