Dealflicks - Have you used it yet?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by H.C. Heartland • Sep 1, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I have just come across this great site:

. You type in your location and many of the cinema theatres in your area and they will show you a comparison of how much of a discount they are providing on their tickets. One theatre in my area had discounted tickets at 32% off, the same films at another theatre were 45% off. If your favorite theatre is not listed, then you can email it to them and they will try to sign them up. The only existing drive-in movie theatre was even listed on there! Why pay more right? Have you tried any such discount websites?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Interesting, I cannot seem to get their search engine to work for me right now though. At first when you were describing it, it sounded like the Groupon model, where they not only give a steep discount to the customer, but they also pay a commission to the middleman as well, in this case Dealflicks. But after looking over their site a bit more, it looks like all they are really doing is cutting you a break on the popcorn and soda, which they are already over-charging for grossly in the first place. All the example deals I am seeing include a drink and/or some popcorn with the ticket. If I want to only go there to see the movie and didn't want any concessions, I wouldn't be saving any money. My other concern with businesses like these, is that they are not sustainable. They are bad for the local theaters because they cut into their bottom lines. And sooner or later, people start expecting these lower prices, so it devalues their offerings. The other issue is that businesses like Dealflicks, aren't really providing any service, other than listing a bunch of local theaters which can already be easily found on a search on Google. So they are siphoning traffic away from the theaters own web site.

3. swycl

swyclNew Member

Threads:
    Hi everyone,

I'm actually the co-founder/CEO of Dealflicks, so thought I'd post here to better explain what we're doing :)

I had the idea for Dealflicks after graduating college in Dec. 2010. I saw the movie 'The King's Speech', and it was a great movie. But the theater was empty. I did some research and found that over 88% of movie theater seats are empty. In fact, ~95% of seats are empty after opening weekend. The concept would be to setup a sort of 'Priceline for movie tickets' where users could get good deals and where theaters could get butts in their empty seats.

We didn't launch until July 2012, but we're now in 400+ theater locations across the US. Theaters are able to give us specific inventory for their empty showtimes, so most of our theaters restrict showtimes (i.e. opening weekend, certain films, etc.). This allows them to get butts in their empty seats vs. selling a discount voucher that can be used for their high demand seats. Also, theaters can choose what items they sell - tickets only, tickets and popcorns, larger bundles, or all of the above at the same time. Many theaters provide bundle deals, but almost 50% of our theaters provide ticket only deals as well. For instance, I live in Oakland, CA, and the nearest 5 theaters to be offer ticket only deals:

Clearly this is awesome for consumers, but what about our theater partners? Some great things have been happening for them, and this is why our program has been able to expand within the industry:

-We surveyed some of our independent theater partners in 2013 and they reported that ~75% of the customers who patronized their theaters via Dealflicks were new customers, and ~12.5% of the customers were visiting more often. A lot of the new customers used to go to theaters in the past but stopped because of options like Netflix, DirecTV, pirating movies, etc. With Dealflicks, they are now going back to the movies.

-Brooklyn Heights Cinema, a small independent theater in NYC,

"

-Bow Tie Cinemas

-Cinefamily in LA: “

.”

-Florida Twin in FL: "

."

-University Mall Theatre: "

!"

-Shady Brook Cinemas: "'

There are just some of the testimonials from some of our theater partners. As Dealflicks has become a win-win-win situation for users, theaters, and studios, we've been able to grow at a faster rate. But there's still a bunch of theaters that we haven't partnered with. If you can't find a theater in your area or if you can't find your favorite theater, you can go here to let us know:

We'll do our best to try and get them on the platform with this information, it really helps.

Thanks!

Sean

4. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    With the first post, I was interested in checking the site out. Who doesn't want to save a buck? But after reading the other commentary about how your not really saving anything your really just getting a "cut back" on already hiked up concessions, I think I'll just take a pass.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for posting that. I had not heard of that site before, but it sounds like a winner. I am going to click on it, as soon as I get through here as I am going to click on it, as I want to go to movies in the next few days. I think that it is one of the things that I want to try to save money on. The only way I save money at the movies now is with the Regal Cinema Club.