Enticed To Download a Free App?

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by Denis Hard • Sep 1, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are thousands of useful apps on the net. Scammers have also found them to be quite useful. They go around posting on forums and blogs about the "great" new app that will help you with . . .

Scammers having learned that they were missing out on something good, now use apps and the love for apps and convenience to spy on you, collect as much info about you as they want or just use your phone's resources to mine for virtual currency [bitcoins, etc]. Next time you download an app, find out out as much as you can about it because you never know . . .

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't download an app that's not from the Google Play Store. I do see a lot of ads being displayed for mobogenie though and they're being marketed falsely. I don't download an app that I merely see advertised on a website. I go directly to the Play Store, read the reviews of others, see how many downloads it generated, etc. If I'm satisfied with what I see, then I'll download it.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, OP, you have just described the Facebook application, which was found to have WAY too much access over and to your device. I have never installed these kinds of applications on my android or phone. Firstly, they would never work when I tried to install them the one time that I tried. After that I realized that I didn't actually need these applications, because I don't actually use them.

Then an article came out about how much control phone Facebook application has. It can get you photos and make phone calls on your behalf.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a great fan of apps, often you have to keep downloading updated versions and it takes up memory. I get annoyed at the updates and find I don't need them or use them as much and they take up too much space. I have a few apps, but prefer to log on and find out information when I need to.
    I do believe some people benefit from apps, because they are lazy or like them, but I do prefer to shop around for information rather than rely on one source.