Teaching a cat some tricks

Discussion in Pets started by calebmelvern • Sep 1, 2014.

1. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I adopted a cat four months ago. I'm enjoying her company a lot. Recently, I've been trying to teach her some tricks. The only one she knows right now is sit, but she only obeys me when she knows I have a treat for her. Any tips for me? Should I just keep on doing this or I'm doing it wrong?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never tried this but it is possible even though cats are usually a bit more stubborn than dogs. They can learn the tricks but they may just not always follow it, although from what I've heard they would most likely follow it most of the time.i guess the best place to get some information on this is YouTube. I think I saw a featured show there that showed a cat circus.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never tried to teach my cat anything. He taught himself. :) I got him as a tiny kitten, and he quickly figured out how to charm his way around everything, always getting what he wants. He is incredibly clever, knows how to talk and express his feelings by biting me when I am not immediately attending to his needs. I adore him. :)

4. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Just keep on doing it, but keep the training short and sweet. Cats tend to get bored very quickly and they only obey if they are enjoying themselves during the training. Try to teach them each trick for 5-10 minutes at a time and after a while they might start doing it when you tell them to, with the occasional treat of course. I've taught my cat a couple of tricks and for the most part it has worked very well. Just keep it fun for them and they will learn. Good luck!

5. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    It's possible to train a cat but not as easy as a dog. Cats respond to food. The only thing I've been able to teach mine is to recognize the sound of a can of food. This trick was taught to be by a cat rescuer that manages a pretty big colony. He said that in the event one of the cats was lost or refused to come out of somewhere all he had to do is make the clicking sound of the can and they would all come to him. It works well and I've find it useful if I need to get all cats in the same room or something, or if I want them to come out of hiding for whatever reason.

6. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    My mom owns two Siamese cats that are so very intelligent. There actually the smartest cats I've ever seen. She's taught these cats dog tricks plus some other tricks. They have even been taught how to notify someone if my mom is sick. One of them is even a guard cat that knows its territory all to well.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even dogs only obey their trainers if they have a treat as a reward for doing it during the process of teaching, so you should definitely keep doing what you do. Unfortunately, treats are the only incentive that dogs and cats respond to when you're teaching them tricks, so be consistent and she will remember what you taught her.