Do you take breaks when you're in front of the computer?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by deathbyprayer • Aug 29, 2014.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I spend 5 hours every day in the computer doing my work. I don't usually stay more than that in front of the computer since my eyes and head aches so much when I exceed 7 hours. It usually helps when I take breaks every hour but still, I can't last more than 5 hours. Do you take breaks when you're working in front of your computer or do you just go for it all in one sitting?

2. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have ADHD so it is important that I take regularly breaks or I'll be wasting time not doing work anyway. I take a break every hour that I'm at the laptop, after that I find my mind drifting from the task and I start looking up weird diseases on Wikipedia!!

3. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    When I worked in data entry before becoming a SAHM, we were required to take a break from the computer every hour. Five minute break the first hour, 10 minute break, 5 minute, lunch, 5 minute, 10 minute, 5 minute. They wanted us to take these breaks in order to give our eyes and our body a rest. I would usually get up and walk around the floor or get a drink of water. I figure it should be no different while working at home...it is still a computer and it is still just as rough on my eyes. I try to get up every hour and walk around or just play with my son. Of course, that's if he actually lets me sit down for an hour to get any work done. :)

4. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I usually take at lease a five to ten minute break every two to three hours of being on my computer. This makes it where my eyes and head do not hurt. If I am on a computer at least three hours straight, it makes me sleepy and I have a major headache. I work from home so I am required to be in front of my computer all day in order to make money.

5. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    House chores serve as breaks for me since I also work from home. Cooking, cleaning, and laundry are some of the 'break chore' that takes me away from my computer. This is working well for me. Not to mention I home school my kids. It's usually after dinner where I get to spend 3-4 straight hours on the computer.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never thought of taking breaks when I'm on the computer. I usually get on the net because I spend most of my free time on the net. Taking a break? If I spent too much time in front of the computer, say five or more hours, I'd probably think about taking a break but since the time I spend on the net is less than four hours, I don't take any breaks.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Breaks are essential for your eyes, back, sanity and your wrists. I sometimes get carried away to a point where my wrist hurts that I can't scroll or make too many mistakes. Our attention span decreases after a few hours, so it is always good to stop for a drink and to refresh your perception. It's not a bad idea to let the computer rest too!

8. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    Yeah, but I don't do that intentionally haha. I just randomly stand up, walk around the house/yard, or go to the fridge or anything. I guess I just get bored from staring at the same screen for hours, no matter how entertaining the content on it is.

But I have to admit that there were times when I sat for way too long. It usually happens when I really get into some game / series.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I do, I stand up and I either walk a bit or I lie or sit down for a while away from the pc to rest my eyes and back. Sometimes when I'm already sleepy I even leave the pc on and take a short nap like 2 or 3 hours max then I return to what I'm doing.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sometimes need to work up to eight hours or more on my computer. I take regular breaks every hour to stretch, walk around and eat in peace. Sometimes I leave a couple of hours before I continue. There have been times in the past when I overdid it and paid with insomnia and a feeling of being disorientated. When that happened, it always took me a day or more to regain my balance again, so I am very careful these days.

11. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    It's very important to take breaks when working in sedentary atmospheres. I work from home 2-4 hours and I usually work as long as I can without feeling mentally fatigued. Usually after about 2 hours I break for a snack, stretch and just move around. Sometimes it helps to go make runs to come back fresh again. Another that's important when working in front of computers is getting plenty of rest. Computer work can be very stressful and due to the mental labor, it's great to be well rested. If I decide to have a sip of wine or beer while working from home. I get very lazy. LOL!

12. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    If you don't want to go insane you have to take a break. I work online almost 5-8 hours everyday and a quarter of those hours I spend on breaks, drinking coffee, walking outside for a few minutes. Even if you think that you're being easy on yourself and you should work more hours, you still need to relax even if it's a few minutes each hour.

13. Serenity Fay

Serenity FayMember

Threads:
    The closest thing to a break I take is running to the kitchen to get something to eat. Otherwise, for example I stop to watch a youtube video or do something different. It's still on the computer though so I feel it doesn't really count XD Sometimes I am forced to take a break though if my eyes start to hurt or I get really tired all of a sudden.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I take several breaks! I already work 8 hours a day at a company in front of the computer, so I take breaks all the time. I'll either go have some coffee, or go to a friend's desk to have meetings, or I even sometimes get out take a short walk and get some fresh air. It's important to take breaks, if you stay in front of a computer for too long you can have headaches or a tired eye sight.

15. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't but I know I should. I like to get things over with so I try and do all my sites then go away from the computer. I really need to try doing that 20 20 20 thing again because that's what helps get headaches.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is a must for me to take breaks from the computer. When I have been on the computer for hours my eyes get so tired I can barely see the writing on the scren. It may take more than an hour for my eyes to make the adjustment to the point I can see clearly and I am wearing glasses when I am working. I do spend alot of time on the computer often more than 8 hours during the day working. I also try to have one day a week that I do not go near a computer screeen.

17. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I always do, but they're not always taken on a schedule or for any real length of time. I try to hop up whenever I have a little break and stretch. I've noticed when I do not do this I get terrible headaches. It's also nice to give my eyes a short break from the computer screen for a minute or two.

18. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I try to space my breaks out. But yes I have to take breaks because I spend long hours in front of the computer. If I don't take breaks I'd go crazy. My breaks usually consist of listening to some music or sitting in front of another screen like the television. LMAO. And usually they last about 10-15 minutes before I am back to work.

19. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I do take breaks in the sense that I move away from the computer. However, whether you would classify it as a break in the true sense of the word I am not sure. I move away from the computer to make the tea, do the laundry, tidy up and look after the children. Not too much of a break.

20. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I don't take nearly enough breaks from the computer. My job is to write on a computer screen, so I'm already naturally on the computer probably far too much already. Generally when I take a "break" it's watching a TV show on my computer! It's a habit I really need to break as it's not good for the eyes to be staring at a computer screen 24/7.

It's also difficult because there's nothing really to do at my place that doesn't involve the computer, because we don't have a TV. So unless I'm at school or going to the gym, or hanging friends, there's not a whole lot else to do except stare at the wall.