Cheap and tasty or Expensive quality wine?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by TuRon Davis • Aug 31, 2014.

1. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to wine, I know it can get pretty pricey. However, I prefer to take the cheap route. I know of some wines that are very inexpensive, and have great taste as well. I can't imagine paying over $20.00 or more for a bottle of wine. Are any of you big wine drinkers and or would you pay less or go for quality with more expensive wine? I like Boones Farm, and Andre' they are cheap and delicious.

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, the Coppola family brand of wine is the best of both worlds. Their white/blanco is less than $10 and their chardonnay is full-bodied and smooth at around $12-15 for a bottle.

Not sure if there's a Trader Joe's in your area but their brand name wines are very good, especially their moscato and peach champagne.

3. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Hey there! thanks for your suggestion of wine. I will try this brand and give a shot. ten bucks is right around the max I will spend for a bottle of wine anyway. However, we do have a Trader Joe's here in the KC metro area. That peach champagne sounds delicious. In addition, when it comes to moscato, I will drink just about any flavor.

4. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have all that much spare money at the moment, so I know that I would never want to spend a huge amount on a bottle of wine. I would always buy cheap things, and I don't have much knowledge about what good wine is to know any better, so the fact of the matter is that it is no issue for me at all. I have had expensive bottles bought for me on certain occasions, but I just cannot tell the difference, so while I am certainly very grateful, in the future I would not buy myself anything but the cheapest bottles that I can find in the supermarket.

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Regarding wine I'm trying to find the middle ground - not too cheap but not too expensive either. In the past I used to drink the cheapest since it had a good taste and seemed natural but I noticed that I got headaches even without drinking too much. I won't mention brands since I'm pretty sure they're local/country specific. And so, these days I'm drinking quality wine because in the end I'd rather pay a little more and have fun without headaches.

6. sharpayvargas1

sharpayvargas1Member

Threads:
    I understand. As much as possible, I really want to go to cheap wine. If it's only me, I don't care about the quality or the taste of the wine at all. It's not gonna make any difference. But I also consider other people who will drink the wine. When I have visitors who are so peculiar with wine, I serve them a better quality of wine. I'm not willing to take risks that they would dislike their stay or visit in my house. If the people present are just my friends and we are more about the socialization, whatever I serve them, It's not a big deal.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a big drinker, and so are many of my friends, so expensive wines are usually out of the picture for us. I can knock off an entire bottle of wine by myself in a couple hours, with no trouble at all, and so can my friends, lol. It's really just 4 glasses, which isn't that much if you drink a lot. That said, there are plenty of great boxed wines out there, that are not only way more convenient, but are also much more cost effective. If you are embarrassed to serve the wine from a box, just invest in a nice decanter, and refill it periodically instead. It will look even classier than just leaving the bottle out opened, since you are taking the time to aerate the wine in the process. You can get boxed wines for under $15 which are the equivalent of like 4-5 bottles of wine. Plus, you don't have to deal with garbage bags or recycle bins full of bottles. The boxes and plastic bag the wine comes in breaks down nicely.

The other benefit of boxed wines, a long as you leave the wine in it's bag, is that the wine doesn't go bad if it's not all used up. Leaving a bottle opened sitting out all evening will make it go bad. However getting one glass at a time from the boxed wine preserves the rest.

The only time I bother with an expensive wine in a bottle is if we are only going to have like one glass of it as part of an end cap to a meal, or maybe a quick drink before we head out. But if we are going to drink for several hours, it's boxed wine.

8. shanalyn323

shanalyn323New Member

Threads:
    As long as the wine tasted good I don't think I would care how much it was. If it was cheap and tasty I'd probably stick with it and then try and find foods that paired really well. I've found that Liberty Creek Sweet Red is delicious, cheap and it goes well with pepper jack cheese and grapes! You can find it at Walmart and even Walgreen's for $7.00 a bottle!

9. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    As we don't have a lot of money, we usually buy cheap and cheerful wine. I don't mind this as for me there are only three flavors of wine- red, white and rose. For my partner it is a bit different. He is a bit of a wine sob. He spends all his time sniffing it and swirling it round his mouth talking about overtones blackberry and hints of citrus.

#9Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a wine expert, but I like good quality wine mostly... I don't like sweet wines that taste like grape juice, I like dry wines that taste more sophisticated.

11. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    I do not drink wine frequently, just a few times a year, but whenever I have it, I make sure it's expensive quality wine. I do not like to have cheap wine, I don't know why, never even had it.

12. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    You can find a good bottle of wine for under $20. Try to stay away from anything less than $8 because they're mostly made of sugar to cover the less than desirable taste.

My favorite cheapy bottle is Twisted cabernet sauvignon or turning leaf chardonnay, they're around 6-8. If you have a few extra dollars to spend, look for Protocolo, a delicious spanish blend wine. I can find it around my town for $8/9 a bottle and it beats most $15/20 bottles any day.

At the end of the day, a 'good' bottle of wine is one you like the taste of and enjoy, no matter the price :)

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't drink wine, but I have friends who do. I always like to have a couple of bottles of quality wine in my home, to offer them to my visitors. Usually I buy medium priced red and white wine as an accompaniment to dinner. I always go for quality rather than quantity, as my family and friends know that I don't drink, and appreciate that I buy alcohol especially for them.

14. danasaurus

danasaurusNew Member

Threads:
    I'm a big wine drinker and for me it's all about the $10 bottles. California spoiled me as far as the quality you can get for under $10, as wine is much more expensive in other parts of the country. But unless I'm celebrating something, having a dinner party, or going out to dinner, rarely will I fork over the extra cash for a slightly better taste.

15. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a wine drinker outside of going to the free wine sampling events. I usually go to 3 wine tasting events a year at different places and I have to admit, they spoil you with all the different varieties available. Im amazed.

16. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I also take the cheap route when it comes to wine even only on occasions. I have to agree though that never get those below $10 as they taste horrible. I always prefer red since white wine makes me tipsy easily.

17. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree at the end of the day I want a glass of wine that taste good. Sometimes in my area you can find Yellowtail 2 for $11 which is a good price. When I can not find that price I try not to spend more that $15a bottle.

18. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I'm no wine snob, for sure. But, I do find if I buy a bottle that's too cheap (under $10), it means I will get a terrible headache. That extra two dollars makes a huge difference in taste, too. You'll spend two dollars on Tylenol and Egg McMuffins to try to cure your cheap wine hangover, anyway, so you may as well fork it over on the front end. I've never gone wrong with anything Spanish, and I can usually find a bottle for $10-12. Anything that says garnacha is delicious.

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have heard that price should not be a major factor in choosing wine and I tend to agree because I have tasted some expensive wines that I dislike and I've tasted cheap ones that I enjoyed a lot. I think it all pretty much boils down to taste like most things. Even if it's expensive it doesn't guarantee that it will be agreeable for most people in terms of taste, just that the process to make it might be more high priced or maybe it was just beloved by experts but when it comes to individual taste critic's opinions rarely matters and as long as you enjoy the taste it won't matter if it's expensive or not. The best way as I've heard is to just buy a lot of brands and continue to experiment and take notes on which ones you enjoy.

20. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Expensive wine is bogus. Don't waste your hard earned money on it.
    Look it up, there are many studies that show even "expert" wine drinkers cannot tell a cheap bottle from an expensive bottle.
    I don't spend over $20 on a bottle ever. I found many delicious wines for under $10!
    Recently I have been enjoying wines for under ten bucks from California, South Africa, Chili and Portugal.